November 18, 20178 yr comment_712254 Been out and about this morning with very little found. I am waiting to hear back from my local Peders suspension with what will work. I also have a good friend I completed my Mech Eng with who is an F1 handling engineer(can't name the team or driver though) chasing up euro options too. What i did find was the part numbers at peders are the same for ke20 through to ke55. Unfortunately they only have one insert in stock and aren't re-ordering until Jan next year ☹ I'm now desperate my as my car is on stands until I figure something out. On the up side of it all, it will give me a chance to take final measurements so I can spin up some nolathane wishbone bushes. Edited November 18, 20178 yr by kickn5k Spelling Report
November 18, 20178 yr comment_712255 I had a look at a Tokico listing I have. Unfortunately it doesn’t include any measurements as I had hoped to isolate some options. And interestingly has no listing at all for an RX7. There are some rabbit bilsteins in Ringwood on eBay, but looking at the pics, I’m not sure how they locate in a macpherson strut. I think the rabbit inserts sound most likely to have upgrade options that are also available, at least after a quick look on eBay, as long as they can be installed in the strut and aren’t too far out in the other measures. Edited November 18, 20178 yr by parrot Report
November 18, 20178 yr comment_712256 These ones https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/bilstein-strut-insert-vw/332450561866?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 One of the links I posted earlier does comment that some brands seem to have a slightly narrower fitment, whilst as Jono says, other don't fit There are also some KYB excel G's https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VW-Cabriolet-Jetta-Rabbit-Front-Suspension-Strut-Cartridge-KYB-Excel-G-361005/351444081785?hash=item51d3b31c79:g:NOYAAOSwjVVVln~N But yes, they would be a punt to buy unmeasured. And we don't even know anything about these regarding length or stroke. Report
November 18, 20178 yr comment_712257 See bilsteins fitted in a Datsun 1200 strut here http://datsun1200.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=24043 Report
November 22, 20178 yr Author comment_712325 I've been sitting on this for a while still. I spoke to a mate who's been playing around with corollas for years and he said why don't I just put complete ke20/25 struts in...do you guys know much about this? Pretty sure I read somewhere that its because of more positive camber... Report
November 22, 20178 yr Author comment_712326 Kickn5k I just realised that it was your post I read lol. Can you tell me why you ditched this set up? And must you run 20 ball joints when you swap the strut... Report
November 23, 20178 yr comment_712328 I know Harvie went with KE2x struts when he built his (work done by .T.) 4AGZE KE15. I gather it wasn’t simple but not aware of the specifics. Stu, I have some NOS KE1x lower arm bushes if that helps your measurements, if that is what you are making. Happy to send you one. Report
November 23, 20178 yr comment_712331 Out of curiosity... if you didn't want to lower it and just wanted to replace the originals with something that bolts straight in. And not having high performance in mind, just gentle cruising. What would you use? Edited November 23, 20178 yr by thefallen1 Report
November 25, 20178 yr comment_712363 On 16/11/2017 at 6:28 PM, parrot said: Measurement of a NOS Tokico strut cartridge S1002 Standard fitment Body length. 430mm Base body to top piston on maximum compression 495mm Base body to top piston on maximum extension. 685mm Piston stroke 190mm Body diameter 38mm I asked the ebay guy for the same measurements for the rabbit bilsteins. body length 320, compressed 430Extended 545 diameter 38. Stroke 115 Report
November 26, 20178 yr comment_712365 On 23/11/2017 at 10:20 AM, rolln69 said: Kickn5k I just realised that it was your post I read lol. Can you tell me why you ditched this set up? And must you run 20 ball joints when you swap the strut... Why I'm ditching them is for a number of reasons. 1. I have my camber plates maxed out and it still has a half of a degree of positive camber. 2. It will also give you a heap of negative caster, while making it epic on turn in, makes it really darty and unnerving at 80km or above, if the roads not perfect. 3. The ke20 ball joint must be used, biggest problem with that is, they are slightly loose in the wishbone. Mine has two small tack welds to hold it in place. My car sufferers from severe bump steer and tram tracking, while the semi slick rubber on the front probably contributes to the tracking slightly i'm thinking getting back to standard geomety will give me a better base to work from. Report
November 26, 20178 yr comment_712366 12 hours ago, parrot said: I asked the ebay guy for the same measurements for the rabbit bilsteins. body length 320, compressed 430Extended 545 diameter 38. Stroke 115 Look pretty close. Spoke to Stuart the other day about what they'd used in Tommy's car and he put 4kg coilover kit and used Munroe #25-3810 gt gas which appears to be ke-20 to ke-55 listed numbers. Said it handled great with nice ride comfort. Report
November 26, 20178 yr Author comment_712373 So Tommy ran that Monroe shock in his ke10? It's got 413mm compressed length and 606mm extend length. Worth a shot you think? Report
November 27, 20178 yr comment_712380 13 hours ago, rolln69 said: So Tommy ran that Monroe shock in his ke10? It's got 413mm compressed length and 606mm extend length. Worth a shot you think? I've just pulled the trigger on a pair. Will let you know how they fit when they arrive. Report
November 27, 20178 yr Author comment_712383 Can't wait to hear the verdict. I hope they're not coming from California and we're here waiting 3 months lol. Like you said, they're just a ke20 listed part. Can't believe it's not all over the forum already Report
November 27, 20178 yr comment_712384 Nah mate Vic northern suburbs to Vic se suburbs. Should have them Thursday. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now