Hilux Diff

flat out

Members dont see this ad

Was talking to a mate about this last week. The later model diffs are stronger. External bracing from the pumpkin to the tubes and the shafts are a couple of mill thicker. Don't remember what was said about mix and matching parts. But i can't see problems of popping into a 4wd shop and ordering parts (ARB airlocker :P ), just have the diff model code in hand in case.

If you want to a little more researching try

Outer Limits 4x4

and

Toyota Surf Australia

and for diff codes

Jonnys Old Corolla Page

Well i have been researching this for my ke30 recently.

Hilux diffs 70's model around 1370mm wide and to fit into a ke30 you need to move the leafs out a little and it bolts up.

Later model diffs i heard are stonger but also longer. 1410mm for 80's model

You can also go r31 diffs, they have discs on rear standard, easy to get lsd's but needs shortening and custom axels. However it does have 4 stud same as rolla.

You can also go r31 diffs, they have discs on rear standard, easy to get lsd's but needs shortening and custom axels. However it does have 4 stud same as rolla.

The r31 has the same centre as a commodore or falcon (post ea/vn), only the skyline diff only has 25 spline, it also only has a two pin centre. The skyline diff does however have 4:11s which are very handy. Both the commodore and falcon diffs have a four pin centre, and all of the commo diffs have 28 spline, however only the falcon v8 diff have 28 spline, the rest are 25. To shorten a falcon diff to suit a ke30 you need one axel respline, and both sides of the housing shortened. the restud is about $160.

From what i have read and experiences from others, skyline is 28spline however the pintara skyline is 25 spline. smile.gif

:P ah, this is true, yes the pinatara is also the 4:11s, the skyline has 3.9, i stand corrected.

Edited by oh what a nissan feeling!

What sort of power do you have champ?

A 6.7in tseries can put up with more punishment than people think, but you can still break them with a turbos et up....

7.1 inch E series tarago diff, 200engine kw would strugle to break it. Quite strong, no lsd's readily available.

7.5in hilux diffs are great. Almost overkill unless yuv'e got massive power. You won't beak any of them. ALso plenty of LSD's available and ratios from 3.7 right through 5.3 are available :)

If you intend to do burnouts with your worked 4K, I would get the strongest diff you can possibly find, if you want something to put in and forget about...nothing is overkill. At least if you spend the cash once, and get the best combination you can, you wont be stressing that it will break all the time.

A corolla diff will easily handle the power a worked 4K can dish out, if you don't do burnouts and be nice to the diff. I don't treat diffs well, and as such have broken over 20 corolla diffs doing burnouts, but with the SC 5K and 4K's if I didn't do burnouts nothing broke.

The r31 has the same centre as a commodore or falcon (post ea/vn), only the skyline diff only has 25 spline, it also only has a two pin centre. The skyline diff does however have 4:11s which are very handy. Both the commodore and falcon diffs have a four pin centre, and all of the commo diffs have 28 spline, however only the falcon v8 diff have 28 spline, the rest are 25. To shorten a falcon diff to suit a ke30 you need one axel respline, and both sides of the housing shortened. the restud is about $160.

EA Falcon 25 spline centres were two pinion. EB-ED Fairmont's were 28-spline 2 pinion and XR6 had a 3.43:1 ratio 4 pinion centre whereas the EB XR8 had a 3.27:1 4 pinion centre.

Just thought I'd clarify that as I have owned a fair few falcons in my time.

By the way, you'll never break a falcon LSD with a K motor at all, just the cone's will wear out before anything lets go.