Troubleshooting The Dead Camry

demuire

I have an SV21 Camry. It doesn't work. I don't know why. RACQ doesn't know why either. It's sitting in the middle of Brisbane city, and I probably can't keep it there forever, but RACQ will only tow it 10km... I drove it to work this morning (no issues), and now it won't go anywhere anymore :monkey:

Anyway.

Battery OK

Starter motor OK

Fuel pump OK

Fuses OK

Spark plugs OK

Cold start injector OK

Injectors getting power, but NO PULSE.

What is wrong? Dead computer? That's the only part the RACQ dude can think of.

:)

Members dont see this ad

Thanks for the replies...

Crank signal? No idea, how do I check this? The cold start injector works when initially cranking, I would assume it is getting some sort of signal? I also get spark. Just no injector pulses.

Raven: Yes, RACQ man's best guess was ECU. Will try to get one from the wreckers tomorrow.

thomo: Yes it does, not entirely sure what it is immobilising, but unless the module is malfunctioning and immobilising only 1 circuit (starter works - and I know for a fact that that is one of the circuits it immobilises) then I'd be guessing it should be working? Unlikely for immobiliser to just be cutting out the injectors?

well, how does your ecu get signal of where the engine is? is it by crank angle sensor, or some sensor in the dizzy.

if this has packed itself in, the ecu wouldnt know when to make the injectors pulse.

your cold start injector is triggered by water temp sensor and...is it the cranking signal?

I'm not sure how to check if your CAS or whatever you have is playing up, other than swapping for a known good one.

if ecu is cheap, try that, if it still don't work id be thinking crank signal gone kaput.

Will check ECU code today. Check engine light hasn't come on, so doubt there would be a code, but who knows...

love_ke70: I have no idea actually. It doesn't look like there is a crank angle sensor, so I'm guessing it comes from the dizzy...

ECU code 51: Input Circuit error. Have not yet checked TPS, don't know which wire is for AC on the ECU, so next thing on the list in the Gregory's book is to replace the ECU.

Resistance on dizzy pins checked out OK. Not sure if this means anything...

Going to get another ECU today, I wonder how much they cost?

Replaced ECU (wow, $50), no difference. Still reads error code 51. Checked TPS, it's fine.

I have no idea anymore. Carton of beer to anyone who can come and make it go again.

Will probably give a couple of tow companies a call later today and see how much it would cost to tow it back to Ipswich. I don't expect it to be cheap :faq: