Tow Hooks - Do We Really Need Them?

Hey guys,

I need to relocate my tow hooks, is there some kind of issue in grinding them off?

I'm planning to get one of those racing type ring ones and bolt it to the same section as what the original tow hook is on, but at a higher point, the original tow hooks are in my way.

Cheers,

Tom.

Members dont see this ad

I wouldnt know if its neccessarily a question of legalities as much as a question of safe and secure tow points determined by the manufacturer regards a position that places the minimum strain/stress on the overall construction of the body in a tow situation.Therefore I would guess that although relocating it would not be recommended by the manufacturer,as long as you are relocating to a similiar and just as secure position but just higher it might not be too much of a big deal.

As i found out the hard way one day. Yes, they are needed otherwise the towie will hook the tow line onto anywhere on the vehicle so it can be pulled onto the flatbed.

Legal side, i'm not sure. Cause when the vehicle is up on the trailer all thats needed is a couple of loops of rope or chain around the top half of the tires and then tied down. But on saying that it is safer to have the car tied down from the tow hooks. That way the trailers suspension is doing all the work.

I wouldnt be using the tow hook to hold the car down on a trailer, that is, unless you can somehow manage to fully compress your cars suspension....

Straps over two+ wheels, one round the diff to hold it back in case of an emergency, the car should be able to move up and down freely, putting the car weight+trailer weight into the leaf springs of the average trailer is a recipe for an accident over big bumps etc.

Thats what was thinking also, but i don't want to write the car off if i drill cut something i shouldnt... after all i hate cutting grinding anything off my car.

It's steel, whatever comes off can always be welded back on.

I don't see the point in replacing perfectly good tow hooks which you know are legal for "racing" tow hooks in virtually the same place... Please tell me there's another reason besides aesthetics?

AFAIK you don't even need to replace the stock ones for most forms of motorsport.. Mates have never had an issue anyway, Put it that way.

^ That's exactly my thoughts! Bonnet pins are no where near as hazardous..

That said though, They do make legal bonnet pins, They're just recessed. But yes, You make a good point about them protruding..

I still can't see the point, Seems a very Pimp My Ride type thing to do..

i belive the point of them is on race cars that are very low to begin with, with possible crazy aero (1" off the ground) they put those things on just under the headlight so the tow man has something to grab hold of when you the belly of the car is sitting in kitty litter 10m from the track.

knowone wants to go digging in gravel for your tow hook!

makes perfect sense on a track, but yeah don't think you will get very far with it on the road.

imagine getting hit by it? man would take a decent chunk out of you.

pretty good example on this porche here

http://weekendhorsepower.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/cms-auto-fair-porsche-gt3-rs-06.jpg