Rust

styler

Rust, the favourite find of the auto enthusiast :P

just doing the chassis of my ke25 and i have found some here

and there much to my amusement lol...

anyway any diy/mechanical person probably has come across

their fair share of it and I'm interested to know how people get rid of it.

depending how severe it is, seems rust can be

sanded, chemical converted, blasted, ground down to bare metal, needle scalled,

chemically removed, electro bath removal, cut out and rewelded.

if it can't be cut out and rewelded such as a component or area that would be difficult

to replace, and isnt very severe, then what does everyone recommend out of the other

methods?

Members dont see this ad

well you have your major cancerous rust where you can poke your finger through the panel that is affected, Its a good idea to have the area in question cut out and a patch welded into its place.

If it is only a surface rust on the panel, you can sand the rust off the top, apply some rust converter, let that sit and do its job, wipe it clean it with prepwash then undercoat the panel ready to be painted..

If you want the dodgy fix, you can fibreglass the area then bog over the top..

depends how rough you want the finish to be..

when ever i find body rust i mainly just take it all back to bear metal all around the holes, get rid of any loose bits, then file back a lot of the rust and sh#t around the edges, paint with rust kill, then get a peice of sheet metal or steel, prop it up behind the holes as best as i can and then bog up the holes, it works well for me and i havent had any problems with rust in theses spots since, but it usally only happens because stupid people never get the mud and crap out of any grooves in the wheel arches, i have never welded a peice of metal in or done anything like that, and the end result once we spray it looks like it is the standard panel,

cheers james

• 2 weeks later...

I used to bog my way through rust repair :D

Now, Id rather do the cutout back to bare metal and replace it with sheet metal and weld the panel in place, grind off the excess and high fill the area.. primer over it then go sick on the paint.

That's what I've been shown anyway... haven't come across any bad feedbck afterwards (shrugs)

Hey if you guys need a run thru on rust repair i will do 1 up when i get my rear guard done (pics and steps), My brother is a qualified spray painter/panel beater so i wont lead u astray.

What would ur brother charge if he were to strip a whole car back, reapair the rust and repaint the entire car in a new colour??

What would ur brother charge if he were to strip a whole car back, reapair the rust and repaint the entire car in a new colour??

All depends mate, how long do u wanna be without the car, how bad is it, and he is doing another cashy at the moment. When he did his car last he did all the prep and undercoat and then hired a spray booth.

Almost all my rust is minor. I think in two places i have small bubbles and also abit in my gutters.

I guess i'd be without my car for as long as it takes. My work is only a Km down the road, i don't really need to drive but i choose to. And if i need to use a car, my fokes don't go anywhere normally so i could use theirs.

How long does it usually take?? Like just an average??

Jon.

hi,

I've got an uncle doing the same thing with his HJ ute at the moment.

From what i've heard is that you could do the prep work yourselves and patch and fix any holes with one of the methods listed above.

Once you've finished you'll need a paintbooth (pray to god u know someone who does) and simply undercoat.... rest for awhile and paint with the colour of your choice.

I've done it a few times with my racecars.......never big stuff though.

I'd love to attempt to be able to do atleast some of it myself, but there are somethings i wouldn't know how to do.

I started sanding small rust spots on my roof but had to stop once my sister moved back home and stored her junk in the garage, leaving me no where to paint it.

Jon.

I'd love to attempt to be able to do atleast some of it myself, but there are somethings i wouldn't know how to do.

I started sanding small rust spots on my roof but had to stop once my sister moved back home and stored her junk in the garage, leaving me no where to paint it.

Jon.

blast or clean the "lace", then spray cold galvanizing compound over it....it will never rust again

you'll have to use an etching primer to make paint/filler stick over the zinc

Hope you're not using aluminium rivets

Guess I won't talk about my experiences then...

then spray cold galvanizing compound over it....it will never rust again

HAHAHA sweet that is bloody genius...

you'll need a paintbooth

We've done cars at our place plenty of times without a spray booth, just out in the open air (make sure your not under a tree ffs) It works OK for us...