Victorian Engineering Rules And Regulations For Engine Upgrades

MIKE KE55

When upgrading your engine or even just putting something in of same or potentially less power you need an engineers certificate. So how does this process work and what does it cost here in Victoria.

What are your experiences, both positive and negative.

Can you dispelled any myths and promote this course of action for some of us.

Example.

Corolla on eBay didn't sell for 18K had an engineers cert and a v8.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Members dont see this ad

Firstly,it is my belief that in Victoria,if you upgrade an engine with capacity increase of 20% or less of the largest engine option available for that particular model,then an engineering certificate is not required.

Honestly,your safest route of action is to simply call a vic roads authorised engineer and ask the question, there are lists of them on the internet and I think vic roads web site,it doesn't cost you for a call like this,the costs start once you begin the project.There are a lot of things that need to be complied and many that don't matter so you really need to have all your plans/facts together in your head when you speak to them. I believe that in general terms,certificates can run you from $800 up.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/SafetyAndRules/SaferVehicles/LicensedVehicleTesters/VehicleAssessmentSignatoryScheme.htm

You really need to talk to one of the engineers linked above.

Thought are that it's really hard for us to say - has the conversion been carried out to a high standard? How is the roadworthiness of the vehicle generally? Is it a stripped out, matt black, cig lockered hose beast with a 3" side pipe?

That Windsored '35 coupe on Ebay was awesome. A 289 looks much better than a 1UZ imo.

post-18751-0-56116600-1389592524_thumb.png

post-18751-0-97310500-1389592562_thumb.png

post-18751-0-55430200-1389592601_thumb.png

My experience is old now, and related to putting a 4AGE 16 valve into an AE86. Essentially, as that engine wasn't available via the manufacturer in that chassis in this country, it needed engineer approval.

Yes I know it was available overseas, yes I know a couple of evaluation cars came in (wait for the inevitable rumours of "x" other manufacturer imports), yes I know it is the same block etc etc.

However it gets down to different braking systems, emissions and so on.

This may not be relevant to your specific situation, but gives you some insight into vicroads engineering thinking.

The only way to find out is to write to them, outline what you plan to do, and seek advice. They were very helpful.

Probably not what you want to hear, but there you go. Asking the person over the counter at vicroads is a waste of time.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/PermitsModificationsAndDefects/Modifications/NotifyingVicRoadsOfChangesAndModifications.htm

This is a cut and paste of the more relevant section.

Change of engine

1. Replacement engine is identical to the original engine, or is an option allowed by the manufacturer for the same model vehicle

The optional engine must be offered in Australia by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle (or certified variants). The change of engine may be recorded by VicRoads provided that the registered operator or a motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer signs a declaration certifying the engine is optional for the vehicle model, and that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that optional engine have been completed.

You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre to have the vehicle's engine inspected to confirm the new engine details. No appointment is required. You will also need to complete a Change of Vehicle Description form.

2. Replacement engine is not of a type offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle or where alterations, or changes to the vehicle's frame or structure are made, and/or specially fabricated supports or structures are used

You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre for an inspection of the vehicle to confirm the new engine details. You will also need to complete a Change of Vehicle Description form and provide VicRoads with:

• a VASS Approval Certificate from a VicRoads Vehicle Assessment Signatory
  • an original receipt for the purchase of the engine as proof of ownership of the engine

3. Replacement engine is not of a type and/or make offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle, but is equivalent in general configuration, power, mass, and emissions standard to that of the original or an optional engine for the vehicle model and can be installed without any structural alterations.

The change of engine may be recorded by VicRoads provided that the registered operator or a motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer signs a declaration certifying that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that engine, have been completed.

A Change of Vehicle Description form must be completed providing new engine details. An inspection to confirm engine details is also required unless a Certificate of Roadworthiness or VASS Approval Certificate including the new engine number is provided (only for a currently registered Victorian vehicle). An original receipt for the purchase of the engine must be provided as proof of ownership of the engine.

When a VASS Approval Certificate has been supplied for a replacement engine, then an equivalent replacement engine can be fitted without another VASS Approval Certificate being presented (eg 350 c.i. V8 engine replaced with 350 c.i. V8 engine).

Complications tend to arise due to dickheads who do the wrong thing and kill themselves or others AND the desire for govt. departments to make money BUT I think that Vic. is still more lenient than some states!

Good luck with the questionbs,hope you get the answers you want/need...

That's a fair point Oldie. Having four kids myself I'm in no hurry to end up a toll. I just hope that there is an financially amicable solution that keeps us all happy.

I've heard rumours that there is a 3000 dollar test involved but having had a hectic week in the heat I've been unable so far to put a number of questions to rest. But be assured I will gladly divulge any information I obtain.

As it stands the mazrolla has a straight through 3 inch exhaust and a modified nikki carburettor which has been mod plated in Queensland.

It's in desperate need of nolathane and upgraded brakes and powersteering wouldn't go astray either.

Just hope there's a simple registerable recipe out there which once ticked won't cost too much in cert.

Guess it all comes down to what your building,if its a modified road car,maybe starts at $800 and works its way up depending on complexity,street rods and ICV I can easily see costing in the $1000's. The performance and custom car fraternity are a soft touch because we don't have the political clout to say that enough is enough and have anyone seriously listen to us! Think about that guy that got in to politics in the last election through the motor vehicle lobby,has anyone heard a peep out of him or his supporters since? We do have the strength of numbers but just can't get it going well enough to be a force to be reckoned with..

If it's already Qld mod plated you SHOULD be right.

A good mates 400 chev powered LC torana breezed Vic reg with the mod plate an a roady.

I've never payed more than $900 for a cert. I've had a few done both pre and post ncop too.

Hi there Thomas little corolla is full mod plated ( $900 )ke11 -5k engine , because it is over 20% increase from factory motor we had to put collapsible steering column / retractable seat belts to all 4 corners / brake upgrade and as there were quite a few other mods ( disc brake rear / manufactured gear box mount / bigger wheels / quad carby's / oil catch can / widened wheel track / coil over front end / adjustable cross member ) just to mention a few we didn't find the engineering all that hard and well worth every cent for the peace of mind knowing that your ride is SAFE and legal. Good luck your build and it is worth doing it right.

Cheers:- Stuart

Edited by TOMMYS Ke 11

• 4 months later...

Hey guys.

I'm sussing out getting a 2tg into my 55 coupe. I may have been lucky enough to stumble across a te37 engine crossmember(tbc). This will save having to fabricate mounts which is one little hurdle covered. 1 of many hurdles I know but I am in the process of sorting solutions for those I know of so far.

I am intrigued to know of àny others in vic who have had their car engineered with a 2tg into ke30/55. What sections were required and what stumbling blocks did you come across.

Always value the opinions of those who have experience behind them.