The End of ICE Cars is Coming !

Banjo

With the head long rush world wide to introduce EV cars, with the talk of  . . . .

1.  Lower safety standards to get EVs up & established quicker.

2.  Talk of relaxed driving licences (because you won't need to drive it).

3.  Complete banning of ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) cars by as early as 2025-2030 in some countries.

4.  Phasing out of ICE cars over time, by many other countries.

. . . . .   I was feeling a bit despondent, that it is going to be up to us Rolla owners, to make sure that the last ICE car to ever drive this planet, will be a KE Corolla. (Big Responsibility)

So I was delighted to read the excellent editorial by Nicholas Vinen, in the Sept 2017 edition of Silicon Chip, who put it all in perspective.  As usual, it has not been thought through practically at all, & there is hope for us all.

59b750f93942f_SCEditorial.JPG.7d64280d1668e66f23fd6eab31bbcc0e.JPG

If you don't get Silicon Chip, you can read the editorial here on SC's website.

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/Issue/2017/September/Editorial+Viewpoint%3A+A+rapid+shift+to+electric+vehicles+could+be+disastrous?res=nonflash

Cheers Banjo

Long Live the KE

Edited by Banjo

Members dont see this ad

First of all, silicon chip still exists!?!?

Secondly,  

Nuclear fission being "unpopular" is not a good enough reason not to use it. 

When the car came out, everyone was riding horses, and im sure there was editorials on why cars will never work cause of XYZ. And for a while cars were more annoying to use than horses, you just had to feed a horse, suddenly you had to put petrol in a car and fix it. How many horses you see being used for transport in the western world now? 

New technologies come, at first they are ridiculous, the world adapts and then once we have all adapted the new tech we wonder how we ever did life without it. 

Electric cars i can see happening. Only a matter of time. Self driving cars though. Not convinced. Waay to many moral questions to answer even if we had the tech.

There is an interesting youtube video i watched where they talked about the morality of self driving cars. for instance, say a non-self driving car pulls out in front of a self driving car, and for whatever reason the self driven car has to make a choice between hitting the oncoming car, or turning the other way and driving off a cliff, How do you choose? It is not up to the programmers to make these moral decisions. and what government or governing body is going to make a ruling on that?

And some say, well just put a tracking unit in every car so every self driving car knows where every other driving car is. Who controls all that data? will it be used for bad? do you want "google" knowing your whereabouts wherever you drive? Targeted advertisements based on your travel route to work? Although, this probably already happens anyway. 

Hi Dave,

Agree totally !

How many horses you see being used for transport in the western world now? 

Your comment above reminded me of pictures still taken in eastern Europe.

59b76204856f4_HorsePullingCar.JPG.ddd2aa62eff013683aadda06e893361a.JPG

Maybe this is how all olde KEs will see there last days out, when we run out of power to drive our EVs, and go "full circle" again !

Maybe Irokin will just have to add another Forum Area on the Rollaclub website called  KE EV CONVERSIONS

Cheers Banjo

A nice article.

The whole renewable electricty industry only exists because of Govt subsidy and politics. That means the best and most efficient decisions will never be made, we will end up with politically expedient ones.

So yes, we will get forced into electric cars, yes there will be disasters with power supplies, but its all for your own good as you get forced to live in apartments and use public transport..  That has been on the UN's agenda for a decade!

I see no shortage of oil yet, and no reason to stop using the ICE, but...  politics and control...

As for self-drive cars, the cars we use have killed millions, right from when they first appeared, so a few accidents while we iron out self-drivers are quite acceptable.  They don't have to be perfect, they only have to be as good as current drivers.  That's not hard...!

When cars (horseless carriages) first appeared they were very, very dangerous !  There were even protests.

"It used to be that in Britain the speed limit was 2 miles per hour in the city and "horseless carriages" had to be preceded by a man walking with a red flag."

59b77c8e6a766_Manwalikinginfrontofcar.JPG.01e14974557cffcd18caa4c8f4f09c50.JPG

We'll get used to EVs, with their incredible acceleration, but we will miss that burble out the exhaust pipe.

There was an EV racing car at the Leyburn Sprints last month.

Motoring_2017-Leyburn-Sprints-preview_Phil-Pratt-electric-Hooper.jpg.d8de5447a8ad5959e7ffa452c1a12eb5.jpg

It was awesome to witness it's acceleration, but you couldn't hear it.  How many people are going to get run over by EVs because they didn't hear them coming ?

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo

4 hours ago, ke70dave said:

How many horses you see being used for transport in the western world now?

I had to laugh at you city boys.  This is Australia anywhere west of Roma its still about 50 50 horse/ice vehicle when to comes to agricultural transport and mustering stock.  No electric car has the mileage to get there through that country.  Welcome to AUS and the long distance driving hobby it entails.

Seriously though if cars kill 20000 people a year with people in control of them, then all the autonomous vehicles would need to do is to kill 19000 of them instead and its a win for humanity.  My concern is which 19000 will go, with the machines being controlled by the kind of evil bastards running google and the government, I can see some Stalinesque shit happening.  I certainly wont be putting myself in the hands of something as potentially fatal to dissenters.  I love some dissent.  I prefer anonymity to convenience.

3 hours ago, altezzaclub said:

A nice article.

The whole renewable electricty industry only exists because of Govt subsidy and politics. That means the best and most efficient decisions will never be made, we will end up with politically expedient ones.

So yes, we will get forced into electric cars, yes there will be disasters with power supplies, but its all for your own good as you get forced to live in apartments and use public transport..  That has been on the UN's agenda for a decade!

I see no shortage of oil yet, and no reason to stop using the ICE, but...  politics and control...

As for self-drive cars, the cars we use have killed millions, right from when they first appeared, so a few accidents while we iron out self-drivers are quite acceptable.  They don't have to be perfect, they only have to be as good as current drivers.  That's not hard...!

I think political expediency for renewable energy policy is a secondary priority, with priority one being to get the taxpayer to meet the cost of developing and instituting renewable energy for them to sell back to us. If the media can fall enough to the left, the taxpayers might even vote for it, but either way that's the goal.  With our fucked up privatised energy in QLD were all getting screwed, and we own more fucking coal than anyone.  We need more KW in the grid for all these EVs and it certainly isn't going to be from Solar power, or you'd forgo the grid and have solar cars.  What we really need is some more electrical infrastructure first.  Our power grid is simply a blank canvas for the Scum that run it to leech funds.  My father worked for the Capelec board for decades, hes seen it all.  Top down shenanigans for the benefit of themselves.

yep, you are right Matty, i had not considered the people outside the city. 

Perhaps we will go full circle as a country. Decentralization of big cities so that people don't have to travel very far to their jobs. 

Australia's fantastic internet should help with this decentralisation, oh wait. 

You guys are scaring me. No more ICE. What are we gonna do. I will tell you what we are gonna do  we will find the biggest electric motor and shoe horn it into our rollas and stuff the boot full of batteries. And we are gonna keep on rollering. 

Old rollas forever! !

Edited by Big G
  • Like 1

Power generators are dead ducks as soon as we get decent batteries. Suddenly solar power will make sense when you can use it through the night, and then we can all get off the grid.

I'm amazed in Orange, only 40,000 people, stacks of land, new houses for $400k, yet they're building gigantic 4 or 5 bedroom, multibathroom monstrosities on tiny sections with no garden or grass to speak of. Its a good thing new cars don't need work on them, there's nowhere to do it.

The one thing that puzzles me is why aren't smart phone covered in solar cells on the back. You put it on your desk or whatever and it charges all the time. Even my dad's gold watch was action wound, so as you moved it wound itself up. Put that in a phone instead..