Ke70 Project Advice

Rollin-Rolla

hey guys ive only written very few messages on here havent had the most amount of time to really chat. my name is Peter i live in Adelaide, and I'm 20.

sorry if some of these have been posted before but from my searches i could not find specific details on these particular problems I'm currently having so all help from people that know ke70's really well would be greatful.

my project is a 1983 ke70. Blacktop s13 sr20det sitting inside it at the moment all mounted up, not wired up yet. unfortunately ke70's didnt come with hydraulic clutch and i was wondering if there are any that bolt up into the ke70 to make it a hydraulic clutch?

I also need to do a larger brake conversion and was wondering of any that bolt up. from research i have found that RA60 struts bolt in and the brakes are much larger and vented. but with the ke70 lower control arm you end up with a positive camber. now apparently by using a Sigma lower control arm it changes produces a -4 degree camber which should be pretty good. just wanted to know if anyone has performed this conversion before and can confirm it fits well? otherwise what have people done before that works?

My main concern at the moment is installing the hydraulic clutch. so if anyone has any bolting up ideas please post them here for me. help is greatly appreciated. thanks.

Cheers Pete

Edited by Rollin-Rolla

Members dont see this ad

i'm putting a hydraulic clutch into my ke20. I'm getting a 4-5mm thick metal plate welded into the firewall in front of the clutch pedal to stop the firewall flexing and then making a couple of holes in it to mount the master cylinder.

Only problem you might have is matching up the gearbox slave cylinder size with the AE71 master cylinder. My advice would to talk to a clutch and brake place to see if they are able to resleeve or modify one or the other so they match. Otherwise you could have problems with an excessivly long or short stroke on the slave.

Just steal the hydraulic clutch setup out of a AE71 corolla, pretty simple..

Also the following pic is of a KE70 that had sigma LCAs on it..

those lower control arms produce a fairly negative camber. looks pretty tuff. i assume its with standard struts tho? with RA60 struts the negative camber shouldnt be as much as that.

yeh i heard that the AE71 had hydraulic clutches in them. i think that may be a go ahead. i need to check about the master cylinder and resleeving it. cheers for the advice so far guys. appreciated

Edited by Rollin-Rolla

Current status:

it appears that anyone who believes RA60 struts bolt into ke70's would be incorrect. i just came from U-Pull-it and ran the test myself to make sure they fit before purchasing, and surprisingly they didnt :) . the problem was the top platform which the spring is surpressed by. because the platform needs to be so wide to hold the spring it hits the inside of the strut tower and wont allow the studs to come through. so I'm back to square one again. does anyone know of any struts that have larger brakes and bolt into the ke70? anyone that has done a larger brake conversion on their ke70, please post what conversion you did perform. any help on this topic would be appreciated

To get your car riding right with a corona / celica / supra front strut conversion your going to need to shorten the tubes about 40mm and use AE92 shock inserts. Then you can then either have the original KE70 lower spring mounts welded to the strut tube or buy some weld on coil over sleeves and springs to suit. The MA60 brake bracket won't let you bolt up a hilux 4 pot (which your gonna want with a sr20det in there) just use cheap old corona struts and tap the mounting hole out to suit. Peugeot 604 discs are what people have been using on the corona hub, though they need some maching to fit inside the calipar and the mounting face shaved to let the disc center in the calipar correctly. Try some searching of the old toymods forum if you need more help, theres piles of information there.

Rolla club brake faq

I got an S14 SR20DE in my KE70

if u havent already, use a clutch master of a sprinter, thats what i used, works fine, reasonably firm (my mum can work it) and not to much pedal play.

for the brakes: step 1

use corona XT130 corona struts, hubs and steering arms, 89-96 hilux 4WD 4 spot calipers, peugeot 604 rotors. File the holes on the rotor out slightly (like 2mm) to suit the corona hubs, mount the calipers using about a 1-1.5mm spacer on the mounting bolts, file out the caliper slightly 2 clear the rotor and they bolt 2 a rolla ball joint and tie rod end.

Step 2

2 options here, option 1:

get a spring made up 2 suit the corona spring mount on the strut and a rolla top hat or

Option 2:

use an AE92, AE82 or SV21 camry strut insert and a 40mm (ish, you'll have 2 work it out exactly) spacer, cut the strut leg down 40mm (again 40ish) and put the 40mm spacer inside the strut leg, weld thread back on the strutleg for the shock retaining nut. Get a weld on coilover kit from noltec or koni and weld it onto the strutleg, get an aftermarket coilover spring (i used 350lbs) and put it all back together.

Should look something like this :)

post-1650-1154257213_thumb.jpg

and with the brake master cylinder, i used a MA61 Supra one, it is possible 2 split a KE70 booster and redrill the holes to take a toyota four stud master, its a bitch (especially to get back together) but ultimately its worth it coz u can use several different masters till your happy with the result (hilux, landcruiser, cressida, celica, etc) alternitively u can use a starion master and not mod the original booster.

The modding of the booster is a bitch of a job but, so if want u i can do a booster for u for $100 if u send me a booster 2 mod :jamie:

and just use the rolla ones and some adjustable strut tops, with the corona struts u don't end up with massive pos camber and if u wanna use the car on the street and not have wheels haging waaaaaaay out, stisk 2 the rolla ones.

i got a few pics of what mine looks like under sr powered rolla on www.rollaclub.com in rides and projects if u wanna c what it looks like with standard LCA's, corona struts and adjustable strut tops

Edited by Fat Bastard Customs

cheers for that Beerhead, your post was actually really helpful. my plan now is to go with the corona struts and use the 4 pot hilux calipers. should be the cheapest option aswell as fairly effective. i just found it funny because ive read on other forums including toymods where people were saying RA60 struts do bolt in. clearly they don't without modification.

Fat Bastards Customs, that is one awesome post you put up, its answered all my questions for the moment. i may require your service for the brake booster mod aswell. hope my conversion turns out just as good as yours.

Edited by Rollin-Rolla