May 31, 201214 yr comment_607235 So I have a hydraulic handbrake and to hook it up I need another shirt length of Bundy tube to connect it to the master cylinder, I ripped out my fuel delivery and return tube and also the charcoal canister tube as I won't be using them, I'm going to run braided hose for fuel lines.. My question is, is it safe to use fuel pipe for a braking system, my mate seems to think it won't work as brake systems are a lot higher pressure, yet the pipes look identical in wall thickness and material.. I've already got it all bent up ready for flaring and fittings, just wanted to know am I cooking a recipe for disaster ?? Report
May 31, 201214 yr comment_607254 Why risk it? The tube isn't that expensive. Also consider the pressure the fuel system is designed to cope with is way less than a braking system. If you're doing your fuel lines properly, why not do the same for the brakes? Report
June 1, 201214 yr comment_607282 Why risk it? The tube isn't that expensive. Also consider the pressure the fuel system is designed to cope with is way less than a braking system. If you're doing your fuel lines properly, why not do the same for the brakes? My sentiments exactly. The last place to skimp is the brake system. It's like $50 for 25ft of steel brake tube, peanuts! Report
June 1, 201214 yr comment_607288 I always get my hydraulic hoses made up at the local hydraulic shop, i tell them what it is to be used for, they suggest the components, they cost stuff all, and they pressure test it to 1 million PSI right in front of me. (nb test pressure might be slight exadurated) i woudl make them myself like you do irokin, but i can't pressure test them myself unfortunately. Report
June 1, 201214 yr comment_607313 Yeah brakes arent to be messed with, I'm sure it'd work well and right but just for peace of mind do it with new stuff. Report
June 1, 201214 yr comment_607325 It might be ok but its old and rebending old bends is not wise so I'd go with new stuff, also the flares are the hardest part and it takes an expensive version of the tool to do it right in either single or double flares, shops usually have a good machine and produce top notch flares and if they don't ask for it to be done again. Report
June 1, 201214 yr Author comment_607352 I've played around with Bundy tube a fair bit before and my flaring tool is a double flare which cost me over 200 quid.. I suppose I better use new stuff, may as well run new stuff all around, but I live in the middle of no where, can anyone suggest a place to buy it online, also what size is ae71 brake tube ? Edited June 1, 201214 yr by dbr11k Report
June 1, 201214 yr comment_607355 on a side note, what sort of pressure should brake lines be tested to? Report
June 2, 201214 yr comment_607427 More like 1/4 inch or possibly smaller, definately smaller than the fuel line. Sectional volume is important. There is a place called IFS (industrial fittings sales) that does fuel and gas fitting stuff here in Brisbane. Rocklea is the suburb. They can sell you some tube on the phone and send it to you. Just confirm what size you need with calipers and order it. Report
June 2, 201214 yr Author comment_607575 Rightyo thanks for the advice guys, ill give them a call and see what they can do for me, might straighten out the piece I've already bent up, measure it, and order one the same length but get them to do the flares and fittings for me Report
June 4, 201214 yr comment_607758 The last hard brake line I had made was from the junction on the diff to the drum, a few bends and a flare nut each end, it cost me 8 bucks. Don't skimp and use fuel line. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now