Ke70 Locked Diff

Members dont see this ad

just lock it, its not really worth the money to convert IMO, if its locked "properly" it will never let you down, the misconception of locked diffs comes from bogans in vn commodores doing it, extremely dodgy "yeah come on dere robbo we jus get da ol stick out der brah" (probly whilest drunk on powers gold and the like) to do hektik skids in their local industrial estate my diff is locked and hasnt let me down yet with many a heavy clutch kick

Okay. Things you should know.

1: welded diffs are illegal. For a reason.

2: welded diff will void any and all insurance you have on the car.

3: welded diffs are crap day to day.

4: welded diffs Are very ordinary to drive in the wet. I've had one in my rally car. On numerous occasions it had me reaching deep into my bag of talent to prevent something bad from happening just driving to work. They can be and are dangerous.

Save your money and buy an LSD.

Yeah, lockers are shit to daily, carparks/parking lots are ʞ©$ɟed. But they work. And they're cheap. My borgy's locked and I'll be locking my T series until I can afford an LSD.

Also, depending on what kind of clutch you'll be using, it could be even more of a bitch to drive daily...

If the car is overrated, don't lock it.

Will it survive? Yes, I have one in my khana car and it takes plenty of abuse. I haven't found it too difficult to drive myself, but I only drive the car to and from events generally because I do expect that one day the diff might catch me out so I want to minimize that chance.

Remember, they're noisier, the increase loads on just about everything and you'll probably do bearings, I've got one on the way out already. I don't mind, because as I said I rarely drive the car and the car is designed to cop a bit of abuse.

My car is not overrated, and it is not overrated for a reason.

If you want to preserve the car and not shake it to bits, flog out bushes and do wheel bearings, let alone having to worry about cops, pass on the locker.

ive only driven a car a handful of times with a locker (ca18det ae86, locked torago diff). I reckon it would be a dog to drive with stock ke70 power on tarmac (ie high grip). Spend the whole time going slow and fighting the car.

the ca18det was fun as it A) spun the tyres very easily (both of them), B) had enough grunt to just power on through the annoying understeer, ie...turned into oversteer with a snap of the throttle.

what i noticed though, was that the diff REAAALLLYY wanted to straighten up the car. like you were fighting it to keep it in a corner, especially a tight corner. and this was just with crappy 185/65/r14 tyres. if you were to get some proper grippy tyres, man it would be even worse to drive.

would be great for dirt though, since you are always sliding anyway, whats a bit more sliding!

After owning a proper (allbeit OEM torsen..) LSD, id never ever even think about a locker for tarmac use. A proper opperating LSD is a beautiful thing...

Ive locked my hilux diff for the T18 (untill I can afford an LSD or something breaks in it haha) but its track only and will be getting towed to track anyway. Had one in the T18 when I started getting rid of bits that I didn't need for the engine conversion so I sold my lsd and just locked the T series, wasn't too bad honestly and when I eventually got defected and took the car off the road the cop didn't even hear it haha.

Edited by 19914afc

It's definitely fun on dirt! At home I can barely get the thing out of the driveway as there is a few tight turns in it.

The more unnerving part of a locker is driving broad sweeping corners, when there's that mild back end surge of the diff winding and releasing, winding and releasing.

cars with locked diffs are almost impossible to push with ANY turning (ie push start etc), like proper impossible.

an amusing anicdote for you all. Involving the above ca18det ae86 with a yr22 torago diff locked with the ol' welder. car was REAAALLY low, stiff springs etc. we were at Queensland raceway one friday night, drifting around, did a big end (and i think much more...but def a big end) it still ran, but was making an aweful noise.

figured we would try our luck driving home to wynnum (about 1hr), got about 15mins from QR, temp guage goes up rapidly, engine seized. so we left it there on the side of the ipswitch motorway, somehow it was still there the next day when my mate went back with a hired trailer.

i think he got it started again somewhow, and for long enough to get it up onto the trailer. he drove home, arrived home, only to realise he has lost the key for the 86 on the way home, we reckon he left his keys ontop of his tow car, and they had fallen off on the drive.

so at home, seized engine, locked diff, STEERING LOCK stuck on, and its ~100mm off the ground. do you know how difficult it is to menouver a car like this?!?! Damn near impossible.

The tight, low speed corners like cul de sacs etc always produce some interesting sounds and clunks and then there's the turning circle...

It works for me, I don't mind putting up with stuff like that as long as when the time comes, it does what it's supposed to...

I sold a locker to a guy who wrecked his car the first day he installed it. Did great skids, but then he clipped a gutter and sheared off the wheel hub from the axle, flush with the diff housing. Which then caused the car to spin the other way on 3 wheels, straight into a power pole.