May 13, 200719 yr comment_176992 1/4 inch is smaller, includes a smaller ratchet too so easier to get into the smaller spots. 1/2 is stronger, wont kill the ratchet by undoing big bolts with it either. Report
May 13, 200719 yr comment_176996 yep, as raven said, 1/4" is light duty stuff, 1/2 heavy duty. 3/8" is in between them both. 1/2 inch stuff can get really heavy on the arm if your undoing a long bolt underneath the car. thats when 3/8" stuff is good. but i wouldnt recommend undoing super tight stuff with 3/8 ratchet. lost much skin on my knuckles with that trick :yes: that kit your looking at looks great. do you have any mechanic friends that would be able to getyou that at trade price? the margin places selling tools make is stupid! Report
May 13, 200719 yr comment_176997 http://www.kctools.com.au/images/2005_Cata...des/page18.html the 43 piece af and metric is the one i have, think it retails just over $200, i got mine from a mate who went broke for $50 Report
May 14, 200719 yr Author comment_177004 Heya, I DO have a friend in Victoria who is a mechanic, he may be able to get it for me...I'll have to send him an email and ask. I was reading in a Tool Catalogue about the "TFYT Vouchers" (Tools For Your Trade) its a rebate from the government. If you're a first year apprentice, you get an $800 voucher to spend at a registered tool dealer so a toolkit that would normally cost, say. $1000 you get for $200! Isn't that a great idea! FLATOUT that's a nice kit :yes: Thanks for your help everyone, it's appreciated :) Lesley Report
May 14, 200719 yr comment_177067 i'd go sidchrome no question ... and id get a socket set with both 1/4 and 1/2 drives that goes from mm to say 32mm with the af set included to the same sizes then get yourself spanners in the same sizes that way yor set for life and you put them under LOCK AND KEY to keep em safe ... butthats just what i think Report
May 14, 200719 yr comment_177071 Hi Lesley, That one i the link isn't bad, although I'd probably like to see a 21,22, and even a 23mm socket in there, too. What about this one: http://www.kincrome.com.au/web/catalogue/s...rtnumber=13357P It's purely metric. Do you have need for imperial sockets? If you do, then the one in your original link would be the one to get. Cheers Rob Report
May 14, 200719 yr Author comment_177164 ROB: I kind of stayed away from that one in your link because I don't really know why I'd need deep sockets... what would I need deep sockets for? I wasn't sure if I needed metric or imperial so thought it best to get a combination one. Lesley :yes: Report
May 14, 200719 yr comment_177179 yeah that rebate is great.. shame they implemented it 7 years too late :yes: thank god for trade prices, thats all i can say! Report
May 14, 200719 yr comment_177180 oh soulsearcher, if you can get your desired kit with single hex sockets i HIGHLY reccomend doing so. they are SOOOOOOOOOO handy for not stripping subborn bolts. Report
May 14, 200719 yr comment_177183 Long sockets are good for.... errrrrrr..... well, lots of things that I can't put a finger on right now. However, I have a set, and they come in quite handy for.... errrrrr....... stuff. :) That's cool. Go the combo, however, can I make the suggestion that you get a 21, 22 and 23mm sockets in 1/2", and I'll guarantee that's about all you'll ever need. Can I also suggest at some stage the purchase of one of these puppies: http://www.kincrome.com.au/web/catalogue/s...tnumber=ZDA315C They're great for getting leverage on bolts that are done up "king" tight, and would also help a person (how can I put this diplomatically) like yourself who is of a "slight" build. :yes: I have one in my work box, and I can't live without it. Hope this helps. :) PS: I'm in Adelaide for the next Three weeks, and would cheerfully go tool shopping with you! R Edited May 14, 200719 yr by Redwarf Report
May 14, 200719 yr comment_177192 I find the super works gold brand to be unusually good, well except for their multigrips. Me and my friend are using the socket sets, me a 1/4inch drive and he has a 3/8. I also have been using their 1/2 inch drive sockets for quite a while with my rattle gun even though I am not meant to, and also their other hand tools. It costs $24 I think for a row of 1/2 drive sockets from 10 to 19 I think. Report
May 14, 200719 yr Author comment_177204 single hex sockets? is that what the long sockets are called? However, now we're moving away from my original ideal (everything in one place - in one kit - in it's own spot). Rob: Thank you for your diplomatic explanation :yes: I have trouble with unscrewing hose clamps (LOL) so, what's the difference between using the one in your link, and using the bendy socket one an extention thats the kit? ..... (not so bendy?) Lesley :) Report
May 15, 200719 yr comment_177227 Length. (said the vicar to the duchess. :yes:) A decent length breaker bar will allow you to put more force on a stubborn bolt than a ratchet will. The one I linked to is 15" long, which should allow you to undo virtually anything on your car. A rachet is about 8" long, breaker bar twice as long: lots more force at the pivot= Lesley doesn't rupture herself undoing tight bolts. Hexs: If you look into a socket, most have twelve points inside to grip onto a bolt. 12point socket= multi hex. A six point socket has, you guess it, six sides, the same as a bolt, and grips firmer to the bolt. Pros and cons to each, I prefer multi hex for no valid reason. Long sockets are, as you presumed, just that. R Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now