Final Top Speed

Hey,

I was surfing the internet when i stumbled upon this little page. It will give you your definate top speed of your car. It's a little too-bad its in imperial but its a page worth posting none the less.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/rpmmph.html

Type in your diff ratio, gearbox ratio and tire diameter (in inches) and you'll be set up with your cars top speed.

(e.g if my diff ratio was 4.11 and using a K40 gearbox in 4th with a tire diameter of 30.49 inches my final speed would be 284.793 km/h :) )

Anyway just a little knowledge.

Members dont see this ad
Hey,

I was surfing the internet when i stumbled upon this little page. It will give you your definate top speed of your car. It's a little too-bad its in imperial but its a page worth posting none the less.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/rpmmph.html

Type in your diff ratio, gearbox ratio and tire diameter (in inches) and you'll be set up with your cars top speed.

(e.g if my diff ratio was 4.11 and using a K40 gearbox in 4th with a tire diameter of 30.49 inches my final speed would be 284.793 km/h :) )

Anyway just a little knowledge.

I found a very easy way to test my top speed whilst not breaking any laws. It works for most small and medium non-performance cars riding on stock wheels. Simply divide your redline/cutout RPM in half, then go to that engine speed in top gear. Look at your speedo. Multiply said speedo reading by 2 and voila, you'll have your top speed.

I did this in the AE102, and it works perfectly. Redline is 6250, and in 5th gear at 3125 (well, 3100 effectively) I was doing bang on 100km/h. Therefore, my top speed is 200km/h, and effectively tested without speeding or breaking any laws, and without putting the engine or drivetrain under great stress.

Although there also was the time where I actually took it to 200km/h (speedo ran out at 200 anyway), and it was bang on redline, so I know it works. This is highly illegal, and I don't approve of it unless you're on a track.

I made up a 'tacho' in microsoft excel for this purpose. My tacho didn't arrive ( :lolcry: ) so I improvised. so I know in what gear at what revs what speed I'll be doing. So my speedo is my tacho. For example: I know redline in first is 45k, in second is 75, third is 115, and well... I don't know 4th of my head cause I'm normally not going that quick buuut... itsss 165! and when I get my 5 spd it'll be 194!

yay

:)

Well, you can always divide it by 3 or 4, but I'm quite surprised that the Silvia or KE are geared for 300km/h......

235/45R17, 4.3 diff (or 4.1), 0.759 5th gear ratio, 7500rpm limiter. Theres no way you could push it through the air that fast though.

when i want to see how fast the cars engine will spin the wheels and give you a dodgy top speed i jack it up and put jack stands under it and then drive it right through the gears until it wont go anyfaster and is redlining, works but i don't think it would be very accurate????

my mate did the same but went on grass and spun the wheels through all the gears until it got to its top speed, so it was like a 170k burnout..

both these ways are very dangerous and i wouldnt advise doing them as the car may slip as the wheels are going very fast....

cheers

I guess these top speeds are only managable with an EXTREMLY LONG STRAIGHT road with some of the Hp level the poor old rollas have....

more like in a vacuum. :)

5th gear is usually geared for max economy on the cruise. not to be wound out. you'll probably find a lot of cars out there aren't any faster in 5th, than what they can achieve in 4th.

Edited by Felix