Stock Tyre Profile?

Dzhoel

Sometimes i feel like i ask too many questions, but they keep coming up in my head -_-

what were the stock tyre sizes on the 30's? going out to swap my rear mags for just stockies and was wandering if the 165/70/r14 175/70/r13 (just checked) used on the front were also used on the back

Edited by Dzhoel

Members dont see this ad

155/70?R13 was standard fitment on the KE30 and KE55 series.

When the KE30 was released, there were other imports such as the Gemini, Civic, Galant, etc which ran

On "Cross Ply" tires. They were diabolical in the best of conditions, in fact the Corolla was commended for its handling as it had Radial tires fitted.

Nearly all cars back in the 70's & 80's & even probably a fair bit of the 90's had the same width rim & tyre combination on the front & the back, really only some of the exotic back in those days were the only ones to have different tyres front to back even the good old GT falcon ran the same rim & tyre front & back ..

My old RX3 Mazda ( wish i still had it Now ) Came from the factory with 4.5 inch rims & from memory had either 155 or 165 tyres & it was no slouch of a car, it would top out at about 125MPH = 200KMH ( in standard form ) .. I could get 100 MPH = 160 KMH out of third gear .. I drove it many many years ago for a short time on the skinny tyres & boy was it dangerous in the wet, in nearly lost it badly up this winding hill, I was in 3rd gear at about 120kmh & it just broke into wheel spin !! probably more good luck than management but I managed to save it from hitting the guard rails .. It does make you wonder why the tyres were so skinny especially for something that was quite quick in its day, made for some fun driving in the dry though & just scary in the wet ..

Edited by lexsmaz

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a handy chart if you want to keep your speedo accurate...find a size closest to original diameter or at least know how far off it is. Put the original size and what you are changing to and it will calculate the difference and give you actual speeds. Kinda cool.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=155-80r13-175-80r13

Edited by CorollaNut68