2015 Victorian Motorkhana Championship

Camry Crusader

Members dont see this ad

Controversy Corner.

Consider that I did finish 2nd in Class C and Novice in 2014. The 2014 Novice winner was 5th in Class A. carbonboy was the 2013 Novice winner and 7th in A.

Reading the other threads, carbonboy had some issues that had stopped him competing. It is then questionable whether he has the excess money to put into his car.

carbonboy has just stated that his aim is to get top 3 in A for 2015. Considering his situation, his form in 13 and the stiff competition in A. It's a reasonable goal, but a challenging one. It is not a guaranteed outcome. It is a respectable attitude and goal, and we wish him the best.

I'm not going to name the 2014 Novice winner. We never spoke throughout the year. I don't know how many motorkhana competitors read these threads. I may look like a flog, but I don't care. So let's compare attitudes of the Novice winners.

Consider. A averaged 15 entries and C just 6.

The 14 Novice winner bought a standard KC Laser. Didn't like the "performance" of it after a couple of rounds. So then got a TX3 model of those Lasers. Later in the year, I found out this bloke spent heaps on his car, rally tyres and other stuff (I spent nothing). Winning Novice and 5th in A, I'd say is a pretty good year. With that experience, it's reasonable to think he'd improve and challenge for a top 3 spot (like carbonboy), maybe even challenge for the overall win.

Consider. Apparently, I had a chance to win C, if the leader (Andrew) hadn't turned up. Had I actually won it. I'd have then gone and bought a car to compete in A.

So what does the Novice winner say in presentation night? He says he going to go in C next year! I just rolled my eyes when I heard. **** attitude. Pathetic! Not only does he spend more than most guys already, but he'll using a TX3 turbo! (I compete in a standard KH Laser. Don't know if I should admit that here?)

He's realised he's no chance of winning A. He's seen that I was 2nd to him in Novice, seen that I was second in C. So has raised the white flag on succeeding in A and gone "I COULD BECOME THE CLASS C CHAMPION!"

I'm unimpressed. An overrated "competitor". Trophy Hunter. I don't know how results will go next year. But regardless, I guarantee it'll be impossible for me to avoid some sledging before the end of the season, that it'd even make an Australian/Indian cricket player say I should ease up. Tbh, I'm surprised he hadn't gone and bought a Williams FW14B to compete in motorkhana.

So yeah. I'm letting you know in advance what we have to look forward itt in 2015.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

In hindsight, Top 3 might be a bit ambitious, I'll be quite happy with Top 5 provided I can compete in the majority of the rounds.

Ummm.....wow. I find it rather strange people take motorkhana that seriously. It's not surprising, I just don't get it. But I'm sure these people exist at every level of motorsport. Motorkhana to me is good, cheap, legitimate fun. I didn't swap engines to win trophies.

The gentleman who finished second in Class A did so in standard N13 Pulsar, it's not always about money.

Have a safe New Years & I'll catch you at Round 1.

Controversy Corner.

Consider that I did finish 2nd in Class C and Novice in 2014. The 2014 Novice winner was 5th in Class A. carbonboy was the 2013 Novice winner and 7th in A.

Reading the other threads, carbonboy had some issues that had stopped him competing. It is then questionable whether he has the excess money to put into his car.

carbonboy has just stated that his aim is to get top 3 in A for 2015. Considering his situation, his form in 13 and the stiff competition in A. It's a reasonable goal, but a challenging one. It is not a guaranteed outcome. It is a respectable attitude and goal, and we wish him the best.

I'm not going to name the 2014 Novice winner. We never spoke throughout the year. I don't know how many motorkhana competitors read these threads. I may look like a flog, but I don't care. So let's compare attitudes of the Novice winners.

Consider. A averaged 15 entries and C just 6.

The 14 Novice winner bought a standard KC Laser. Didn't like the "performance" of it after a couple of rounds. So then got a TX3 model of those Lasers. Later in the year, I found out this bloke spent heaps on his car, rally tyres and other stuff (I spent nothing). Winning Novice and 5th in A, I'd say is a pretty good year. With that experience, it's reasonable to think he'd improve and challenge for a top 3 spot (like carbonboy), maybe even challenge for the overall win.

Consider. Apparently, I had a chance to win C, if the leader (Andrew) hadn't turned up. Had I actually won it. I'd have then gone and bought a car to compete in A.

So what does the Novice winner say in presentation night? He says he going to go in C next year! I just rolled my eyes when I heard. **** attitude. Pathetic! Not only does he spend more than most guys already, but he'll using a TX3 turbo! (I compete in a standard KH Laser. Don't know if I should admit that here?)

He's realised he's no chance of winning A. He's seen that I was 2nd to him in Novice, seen that I was second in C. So has raised the white flag on succeeding in A and gone "I COULD BECOME THE CLASS C CHAMPION!"

I'm unimpressed. An overrated "competitor". Trophy Hunter. I don't know how results will go next year. But regardless, I guarantee it'll be impossible for me to avoid some sledging before the end of the season, that it'd even make an Australian/Indian cricket player say I should ease up. Tbh, I'm surprised he hadn't gone and bought a Williams FW14B to compete in motorkhana.

So yeah. I'm letting you know in advance what we have to look forward itt in 2015.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Unfortunately this happens. After I left the TCCAV, I joined a club based in a town around an hour from Melbourne. This club seemed full of people you described to the point of using four or five different cars during the year to get max scores for the club drivers championship.

The same group wouldn't allow a set running order in motorkhanas. They would wait until the very last minute before running the test to ensure they had a nice swept surface to run on. Motorkhana tests were modified so the likes of WRX's had more chances of winning, but I never got any allowances in the autocross events so my KE20 would be competitive outright....

none would run in the VMC......

Sort of got pissed off in the end and it helped me make the decision to pull the pin on competing.

Have to say the I can't remember seeing this attitude in the TCCV.

• Upvote 1

Think the early ones were 2wd.

You're right, some internet sleuthing later I've found that the 4WD was an option from the KE models onward & not exactly common.

One of the things I like about the VMC is that (round depending) we run a reverse-order after the lunch break. So if you ran first in your class, you then went last. You can run out of order if you've had a mechanical drama etc, but they get kinda annoyed when you do.

It's not what you've got, it's how you use it. Drive smarter, not necessarily faster.

You should still be able to beat him in your car. I once won outright a bitumen motorkhana on a huge skidpan in a Hyundai Excel, beating 50 other cars. And I did it by just over 8 seconds for the day. There were a lot of annoyed HSV's and WRX's.

Don't get annoyed. Don't worry what others are doing. Go and have fun. If you're not having fun, stop doing it.

But us mere mortals don't have your skills Rob.

off topic

Had a look through some of the old VMC results because I was bored. Found out that I placed 3rd in class C in 2005.......not bad since I retired from all motorsport in August that year.

A far as driving smarter is concerned, I've got not idea. Despite doing it a year. I am not going to pretend for a second that I'm even decent despite the results. In theory, I know that motorkhana is one of those disciplines that don't enable you to buy huge advantages in a car. In theory, I know I can become good, but it's not going to be done through experience. That's just how I roll. It was like that with cricket, it's like that with anything for me. I just need to find "the knack" of driving motorkhanas, if you get what I mean?

In a way, I can't have fun doing it. I like doing it, I like being able to compete in motorsport. But unless I knew I was really good and could achieve something, then it's not "fun". Then knowing this flog has joined C, it just diminishes the fun even further.

I'm only in C, because that is what the car was eligible for. I bought the Laser to compete in autocross. It was a cheap option to learn how to drive hard like in rallying (2l fwd cars are what they use in ARC), before I realised I couldn't afford a trailer and a tow bar for my Camry. I didn't want to risk driving to the meeting then damaging the car. But this bloke has now cherry picked C, so his presence will ruin it for me no matter what. As I kind of said before. Had I "won" a class due to being the only regular competitor, or 1 of 2 regulars. I'd have taken it for the first year. But then I'd have seen the pointlessness of it and moved to A. But this dud is doing the reverse.

It's been said before I think. Just compete against your self. Set yourself a challenge. Concentrate on a skill. Play with tyre pressures. Don't stress about others and the results will come.

When I went from novice I ended up in class C, which was a huge class of RWD cars back in the day. Like over a dozen Corollas, a few Datsuns etc and I was the flog, but a bit of car development and setting small challenges and I improved.

It's easy to say, but it's just not how I go about it. Otherwise I'd probably be interested in another hobby. But we'll see what happens as the year progresses.

On another note. Just for my own amusement, I had look at what cars were around if I did compete in A. Looking for something that is not normally seen in VMC and/or really cheap. Initially, would've looked for a Mirage But then had a look at a Ka, Sirion, Barina.. The best I could find were a Charade and Festiva for $1000<. With further thought, I'd have gone with a 90s Swift. But good luck finding one of them for $2500<

Edited by Camry Crusader