Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How do electric fuel pumps work for a 3K?

Featured Replies

  • Author

I did manage to find a mechanical one, made a big difference. Thanks for all the help.

Then other things happened.

Now I need to find a 3K-4K camshaft and it's looking  like I WILL be paying postage from Australia if I can even find one. US seems to be completely out, even tried a place in Japan and all I hear is "discontinued".

The hole where the pin goes is broken out. ( i don't know how either, it was running beautifully, almost got to work and it died coming to a stop sign, barely clattered and then wouldn't start. Put it on 8 before TDC and the rotor was a quarter turn ahead, pulled the cover and found the broke cam pin. My car has demons. If I can get it running again I may take it to get it exorcised and blessed. Then I'll run 50/50 holy water in the radiator.

Who still sells cams?

 If all else fails I'm considering welding the gear on and hoping I die before it needs changed again.

  • Replies 32
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • CorollaNut68
    CorollaNut68

    I thought I got this one from RockAuto but I've looked back 4 years and can't find an order for it. I know welders, if I can't find a shop that does cams regularly. I'd have to get something for a new

Posted Images

I'd be surprised if new k blanks were still available. Surely it's a matter of a cam shop welding up and regrinding an old cam. Years back in the early 90's, Wade's (big cam grinder - now closed) got some 4age blanks in. And that was unusual then. There must be someone in the us can repair and grind your cam surely?

groan.................

  • Author

I thought I got this one from RockAuto but I've looked back 4 years and can't find an order for it. I know welders, if I can't find a shop that does cams regularly. I'd have to get something for a new pin and weld it in place and fill in the gap..it's really not much. Maybe I'll win that new welding machine from Finnegan's Garage on YouTube.

As many K motors there are still in the world it seems someone would have done an aftermarket or there would be stock versions stacked in somebody's warehouse.

Sigh....I just had to get hooked on an obscure little car that never became a collector's item. I could build any year VW beetle from scratch out of catalogs. We just did a total ground up resto on a 65 Mustang....3/4's of the original body is all that's left every other piece, nut, bolt, and washer is brand new...you can get ANY part brand new. 69 Chevelle? Yep. Whatever you want. Plus custom parts, upgrades, conversion kits.................arrrgggghhhhh.

But where's the fun in that?

I get the impression K motors are very rare in the USA?

Forgive my ignorance but what did all your old corollas come with 2t and 3t engines?

K motors are basically given away for free here, you'll trip over one if you aren't careful. 

I see you reference finnegans garage. I must admit watching roadkill/roadkill garage/finnegans garage i am quite jelous of the parts availability for the v8 muscle cars from the 60s and 70s. bloody v8s everwhere, and they all seem to bolt in to every other car, 2 wires to connect and you have 300hp. Is this how it is in real life? are v8s everywhere for these things? 

 

Edited by ke70dave

  • Author

Apparently they are now. they came in Corollas up to the late 70's  as late as '79 I think, but they also had the T motors from the early 70's up.

And yes, V8's are everywhere. Like I said we just did a 65 Mustang...ordered a crate 302 ci ready to bolt in and crank up with high rise intake and a few goodies inside...everything but the block is chrome...about 350 hp...$3500 after shipping.

Want to put a 700 hp LS engine in your El Camino? There's a kit for it, just sprinkle money on it. Need parts for your 1955 Ford flathead V8? No problem.

Want to keep your 50 year old Toyota running? Good freaking luck.

I blame Toyota for trying to coerce me into buying a new car by refusing me parts.

Is customs going to stop me if I make a trip down under, trip over a K motor, stick it in my backpack and try to leave with it? (I think I could stuff one in a duffle bag and call it my carry on luggage don't you?)

Years ago my mate got 2 used rotary housings through carry on luggage from NZ.......so maybe you'll be fine!

Surely postage costs from AUS to usa woudlnt be too bad? for small stuff like camshafts etc. 

I threw my k motor in the tip yrs ago, but someone will have an army of them in their garage they can send you stuff?

I brought an AE86 axle back in my backpack from the UK in the days before the internet (and todays heightened concerns).

The look on the face of the xray guy at Heathrow was priceless. 

 

But yes, surely someone has a cam they are willing to basically give you as the basis of a regrind.  They may even be willing to get it ground for you seeing as though you are a respected member of the forum! I don't have any K cams out of a motor, or I would happily help you out.

In the early nineties one of my apprentices brought all the internals and the heads from a small block back to Oz  in his hand luggage on his return from holidays. No one batted an eye lid.

Sucked that I never got my hands on the brand new, never been fired 3K that the local school had in their workshop..... :(

I would contact Henry at auckland cams in new zealand. He has over 200 grinds for k series in his computer, so might have some spares sitting around 

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.