Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Standard K Motor Leaded Or Unleded

Featured Replies

I was under the impression you needed some sort of dispensation if you wanted to burn it though...

is there any gains from avgas? my dads got a license to buy it so i have access to it.

I knew I shouldn't have said anything......

 

I wasn't suggesting anyone actually use avgas. This was over 20 (edit: actually 30 years ago) years ago when the world was a different place.

 

No. If you are keen & flush with cash, just put one of the 100 octane unleadeds in it. Unless you have made various assorted changes to your engine, it will be a waste of time.

Edited by parrot

I know of a couple of servos in brisbane that I know sell race fuel/av gas but pretty sure it's just out of drums around the back and if you know the people, haha.

 

Be prepered to pay a price though! Look at the price of 98, I wouldn't want to know how much other stuff is!

you can get 130 octance race fuel from victorian performace warehouse for a measly $140 something bucks lol

I used to put the Avgas in my stocko 3K. Went like shit off a shovel.

Whats everyones thoughts on ethanol fuels in k motors ?

Whats everyones thoughts on ethanol fuels in k motors ?

 

I can't imagine that crudish carburettor engines such as the K motor family would like it.

 

This might be worth a read: http://www.fcai.com.au/environment/can-my-vehicle-operate-on-ethanol-blend-petrol

  • "The use of ethanol blended petrol in engines impacts the air/fuel ratio because of the additional oxygen molecules within the ethanol's chemical structure".

I can't imagine that crudish carburettor engines such as the K motor family would like it.

 

This might be worth a read: http://www.fcai.com....ol-blend-petrol

  • "The use of ethanol blended petrol in engines impacts the air/fuel ratio because of the additional oxygen molecules within the ethanol's chemical structure".

 

The crappy litle carby on our Honda weed eater motor seemed to handle the ethanol fuel ok. Just needed to drill the jet out a wee bit.

From memory, I think it was roughly $1.30 litre in the late 80's, at least at this servo in Footscray. Hate to think what it would be now.

 

Can't recall what I paid at the airport.

 

Somewhere is a picture of my car at the Ballarat airport bowser with a Cessna lined up behind it. Challenge of Clubs circa 1994. I remember distinctly I paid about 90c a litre for it, which at the time (post-ish Gulf war) was cheaper than normal fuel! Normally when you rolled up with Jerry cans they had to impose a further tax as it wasn't for aircraft use, hence it was normally around the $1.20 mark. That day he just couldn't be arsed working it out.

 

God I miss those days.

 

Note: AvGas has a very distinctive smell from the exhaust when you use it. VERY distinctive. If you're caught running 100LL (very hard to get high lead these days....) not only the Police, but the EPA will rip you a very expensive new hole. A 4 digit expensive new hole.

We used to run our race cars (i.e the only car we had) during the week to get to work, then on the weekend turn up to whatever sprint, motorkhana, challenge of clubs, autocross was on that weekend.

 

For sprints we would make an extra effort. Splash in just enough fuel to get to the circuit, fill it one third full with avgas then leave it to idle, regularly sniffing the exhaust so we would know when the avgas had come through. Then we would give it a bit more advance and go for it!

 

I miss those days too.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.