Overheating Ke70

emu

Hi all .I've got a very low mileage(29,000kms) automatic, that's scarcely been used over the past 10 years.

Took it out for it's 1st decent run through the hills today, and after 30 mins it started to sprew coolant out of the overflow, with the temp guage climbing to approx 80%.

We steadied down and drove home slowly after cooling down, but I feel the whole system needs a cleanout with an obvious partial blockage somewhere

I'll remove the radiator ,and get that professionally done, but what's the best way to backflush the block and head to ensure everythings ok there?

Thanks

Members dont see this ad
turn on the heater...

Thanks guys,I've bought a thermostat, and will flush through the radiator both ways if i can with the motor running, and (Jason) with the heater turned on ???

And I've done some photos, but haven't worked out yet how to fit a LHS rear view mirror which was missing when i bought it, so I'll tru to get that on b4 i post some photos,......you'll like it i think, ..it's a gem, just like new.

Thanks , emu

• 3 weeks later...

Mate, I am not sure I would flush it with the engine running. Might cause damage and burn yrself. Turn the heater on and let it run for a mo to ensure you run water into the heater as well, and it will get flushed as well. And make sure the engine is NOT hot when you flush it out, as hot metal has a habit of cracking when hit by cold water........ I found out the hard way.

When you finish, let it run for 10 or 15 minutes with the radiator cap off to make sure you get any air bubbles out of the system.

Paul

gday, was the coolant rusty at all?

as everyone has said, replace the thermostat.

the way i reverse flush, is to turn the heater on full. sheild the distributer from flying water. undo one of the heater hoses and grab a pressurised garden hose (ie town water, not tank water with no pump) and shove it up the guts of the heater hose. start engine and turn on hose, watch out water will piss out of the pipe you undid the hose from. flush until waters clear. then put hose in the pipe side and repeat process.

take the radiator cap off and repeat the process again. that garrantee's a well flushed system.

btw don't run the engine more than 4-5 mins doing this just in case. ive done HEAPS of flushes this way and never had a problem.

never run a motor when flushing, its pointless, a water pump is more of an agitator than a pump, your guarden hose is 3 times as powerfull

all your doing is blowing out scale from inside the block

you reverse flush the radiator and heater core because that scale is sitting over or on top of the core fins, if its in the core you need to run a radiator flush through first, then water (instructions on the pack) or pull the tanks off and run wire through the cores, no you can't do this at home!

hell of a week, stuff the spell check, live with it

If the car is overheating it will more likely be on of these problems:

1. Coolant leak somewhere, even a pinhole leak. CHeck with a pressure tester on the radiator and let it sit. The leak could be through the head gasket (dibble of water out the exhaust), or a external leak.

2. Radiator cap is not holding pressure. Test or get a new one.

3. Thermostate is either missing or rusted OPEN.

4. Or half the fins are missing on the radiator, and its a really really bad radiator.

But most often it will be a water leak. The leak may not show itself untell it gets pressure.

• 2 years later...

i bought a overrated ke35, handed the cash over, and the guy says as I'm ready for my 1hr 1/2 drive home, OH by the way its been running a bit hot on hills but its had a flush it should be alright.

drove it home in the middle of summer with the heater trying to bypass some heat i was f@$kin spewing.

Used full bottle of Mukowit(good shit) for the flush, did the radiator cap, thermosat, got another water pump cause mine looked a little dodgy, flushed again, good coolant.

Heated up again...

Did a compression test to make sure i wasnt leaking into water jackets or anything, all seemd good. Got a quote on a radiator flush.$80 put it in,ready that arvo, got the reciept and it was 80% blocked. Car hasnt had an issue since runs real cool. The car had done 39000kms probably driving to church and back, but if u keep gettin problems with heating, get the radiator done and you should be good.