Are Bumper Bars Needed For Rwc?

love ke70

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.

Next time i am down your way, do invite me over, I'm sure i could show you a few.. tricks that would help you out :P

I Personally think you need to go out there with a cardboard box, made up to the same size as the inter-cooler you want to use, pull the front end off / apart / and do some test fitting. Hell, i love doing that type of stuff... fabrication work rocks.

I'm only an Pm / Email away :y:

have you definatly decided that a smaller cooler is out of the question?

yes.

teddy, thanks for the offer and whenever your passing the pie shop you know ur only a couple of minutes away and always welcome. i never made up a cardboard replica but ive been buggering around with the actual intercooler, and ive had the entire front end stripped out.

i could put it higher by chopping off the brackets for the centre grill thingy but if i do that because of the thermofan the intercooler is pressed against the bumper and 200mm of the cooler is blocked so even tho i could make it fit, it would be pointless :P

so ill run the risk and put it low, see what happens :y:

it wont fit that side, i had the radiator out and everything 2 days ago tryna fit it, but there seriously isnt room anywhere on that side

160 mm isnt excessively low, and ive got the mesh which is actually tuffer than it looks.

well its done!

RIMG0041.jpg

RIMG0040.jpg

RIMG0039.jpg

RIMG0038.jpg

ta daa!!!

well thats where shes gonna sit for a while, just gotta trim the brackets and clean them back anf give them a coat of gloss black or chrome. whats peoples opinions?

i would have cut them to length tonight but they complained at 10 as i was bashing the shit out of a peice of steel in vice gently persauding it to bend where i wanted it.

school desk frames have some good metal in them :cool:

so yeah guys, any opinions?

just avoid curbs in parking lots and i reckon I'm pretty safe :)

hmm, i really should stand still when taking photos, and maybe even look a bit more closely at what the outcome will be....meh theyre informative, not artistic :(

could you bolt the apron back on, or hold it up against the car, so we can see how much it's down from stock?

never mind carparks, meet a moderate speedhump or driveway and i think you're definitely increasing your chances of bending that thing. i really hope it works out for you, it would be a pain in the ass to have to do it all again, including buying/repairing your cooler

oh, and it's a common practice to drill holes in bumpers to allow more airflow through for oilcoolers, fmics, etc. i'm not saying make swiss cheese of the thing, you'd be surprised how effective a half dozen well placed 10mm drillings would be. also illegal, but not as obvious as removing the whole bumper

good luck, well done for thinking outside the box, but test your execution of the idea VERY carefully before hitting the open roads

Welp, i hope your prepaired to pay for another intercooler, either sooner or later.

its cheaper than firewall mods to move the engine further back to fit the thermo fan on the other side so i can then modify the centre grill brackets to make the intercooler sit up there.

and its also cheaper than getting a different front bar modified and then engineered.

if i do end up wasting this cooler maybe something smaller but I'm rating my chances at the moment :cool:

jamie: the wheelbarrow rolled onto the apron tonight (lol) as i was shutting the other shed, but ill see if i can bend it back to some resemblance of its former self and whack her back on.

if not ill grab the current daily and sit them side by side so you can see, coz the dialy is stock height, wheras this is lowered via adjustable coilovers.

i think most moderate speedhumps are a fair notch lower than 160mm, and if not, I'm up shit creek, but we'll have to see how i go, its worth a shot

ill see how my flow goes, as it stands i have about 2", maybe more, between intercooler and rear edge of bumper because it sits below the motor of the thermofan, so I'm of the impression air will hit and flow up and through that higher part still hidden, will be interesting to see what happens.

once shes goin she'll be gettin a good flog around the backyard for a while til i can get it onto the road....that should sort the men from the boys, bald rear tyres and grass + a 50m by 50m patch of grass with a whole bunch of trees...can't wait :)

considering i can go and go with the 4k spinnin wheels down there can't wait to try it under boost hehe

but yeah, i will be very cautious in my first experiences and hopefully speed bumps are less than 160mm tall :(

cheers guys

Edited by love ke70