Te27/ Ke25 Break Set Up

Hi i currently have a 3k in the car with this break set up.

IMG_20140716_181340_023_zpsvw7kmcka.jpg

I am planning to fit a 2tg engine in the car and was thinking what types of break shall i upgrade to. I have managed to find a te27 break booster but i came from a left hand drive car. My question is to install it is it just a matte of bolting up or do i need to modify the pedal box? Thanks

Members dont see this ad

TE27 brake master is mounted in a different position, more over toward the strut tower. You either need to source a TE27 pedal box or get inventive in modifying yours.

This is necessary also as otherwise the carbs will hit the master

If you're in Australia (?) and you're going to get your car mod-plated I'd say you're going to have to upgrade your brakes to something equivalent to a 1600cc model, as your engine is over 20% larger and 20% more powerful (and likely more than 20% heavier) than the engine it came with.

In Queensland - prior to NCOP rules - a 2TG was easily modplated in a Corolla if you upgraded to TA22 brakes at the same time. That will likely necessitate some vacuum assistance (i.e. a booster) as your brakes appear to be unassisted?

Oh I think you also need to run a dual circuit master cylinder for that engine upgrade to be mod-plated.

Or you might just get lucky and get a mobile roadworthy fella come out and write down the numbers and bob's your uncle until Mr. Plod has a look under the bonnet.

I can't comment on the 2tg with te27 booster issue but i'll add my 2c though.

ae86 brakes seem to be the popular choice for many who upgrade to 4age so they should match with a 2tg quite well.

the ae86 strut is an easy swap into the *e20 chassis.

My engineer is happy with my ke25 running Japanese-spec ae86 brakes which have the vented rotor, along with T series drum brakes. And I make 210hp out of a turbo 4age...

ae86 power steering arms are close to the length of ke20 steering arms to not mess with geometry and steering speed too much. they only require a tapered sleeve to make them fit the ball joint correctly. Techno Toy Tuning sell the sleeve as an adapter for ae86 suspension into a kp61 starlet.

I recommend a booster plus a master cylinder which is 13/16" or 7/8" if running ae86 brakes.

Hi guys thanks for the reply. I live in Malta and all the items you listed is n/a imma Malta to find so i have to find them thats why i wish to be sure. In Malta there arent that much laws as long the car stops its ok so i can leave it how it is. I just want to improve them for my own saftey and just to look more nicer but like i said all these parts have to be brought from abroad as here in Malta there arent such parts..

Ha! Generally speaking none of these parts are available here either! It's a matter of trawling the world in my experience.

The main problem with using bigger brakes is the steering arm. As above you need to access TE27 steering arms, usually from the USA (try 3TCgarage.com - expensive from Japan) or AE86 power steering arms (either OEM or bling technotoytuning items) with the taper insert.

You need these in order to bolt up struts that can carry the brakes. The bolt spacing of the KE25 arms is too close. Then you have issues with camber requiring coilover struts etc etc.

It is all surmountable, with time effort and cash! All this has been discussed on here so search around.

Luke if your local authority does not require you to upgrade brakes then maybe reconditioned standard brakes is an option. If they can stop an 850kg car from 100 km/h then they can stop an 870kg car from 100 km/h - maybe two or three times in succession before overheating so don't go circuit racing. Though looking at your master cylinder I would not drive that car until you had reconditioned all your brakes!

Otherwise if you can find a 2TG in Malta then I'm sure there must be other Toyotas you can look at for parts - Celica, Carina, Corona, later Corolla - all have adaptable parts that would improve over what you have. Nothing will bolt directly in and you will have to modify.