Whatever Happens To.....

Slow Joe

Members dont see this ad

Yeah they seem to be a fairly sought after part. Took me a while to get a KE55 K50 in good condition at a fair price. Even 7 or 8 years ago they were not very common at wrecking yards. If they did, they were asking $400-$500. Other people have no trouble finding one. Probably was easier for me to get a K-T bellhousing from over the Tasman or from Asia.

KE70 K50s are more common, so the rear extension housing along with the shifter from a KE55 K50 is sort after. Then the gearbox can be installed in a KE2X and KE3X without cutting, keeping originality. If the gearbox stuffs up, rather than rebuilding, the extension housing can be installed on a KE70 K50 gearbox, which is easier to find.

I've search for a KE55 K50 shifter twice. The first time, I got my hands on a KE70 K50 for $50, and also got a KE55 extension housing without the shifter. Gave up looking for the shifter. The second time, I got a KE55 K50 that had the shifter cut; probably to fit a gear knob, but I was able to transfer the top part of the shifter from a K40. The ball/base part of the shifter is the important part, since other shifters won't fit properly.

I think that because the KE55 K50s are less common, there are not many in good condition, and they get tampered with.

Just another annoying thing, TA22 Celica 5 speed knobs are difficult to find. I've got 3 TA22 T50s all without the gear knob. They usually sell for $100 or higher.

Edited by bruce

The wrecker (or breaker!) who pulls the gearbox out of the car throws away the shifter with the leftovers for scrap.

Nek minnit someone buys the gearbox sans shifter, thinking his 4 speed shifter will do.

Before long, the only shifters that exist are in running cars fitted with them. None spare. Everyone looking!

Q.E.D.

Sucks though.

I was under the impression that all K box shifters were the same or similar. As in they will all work just may be different in the angle of the throw.

I put my K40 KE70 box shifter straight into a K50 KE70 box and I have heard they also work in T50's (rumor).

I seriously doubt Toyota would have redesigned the shifter between boxes.

Happy to be proven wrong.

Hi,

From above comments...

A KE70 4 speed shifter will fit a KE70 K50 box YES...

A K50 from a late model KE70 will fit a T50 box same shifter....

HOWEVER

Early KE70 earboxes the shifter is slightly smaller and will not fit the T50 box. Later ones are larger and do fit :)

Found this out when cutting up gear sticks to make a short shifter. Made one froma K40 shifter from a KE70 go to put it on my K50 in a KE30...Wont fit...to small.....thats when I started looking and in KE70 there are two sizes. I found larger shifters on the later boxes. And the later box shifter is the SAME as a T50 so T 50 short shifter kits are bolt on to K50 boxes froma KE70 :)

Cameron