Ke70 - Turbocharged 3K Build - Now Ke30 Coupe

RO78IN

I'm not overly familiar with the lifter placement and lifter bore spread on the k motors, but most roller lifters for aftermarket applications run tie bars (like these)

IMG_3266.jpg

Most adaptations of chevy roller lifters require a notch in between the lifter bores to accomodate the tie bar, or like someone mentioned earlier, using a different design, and some notches in the walls.

To run roller lifters (especially with a tie bar) you need to ensure that the lifter bores are 100% square and true. a few though may be ok at low revs and when running the motor over by hand to check clearances etc, but once it gets some revs, the strain on the lifters (if they are not running 100% square to each other) and the tie bar is enormous.

To get around that, alot of guys machine the lifter bores and run bronze sleeves, gives a bit more leeway.

As mentioned before, roller rockers have a roller tip for the valve tip, reduced the friction applied as the rocker tip slides/rolls across the valve stem during the arc-open-close motion.

I'm not sure on your piston to valve clearance, but if you find yourself lacking in the available lift department (for cam grinds) then you can always look at upping the rocker ratio to compensate (or just to get more lift at the valve)

In the holden six six world, standard rockers are 1.5 ratio, and you can buy anything up to 1.75:1 ratio in an aftermarket roller rocker.

Good to see someone thinking outside the box with a project though :) top work.

Is the crank you are working with fully counterweighted or are they a piss poor design like the early holden crank?

ohhh, one last thing, just notice that lifter "tip" in the photo, Not sure if its just me (or I'm looking at the wrong thing?) but that doesnt look like any sort of roller I've seen before, looks more like a spring loaded swipe face? (so similar to a traditional lifter would be, but with a high spring tension that allows some up/down movement to reduce the tension/friction?)

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOT ENOUGH TO WARRANT THAT SPEND!!!

:D

Anyway, I thought i'd throw up a photo of the new car that will eventually get this engine... All in all, not in bad condition, but i'm struggeling to get this thing done for toyotafest which was the goal. Not so much an issue of getting it in and wired, more so an issue of simply getting an exhaust that will fit in there (headers). ANyway, otherwise all is good...

post-15280-0-72302200-1348712645_thumb.jpg

So then i had to set about getting all the parts to do a semi-rebuild. in the end, it wasnt possible so i done the 'dodgey'. I got some Rust-off / wd40 and cleaned it all up as best i could. It didn't turn out too bad. I then Spent a lot more time cleaning. Once it was all off (the liners and the piston) i got a small Hone and quickly ran it up and down all the cylinders.

Cranked the motor over quite a few times and were getting some crap from between the rings (i assume) and kept going till on more appeared. Anyway, put the engine all back on and she fired up pretty well straight away (with some fuel down the carbs!) and ran quite well.

As she sits now, the carbs linkages and all need adjustment. How it is, it wont idle below 1800, which without an exhaust and what appears to be a large cam is beautiful! But not practical...

As it sits now:

post-15280-0-47339500-1349071717_thumb.jpg

post-15280-0-90040700-1349071747_thumb.jpg

Hey Ninja,

Yep it sucked. Bought the engine only like 7 days ago, the guys was like' yeah man, awesome engine, nothing wrong and stored well'. The thing was basically seized... Anyway, i'm just glad i got it running without having to do a complete build on it... As its only a temperary engine until the race thing is done...

• 4 weeks later...

Just a heads up. The current Race magazine has an article about an IPRA Datsun 1200 running a turbo A12 which may be good for stealing ideas from. Apparently it's unreasonably quick. The version 2 motor has a CBR1100 16v head bolted to it! The website for the magazine is www.racemagazine.com.au, it's usually pretty out of date though.

Thanks for the heads up;

Unfortunately just been very busy lately with working overseas, getting married in 4 weeks and trying to Train for Triathlons (3 sports is a bad idea BTW) so i've struggling just to keep the house work going.

Not to mention that i finally got all the odds and ends sorted with the 5K and started only to find the Head Gasket was leaking. Ordered one from the local auto suplies store, waited 5 days only to find they hadn't ordered it! FML LOL. Anyway, rocked up today, so hopefully on sunday i'll get a crack at getting it running, then its off to the exhaust shop...