Definition Of "old School"

Felix

hey guys, just wondering on what you guys think the term "old school" means??

it is a way overused abused term i think. then again i'm in my early 30's so probably a bit older than most of you guys, and have a totally different take on the matter.

for me it is a 60's/70's car that is modified in keeping with it's era. ie, no efi, 17's or monster tachos, or big chrome mufflers. that stuff is retro.

it needs, cams, carbs, steel rims, or mags from the same era the car was produced.

Members dont see this ad

I don't really know what the definition of it should be (or even what I really think it is), but in most cases I seem to think of "old school" as older looking cars (like, pre-80's) such as Mustangs and TA22 Celicas and old Corollas, I think generally cars with round lights :) that are "sporty". Sort of the "old school muscle car" look.

The word "Retro" seems to bring to mind things more like Cadillacs and Bel Air's and other sort of Old American Luxury Car sort of looks, although that's probably incorrect in definition?

And yes, I do believe than an old car should look like an old car, as in to keep in it's era, if it wants to stay in the "old school" camp. I don't think "old school" cars with new bits are wrong or ugly necessarily (although some really are), but they become a whole different car with all the bits added on.

For instance Rollie (or the car that was once Rollie anyway) was cool, even with the 17" rims and Evo-style bonnet scoop etc. It wasn't really "old school", and it wasn't really "modern", it was sort of a mix between the two...

to me, old school would be anything from an era passed. things that contemporary people don't like, so i like them to be different. for me, this starts in the 70s and goes back, probably until the 20s when you start getting into "vintage" territory

i consider a 75 corolla, a 57 chev, or a 36 dodge hotrod to all be "old school". the whole 80s pretty much fits into "boxy plastic school" and 90s onwards is mostly crappy boring efi bubble cars

beyond autos - old school is what you see during wintersun, that whole happy days, slicked back elvis hair lifestyle. it's 30s chicago gangsters with tommy guns in suits and pointy shoes. it's the 60s and 70s forrest gump style social revolution. to a certain extent, it's even boofy spiked 80s hair and shoulder pads

i should have been born 50 years ago :)

i should have been born 50 years ago :)

I totally agree. Society is so f@$ked up today.

I consider my corolla old school. And i guess it is really. Everyone at work disses it because its allways "broken" when in reality I'm doing some kind of whacked upgrade or a part thats 30 years old has packed it in...which is to be expected...

I love the whole 50s and 60s era...would have been a great time to live in IMO...

if we are talking jap cars i would say old skool is anything that came out with chrome bumpers, and if its modified then it would have to have mods of that era (ie big carbs, big cam etc)

big rims are a definite no no as are big round mufflers

signs that your car is old skool :

- optional tacho dash

- optional carpet

- optional fake wood trim

- chrome grille

- chrome bumper- leaf sprung rear end

- optional twin carbs

and so on. true 'old skool' for me probably stops just before 75 (ish)