Turbo_rolla's Ke70

turbo_rolla

Busy weekend doing more work on the beast.

Back seat is back in now (had it out from the rust repairs), and all vaccumed and looking nice and tidy again. All of the shit that was in the boot has been taken out and that's looking nice and roomy. But that's just cosmetic stuff.....

Got around to my mates yesterday (where we did the engine conversion) and had the cat convertor put in - the exhaust note is sooooooo much nicer now - not raspy, and you can't hear me coming from 3 blocks away, which is good for Regency :D Can hear the engine roaring when you push it now too, so that's a good enough sound to listen to!

After a bit of weeding in the garden this morning, i decided i may as well give the castor brackets a shot - came out easier than i was expecting, but getting it all back in wasnt as easy :( had to grind about 2-3mm off each side of the eyelet end of the swaybar to get it through the stock sized hole on the bracket (didnt have big enough drills to just grind that out a little), then took about 30mins to work out what way it all had to go etc. Finally got all the bits through and then mounted it all back in place - couldnt quite get one bolt on the bracket back in so will leave that for another day as it was getting quite dark (spotlight had to come out!), then there was quite a bit of grunting and pushing to get the swaybar and castor rod mounts back on the lower arms.

post-1017-1215945401_thumb.jpg

Old "modified"/hacked ones

post-1017-1215945428_thumb.jpg

New nice non sharp edge ones

post-1017-1215945451_thumb.jpg

But its all back together now, ready to be taken on a test tomorrow to make sure it doesnt fall apart. So a couple more things ticked off my list..... :(

Have also still been hunting around for some new wheels to get rid of any potential issues from the officers of the law/regency/insurance. Got my eye on a set of meshies. Only thing is they're only 14x6, and was ideally going for 14x6.5, but may go ahead with it anyway and can run a spacer if i wanna get them pushed out a bit more.

post-3647-1215173978_thumb.jpg

post-1017-1215945673_thumb.jpg

Thoughts?

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How much are they asking for that set curiously? Because I've found a set close to me for sale and was wondering what they are worth. Are they Cheviots?
Was originally $250 but now $200 pickup from memory, so fairly cheap. Yeah, from what i know they're chevoits :(

nice work on the KE man. Just read through the whole thread.

I have just picked up a REAL tidy KE for very cheap. After I finish putting a new gearbox in my FC the 4AC will be ditched for probably a 12A or 4AGE still deciding. Just finished a 12A conversion on a friends KE so yea wouldnt mind having a couple to cruise together.

If ya wanna see some pics of my KE check out my bebo page. www.bebo.com/harvey2470. You don't have to be signed up or anything to check out the pictures.

Good luck with the car man hope to see it out on some cruise or something. Is there any cruises in SA?

nice work on the KE man. Just read through the whole thread.

I have just picked up a REAL tidy KE for very cheap. After I finish putting a new gearbox in my FC the 4AC will be ditched for probably a 12A or 4AGE still deciding. Just finished a 12A conversion on a friends KE so yea wouldnt mind having a couple to cruise together.

If ya wanna see some pics of my KE check out my bebo page. www.bebo.com/harvey2470. You don't have to be signed up or anything to check out the pictures.

Good luck with the car man hope to see it out on some cruise or something. Is there any cruises in SA?

Thanks mate! If you've already done a 12A conversion on a mates car then i guess it wouldnt be that hard to do another one as you already know what you're doing! Guess it just comes down to personal preference over the 4age or 12A - would be fairly similar result maybe? Had a look at yours - looks real tidy - very nice starting base! Once mine is all finished and legal i'll start bringing it out, so might catchya on a cruise - not sure if there's any organised ones in SA at the moment, but could get one started if there's enough interest at some stage in the future!

Chuck up a members ride thread on here too so we can watch your conversion come along too! :(

Latest part acquired - thanks Gilly :(

IMG_2459.jpg

Should keep the pod in place nicely.

Also took it out for a quick run tonight to see if everything was bolted back in nicely, and no clunks or rattles, so that was good. Also seems a bit tighter in the front too. Slooooooooowly getting there now! :(

Gave regency a call to query the situation on wheels today - basically they don't care how wide the rims are, as long as the "track" is within their liking. For a ke70, that is as follows:

Front - 1346mm max

Rear - 1361mm max

So went out to measure up mine this arvo and got 1425mm on the front, and 1405mm on the rear :) Pretty sure its been measured up properly (ie from about the centre of the wheel to the centre of the other wheel), so I'm about 44mm out on the rear (ie 22m each side), and a whopping 79mm out on the fronts (39mm each side). So think i'll have to go with getting some new rims with an offset that pulls them in a bit so there's no issues there. Just don't wanna pay a fortune for new rims - lots of pairs, but they're all going for about $350 each, which seems pricey for 6.5" rims......dunno :hmm:

This whole wheel thing has been doing my head in, so I called shannons back and asked straight out what the situation would be should I have wider rims than the specified track and had to make a claim for an accident. They said that so long as the "illegal" modification hasn’t caused the accident (ie wheel snaps, extra "load" snaps a strut or something :( ), that they wouldn’t reject the claim. So that's good enough for me for now atleast - may still look for some 14x6.5's, but no urgency to do it now!

Also, got a shiny new present in the post today (thanks Gilly!!!!)

Old setup - pod was literally just sitting on the rubber "hose", and you could pull it off with no effort at all - did the job though :)

post-1017-1216281378_thumb.jpg

New shiny one - have managed to squeeze it in between the carbon canister and radiator, and will have to stay there til i go through regency - then the canister will come out and the pod can sit in its rightful place :hmm:

post-1017-1216281457_thumb.jpg

Might wanna heat shield that champ or you'll just be sucking in hot air which isnt good :yes:
Yeah, was thinking that - not really gonna be driving it like that for long/at all, so wont bother with anything for now as it'll be going over where the carbon canister is onces its been through regency - plus the airflow where it is there at the moment isnt great either - might actually put the "old" setup on it until its gone through regency, then the new one after its done and can go in the right spot :dance:

Just make sure the old one is secured or you'll get knocked back.

Better still, retrofit an airbox when you go through to keep them happy that the airbox will arrest any sparks. :yes:

I'll slap the new one on when i go through as their main concern is the pod not being able to move, which it can't with that setup - wont hurt it to drive it down there sitting where i put it :dance:

• 2 weeks later...

Very average pic of the job my mate did for the cat converter to go in:

post-1017-1217325664_thumb.jpg

On the "legal" side of things, looks like i just need to get the speedo recalibrated, put stock rear springs back in, swap with my mates wheels and MAYBE weld up a plate in the engine bay where the old clutch setup used to be before the conversion :S

You've been quite the help to me tonight adam :S might have to look at that as an option

This is all we did - just a metal plate glued on - maybe i can get away with it if i spray it the same colour as the engine bay, as i've got some paint laying around? :D

post-1017-1217329754_thumb.jpg