Short Shifter

NinjaMekanik

Members dont see this ad

T50 gearlevers fit ke70 gearboxes..

I've made a few, there's no real proper way to do it..

First one i just cut the black piece of the lever in half and took around 3" of of the tube out and welded it back together..

Second one i pulled the black piece off entirely and just thread the lower piece of the lever (silver part) This is for use with like a 25mm gearknob though..

The way i'd do it 'properly' is remove the black piece from the gearlever, thread the lower shaft and have a new shorter top piece that screws on made up on a lathe, plenty of people would do it for a cash in hand after hours deal.

Incase you didn't get what i mean, the black part (top of the lever) comes if if you force it

Theres short shifters and shortened shifters if that makes sense. You can

have one or the other or even both as they are different.

A short shifter reduces throw on a gearlever by lengthing the pivot point and a spacer to compensate.

(The angle of changing gears is reduced at the same height - ie less throw)

A shortened shifter reduces throw by shortening the gearstick.

(The angle of changing gears is the same but on a reduced height - ie less throw)

Whats the difference?

The gearstick height from the steering wheel, really for performance you want that gearstick

close to the wheel and not buried in the gearstick boot somewhere on the floor half a meter away.

The short shifter was a proper race thing but needs fabrication and can be cost a bit if not off shelf,

the shortened shifter is a cheap and nasty way of trying to get the same result I guess but people still

do it and call it a short shifter anyway hence the confusion of it all.

• Like 1

The spacer is tricky with bolt holes as they locate on the bolt hole spigot and then you have

to extend the bottom bit under the lever which is best done in some sort of jig and tig welded.

Try a custom fabrication place, 15 - 20mm is what you want for about 33% - 50% reduction in throw.

A family member did the cheap and nasty method in his Mazda and it was a prick of a thing to drive. Notchy, hard to shift. Basically it was a pig. Turned me off shortened shifters ever since.

A mate had a proper short shifter in his Nissan. Mush nicer to drive, but still too short a throw for my liking. About 5cm total distance between gears......