Legalities Of Engine Conversion In Qld

rickfist

Members dont see this ad

I had my SR20DET KE55 done 12 Months ago in QLD. However, I was under the old rules. This is just from what I have heard but the NCOP brings QLD into line with many of the other states. I am guessing a lot of people would have been rushing to get in under the old laws. From what I hear it can be VERY difficult and costly to engineer cars in some other states vs here. Guessing it will be a bit of a mess as far as information goes until people have worked it all out..

Edited by mark1414

The rule are not difficult if the modifications are done properly. The cost is related to having to test and prove things are safe and fit for purpose. A tummy rub and sheel be right mate don't cut it anymore. I have been using the NCOP since it first came out over 6 years ago.

Its a lot better if people take the time to read the NCOP for themselves, and understand things in the letter of the law. I could understand coming on a corolla forum and asking about specific points in the document for clarification, but I cannot understand someone who hasn't read it posting this drivel, and thinking we will filter and dumb down any info they may need a in a more brief format. Nor should any qualified automotive engineer have to waste their expensive time re-writing freely available info for plebs who cannot even be ʞ©$ɟed reading it for themselves.

Reading legislation is one of the most tedious and rewarding parts of a well planned existence. Its ok once you get into it, and its nice to know the laws on issues that pertain directly to your most expensive habits.

• Upvote 1

Its a lot better if people take the time to read the NCOP for themselves, and understand things in the letter of the law. I could understand coming on a corolla forum and asking about specific points in the document for clarification, but I cannot understand someone who hasn't read it posting this drivel, and thinking we will filter and dumb down any info they may need a in a more brief format. Nor should any qualified automotive engineer have to waste their expensive time re-writing freely available info for plebs who cannot even be ʞ©$ɟed reading it for themselves.

Reading legislation is one of the most tedious and rewarding parts of a well planned existence. Its ok once you get into it, and its nice to know the laws on issues that pertain directly to your most expensive habits.

so what is more specific than asking if someone has put a 4age or ca18 in a ke30 in the last 12 months and what do they do to have it pass engineering because rules have changed ... read the post smart ass.. sorry for sullying your precious forum space ...i made the mistake of thinkin of asking like minded enthusiast but so far aside from 3 people have found a wall of dickhead shooting me down for merely asking a simple question thank you so much ...rewarding as reading legislation might be your insults galvanised you as a wanker imo ... and i have no problem dumbing it down for you if you request it .. thank you for derailing a simple thread

If you want an engineer to talk to call Keith at KCF rally sport in narangba

He is on the TMR board and can Answer any questions

... cheers bud will do appreciate that
  • Downvote 1

so what is more specific than asking if someone has put a 4age or ca18 in a ke30 in the last 12 months and what do they do to have it pass engineering because rules have changed ... read the post smart ass.. sorry for sullying your precious forum space ...i made the mistake of thinkin of asking like minded enthusiast but so far aside from 3 people have found a wall of dickhead shooting me down for merely asking a simple question thank you so much ...rewarding as reading legislation might be your insults galvanised you as a wanker imo ... and i have no problem dumbing it down for you if you request it .. thank you for derailing a simple thread

Yep. You're the pleb I'm referring to. I don't know if you realise this, but in the legislation it states what you can and cannot do, so coming here and asking about specific engines is a joke. The document does not refer to many specific engines, just capacities and weights etc. Read the document, and stop expecting other people to explain the exact one part you give a ʞ©$ɟ about in an easy for a pleb to get format.

A lot of people would have had those engines mod plated in the last 12 months, most before the rule change. A question that shows awareness of the world outside your bedroom, might have been "Has anyone gotten these engines mod plated since the rule change?"

Having been on this site for years, we get these threads all the time, and its completely ignorant for you to ask what can and cannot be done to a bunch of people who arent qualified to pass your car when its done, who are all in different places with different ideas about what can and cannot be done. Get my point?

Read the legislation - Form your own ideas about what you can do - Pass those ideas by someone qualified to pass your car and put your heads together to refine your plan - Then post it on the internet if you wish to share.

You have done this:

Form your own ideas about what you want to do - Post it on the internet.

You've skipped the most important parts. If you wont read the legislation for yourself then you need to talk to someone who is informed on the laws (not generally the wider audience of a corolla forum). You can get in touch with your states transport authority and get a list of approved persons to look at your car. Then you can ring them and talk to them, many of them if you wish, and see how your ideas are received.

Anyhow, you can suffer through it if you like, I don't really care. Keep being rude to people too, thats lovely.

• Upvote 1

Reading through the NCOP this morning has been quite interesting. It seems they are acknowledging that people are carrying out these modifications. There are few things you can't do (within reason), just guidelines for things may/should/must do if you're going to do them.

For example I was surprised to read that a 3.6 litre NA engine is fine in a 900kg Corolla assuming all other guidelines are met.

Rick your 4AGE or CA18det conversion is certainly certifiable under the provisions in LA2 or LA3. Though I have no idea how that has been working anecdotally and even the guidelines recommend checking with an engineer prior to fabrication.

A lot of people would have had those engines mod plated in the last 12 months, most before the rule change. speculation or proof? i know a shitload of cars that were rushed through but since the grace period i know of none ...

A question that shows awareness of the world outside your bedroom, might have been "Has anyone gotten these engines mod plated since the rule change?"explain how my questions is any different to how you say i should have stated it ?

" i was wondering if anyone has had a ke30/70 pass engineering in QLD in the last 6=12months since law changes or proposed changes as i was considering 4age/ca18 swap on my ke30 but wasnt entirely sure if any engineers were signing these conversions off of recent"

i understand there is 10000 threads about engine conversions i also understand there is a NCOP full of information but all of that means nothing if there is not anyone mod plating them and signing them off .

... i don't find being referred to as a pleb witty or funny ..so maybe you should consider not throwing stones in your patrician glasshouse if you don't want rude comments ...

^^

Ring Keith at KCF,

He will and can give you all the information you need

Cmon guys move on now, it's all good

Otherwise bring a carton over and I'll cook a spit roast and tell you everything I know haha

^^hah what do drink? I love a beer and learning from people who have done it before.

dude do a 3rz conversion. This thread has got me reading the NCOP and as mechanical sympathy states a 900kg e30/e55 is capable of a 3400cc to 3600cc Na motor. bog stock you've got more power from a 3rz than a 4agze. 4a's and ca's are both 20+ yrs old, you can find a 03 rz for $1600. I'm personally past the point of no return with an SR but would really love to see someone do the rz conversion :D