Best Engine For 79 Ke55

79ke55rolla

Hi guys

I have a 79 corolla ke55 which is auto. After using it as a daily driver for the past 10 years with the stock 4k engine, I have now decided for bit more power and thus a efi engine.

Now if you guys please help me in selecting a good engine and gearbox for my car, that would be greatly appreciated. I am not after too much horse pwer , anything above 75kw I am happy with. I want to keep the car auto.

If you or a friend/shop does this type of work, I am more than happy to pay you to do the job.

Thanks and kind regards

Members dont see this ad

No idea of your budget but consider a 7ke

Its not 75kw but a 7ke would be a big improvement . Lots more torqe than the 4k

Would make a sweet cruiser and You could keep your autobox wich would save lots of work and $

hmmm thanks for the replies peoplez.

I don't want to convert to manual as I want to keep the car as stock as possible.

Other thing is I am getting pretty fuel economy (10L/100km) and I want to keep it this way, what do you guys reckon if I get a webber carby and a bigger exhaust running with the original 3 speed auto. Would it affect the fuel economy and will the power gained be significant enough to warrant this mod.

I am not looking for a race car, just a good daily driver. A car that will take off a lot faster and a**holes wont tailgate me all the time LOL. if that makes sense. (power equivalent to maybe a 2000 lancer)

Do you guys reckon that;s a good idea or better off to go with a 5k or 7ke. If i go with the option of webber and exhaust willing to spend $1500 to get it done in a shop.

I guess what I am saying is i want more power! after driving the car as it is for so long

Sorry for being a noob and if the above does not make sense.

ps thanks again.

Can't get much more stock than a Corolla 4 speed manual and it would bring the biggest single improvement in take off speed, economy and all round performance - more than a weber and extractors would on an auto with no other mods.

You'd probably do the whole conversion yourself for just over a few hundred, including a new clutch and a couple of trips to the wreckers. Spend a bit more and get the flywheel lightened for some lumpy idle steet cred. And put the weber and extractors on too.

A new 32/36 Weber conversion kit is $500 on fleabay and a good exhaust shop should set you up with extractors and 1 3/4" exhaust for around $600 all in.

Put a 7K in it when you've flogged your motor.

I can personally say i changed my Auto 4k to 5 speed manual only a few Months ago, I got the wrong k50 so I had to mod the tunnel. the ke70 k50 has the shifter 2 inches further back and slots straight into the auto hole.

I am sure that when i take off from the lights i am using more then 10L/100km but then when i am in 5th at 60km an hour on a smooth road the car hardly gets over a 1000 RPM. if you want people off your ass at the lights then get the manual and take of like you stole something hit 60kmh in second at i very screamy 3-4000RPM and then slide through the next 3 to sit at stuff all RPM in 5th, the car loves it. the auto changed too low and was so slow that it gives you stuff all get up and go. Its a different car in Manual.

I did mine for a total of $155 and a half a bottle of Candian Club. (the CC was for a mates barely used CLutch as the one i got in the $155 was a little worse for wear. Add $40 dollars to machine the fly wheel, i did this a month after the conversion as it slipped so machined it when changing the clutch.