5K Hydaulic Cam Suggestions

megamannz123

So my car is now up and running...

ke30, rebuilt 5k, 1mm over, 9.8:1 comp, double valve springs, lightened flywheel, twin aisan carbs (soon to be replaced by 40mm Dellorto's), cam is 214deg @.050 (280deg adv) with .442' lift, 110deg lobe separation.

It's making good power to about 6500 and then drops away and will only rev to 7500 at a push. From my experience with 3 and 4k's 8000 rpm is pretty easily achievable from memory?

Does anyone have their 5k revving to 8000rpm? or is it only the little brothers 3 and 4 that like to rev that high? what cam would people suggest for a 5k? i'm sticking with hydro lifters as they are nice and smooth.

What are people running cam wise that they are actually driving and can comment on how they drive rather than just hearsay.

I am considering a cam from Auckland cams, as shown below...

Type: Very fast Road RPM:4000-7500

Intake duration @.010":290 degrees

Exhaust duration @.010":290 degrees

Intake duration @.050":239 degrees

Exhaust duration @.050":239 degrees

Intake cam lift: .296"

Exhaust cam lift: .296"

LCA: 107 degrees

Type: Very fast Road/Rally RPM:4000-8000

Intake duration @.010":312 degrees

Exhaust duration @.010":315 degrees

Intake duration @.050":244 degrees

Exhaust duration @.050":246 degrees

Intake cam lift: .304"

Exhaust cam lift: .306"

LCA: 106 degrees

Any thoughts/experience?

Cheers

post-13043-0-28469900-1419238369.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Youll find alot of cam grinders will want you to run adjustable rockers due to being able to set a greater gap to allow exhaust cooling, heard that it can cause dramas. Man hit up coln72. Hes a wealth of knowledge and ran a 5k to 8grand. Really youve built the wrong motor if you want to be hitting those revs all time anyways. I used phill duggan from Surecam. He built my 5k cam but went solid and its big. Get my 40mm twins back end of next month ill let u know how she goes

What do you use the car for ? as I'm sure you know the more the aggressive the cam the more low down power you will loose & if driven on the street it will be pretty doughy low in the rev range & to me makes for a piggy / tiring car to drive around the streets in ..

I have driven some big cam V8's on the street & they were pretty bad down low let alone something around a 1.5 litre capacity that hasn't much to start with ..

Obviously every one likes different things & for track use it a different matter ..

Edited by lexsmaz

Ok, each to their own as far as loosing low end power ..

Bit hard to tell from the pic you have up with the Bridal ribbon's on the car but it looks like its on club rego ?? & If it is on Club rego try driving like a hoon etc on the track & not on the street & in that way you won't help destroy the club rego benefits that the rest of us enjoy & don't want to lose by people getting caught driving like idiot's on the road with the club rego in plain view & track use will make you a better driver, as anyone can put their foot down in a straight line or in a bit of the twisty's, but try doing that at higher speed on the track & I will sort the men out from the boys ..

• Downvote 1

Man hit up coln72. Hes a wealth of knowledge and ran a 5k to 8grand

Nice to be remembered

Used to go to 7500 rpm and over (shift light was set at 7500 rpm) during motorkhanas. This was with a 5k running a 169 grind Wade cam, stock valve train, twin aisan carbs, exhaust and a few other things ;) Also ran an electric fan and fuel pump to reduce drag on the motor.

can't remember the exact specs as it was over 10 years ago that the cam was fitted, but a quick search gives around 280 degrees duration and .405" lift.

Probably not the best vid to show the revs but

Edited by coln72

I just finished reworked my 5k yesterday.

.050 over bore, stock crank and rods. Ported head, extractors, Weber dgv, solid lifter conversion lightened flywheel and tighe 154 cam with dizzy to suit.

It's spins to 6500rpm pretty quick but haven't pushed it further yet.

Nice to be remembered

Used to go to 7500 rpm and over (shift light was set at 7500 rpm) during motorkhanas. This was with a 5k running a 169 grind Wade cam, stock valve train, twin aisan carbs, exhaust and a few other things ;) Also ran an electric fan and fuel pump to reduce drag on the motor.

can't remember the exact specs as it was over 10 years ago that the cam was fitted, but a quick search gives around 280 degrees duration and .405" lift.

Probably not the best vid to show the revs but

I just finished reworked my 5k yesterday.

.050 over bore, stock crank and rods. Ported head, extractors, Weber dgv, solid lifter conversion lightened flywheel and tighe 154 cam with dizzy to suit.

It's spins to 6500rpm pretty quick but haven't pushed it further yet.

Thanks Colin,

Wade 169 appears to be similar duration to mine but less lift, .405 vs .442 Maybe .442 is too much for high revs? more duration less lift ?

so the 5K does like to rev, just maybe not quite as hard as the smaller K's all other things being equal. Electric Carter pump in the mail and electric fan on the bench to fit when I get a day off!

Do you recall what your timing was set at? was the dizzy points/electronic, recurved?

Gavin,

let us know how she goes once its all settled in. Your cam is similar duration/lift to Colins. I just finished rolling my arches as I was having some tyre rub, went for a "hoon" and its running great to about 6500 when it wants another gear. I'm real interested to hear how yours goes!

Thanks fullas

Dunno. Got to remember that most of my running was being done with the wheels spinning, so maybe the engine wasn't being loaded up and could spin quicker.

We set our timing about 12 btdc and used 2 x single carbs as the had bigger throats than the proper 3kb carbs. IMO a 5k should rev harder than a 4k as it has a better bore to stroke ratio.

Also, the exact specs of my cam are a guess. It was re ground to a Wade 169 grind but it might of been different.

Hey Bryn

Peechs turns to 7800 rpm.

Cam was done by Clive Cams in ferntree gully, who was the machinist for wade for 30 odd years,

Give him a call, he has done a few 5k cams for me and has always delivered the results I'm chasing

Nah Justin add 10 year to that. Haha

He's the man Bryn, seriously he is. Give him specs of your engine, car and what you want to do with the car and get him to choose a grind. You won't regret it!!