Ke30 Vs Ke70

Rollarolls

Members dont see this ad

Can't say much about KE30's because I've never driven one, but I own a KE70 so here's my 2 cents.

They're not as old as '30's so parts are a lot easier to find. Both have 4K engines but I think the KE30 is lighter, so it might be a fraction quicker. Probably only by a bee's dick so let's just say they're the same in that respect.

KE70's are popular platforms for race/drift applications because they have a strong chassis, there's loads of aftermarket/interchangeable parts, and here on Rollaclub there's tonnes upon tonnes of support for things like 4A-GE engine conversions, suspension upgrades, and so forth. Lots of bits pretty much bolt straight into a KE70 for upgraded performance (even KE30 lower control arms for negative camber), whereas with KE30's you might find yourself running into situations where you'll actually have to fabricate mounts, crossmembers, etc. or modifying existing hardware to make stuff fit.

Then again, the older the Corolla, the cooler you'll be... :elvis:

What Altezza said, the KE70 rear end sets them apart from earlier models. Depending where you live though sourcing a 2 door may be hard if that's what you're set on.

Look up 'Nisrola's KE30 thread for uber goodness. Depending on how you want to drive it really will affect what you should buy.

..and what he didn't say is....

KE70s have a 5link rear suspension, but all numbers lower than that still have Roman cart leaf springs!! So everything from KE10 to KE55 (and ALL the wagons) are stuck in the dark ages when it comes to handling!

It's more the front ends. Rack and pinion in the ke70 was the biggest upgrade of all in my opinion. There are lots of leaf sprung cars that can be made to handle well. And i could push a stock ke10 equally as hard as a ke70 and it'd be the front i'd lose confidence in.

The leaf springs aren't so bad, you just need to know what you're doing, 4" blocks and stock shocks is not the way to go. Yet people do and then complain and say 'leaf springs suck' no.. you suck.

Lack of front swaybar in a ke10 is just stupid, drum brakes on the front of ke1x and ke2x and just a major wtf as mine didn't even work when i got it and the old guy had it for 9 years..

Well, all of those... 10 or 15years of development did make some changes...

You will find a 2-door of anything but a KE70 much easier than the 2-door 70 itself unless you get a T18. The 2-door 70 was never sold here.

However you will get a few steps ahead in technology with the KE70, and with that comes a larger heavier body. The wider/lower body of the KE70 probably explains the better handling as well as the 5link & the rack steering,

If you can get an AE71 you get the real benefit of a newer larger car, or take a KE70 and get it out to 1500 or 1600cc with the 5K or 4AGE.

Depends on what driving you do and how many passengers you take. I take the KE70 on 7hr journeys along the Great Dividing Range quite regularly without a worry, it is comfortable to drive for a day. I wouldn't rush to take a KE30 on the same... especially crammed with house-fixing tools or The Girl's university luggage.

Well looks like the ke70 wins without a doubt.

the ke30 does have few good points though.

* lighter, a fair bit lighter actually, 200kgs at this weight means everything.

* leaf suspension, a much prefered platform for drag racing.

* classic looks. A ke70 looks cool for sure, but the 70's is where styling peaked, and not just in toyotas.