Temperature Switch Via Sender

ATOYOTA

I've got an electric fan on my KE70 and I'm trying to figure out how to wire up a dial to adjust what temperature the fans kick in, but I don't want to go thermostat.

I've got one of those Davie's Craig thermo switches with the probe you stick in the top hose but that's a leaky prick and I don't like the thought of a bit of metal bending off and getting stuck in my water pump.

SO. My question is this: is there a wiring diagram I can follow to perform such a procedure?

Members dont see this ad

Why do you want to adjust the temperature anyway? Controlling this temperature range has little impact on the temp your engine runs at, it's only changing how hard the fan runs.

I would recommend a thermoswitch with a temp range to match a similar range as the thermostat. This will vary depending on where your switch is located, but it's not hard and I can give you a hand.

If you have your switch before the radiator, you probably want a higher temp unit (100+ degree switch). If your switch is after the radiator, use a lower temp unit (80-90 degree). double check these numbers against the thermostat range as well.

The Tridon catalog has all the info you need to find a thermoswitch that works for you.

http://www.tridon.com.au/databank/documents/CAT032-FCp67-128.pdf

No, simply using a temp controlled switch to activate the fans.

I am guessing that ATOYOTA wants a switching system to activate his fan with a minimum of fuss, rather than a convoluted thermostat system.

I have put an AE82 4AC top thermostat housing on my AE86 4AGE RWD bottom thermostat housing. This means you can use a factory AE82 electric switch to easily activate the fans via a two relay setup The Witzl posted. I think the factory switch is 82 degrees (but not certain), but as you say, there are various other fairly expensive options in the tridon catalogue.

The method above is vary reliable, looks factory, and if you really want to fiddle with temp actuation, you can do so by changing to a different switch

yeah any FWD car will have a simliar switch, it just turns on a X degC, and turns off again once the temp gets below.

And all it does is ground the wire on the sensor when its off? (either way its designed so that if the sensor is buggered the fan will stay on)

I found a catalogue once that had all the different temperature ranges for each car. not sure where that was, was years ago.

I bougth a controller thing for my thermo fan back in the day (some sort of jaycar kit, can't seem to find it atm), it was kinda cool in that you could adjust the turn on temp, and the turn off temp. and adjust the histeresis so it didnt go on and off all the time.

Reality is, i set it to about 82 deg. and never touched it again.

So just go the ae82/FWD sensor route.

The best kind of insurance when it comes to water temp is a decent reliable temperature guage. So you can actually see whats happening!

This is the toymods thread for those interested.

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tech-conversions/95-guide-how-wire-up-thermofans.html

There is also a discussion of tridon senders in this thread from the FAQ

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/faq/5125-tridon-thermo-fan-switch-catalogue.html

In true Toymods fashion, it soon became a discourse on how to initiate nuclear fission with a temp sender, but if you keep to the main focus, it will tell you what you need to know.

If you can, I'd put a light on as well, as unless you watch the temp gauge all the time you might miss it going over 100deg and only see it when it drops back to low after the water has all gone... When there is no water on the sender unit it shows as a low temperature, just before the motor cooks itself.

I'm hoping the new dash in the rally car will include nice bright lights for low oil pressure and high water temp, something the driver can't miss in daylight. Electric fans are on the list there too.

I used to navigate in my mates Datto 1600, and that had one of those large generic amber clearance lights connected up to the pressure switch.

Unfortunately one NIGHT the light went on whilst barreling through a stage. That was sufficient to temporarily blind him and we ended up off the road in a ditch. So don't make it too bright......

I want the fans to kick in after a certain temperature so it doesn't have the tendency to run too cool like it does now. Right now it's just hooked up to a relay that switches it on with ignition, socit's kinda like having the old mechanical fan attached.

Basically I'm after a hardwired version of the Davies Craig kit but utilising the existing temp. sender to reduce clutter and so there's less individual things to go wrong.

Another option is to use a fan control temp switch from a later Toyota i.e an AE82, and drive your fans via a relay setup. There is a good write up on toymods with diagrams. Works very well

This sounds pretty much like what I'm after. Don't supose you've got a link to that thread?

EDIT: Scratch that, wrote the post at work today and only just posted it now.

Edited by ATOYOTA
  • Upvote 1