Does Your Rolla Under Steer

does your car handle.  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hiya, boyz and girlz. I was driving home from work and guned it to make a green turning arrow, and I felt the usuale two wheels coming off the ground for a bit coupled with under steer that my car has.

now my car is lowered, apart from that it is a standary ke70.

At speed my car will get up on two wheels often "if it is not under steering"

in the wet it will do both.

so to my question. how do your rollas compair? is the normal?

Members dont see this ad

pretty normal, standard corollas are pretty ghey on the suspension front... all u need are good shocks and springs... coilovers are pretty overrated... the only advantage it gets u is ride height... the shock and spring method gives you abit more suspension travel and you'll never deal with understeer troubles again...

Even with a standard rolla, oversteer is just a grab of the handbrake away ;)

Geting up on two wheels!!!!!!!! I've driven rollas pretty hard on the road and in competition and I've NEVER had one or seen one on two wheels. Are you just getting heaps of body roll?????

Actually I lie - with cut down V8 holden springs i ran at one stage, bumps would lift both front wheels off the ground :bash:

Edited by coln72

my ke70 would always lift the rear tyre (with body roll) with standard springs, but with king progesive lowered both front and rear lift. I get about 2" of body roll after that two wheels. I was told by some friends that follewed me home that "I got about 6" off the ground"

the first car I saw on two wheels was a gemi going hard in my hood

Edited by chrisandliz

Since i don't own a running rolla at the moment i will go from my ae82 seca.

It had super lows in the rear and lows in the front and it handled pretty well in the dry for a fwd, In the wet it under steered a lot. I had the inside rear wheel off the ground on really hard corners, The outside rear wheel on hard corners would touch the inner guard and smoke but like i said only on really hard corners.

I know its not a rolla but my Corona handles very well considering its weight. It has standard height heavy duty King springs all round, That tends to over steer more than anything but meh.

Des ;)

my ke70 would always lift the rear tyre (with body roll) with standard springs, but with king progesive lowered both front and rear lift. I get about 2" of body roll after that two wheels. I was told by some friends that follewed me home that "I got about 6" off the ground"

the first car I saw on two wheels was a gemi going hard in my hood

Me thinks you might be trying too hard ;)

My 35 used to spin up the inside rear on tight roundabouts but it was only unweighted, not off the ground and only because the rear suspension was too stiff to run without an LSD.

post-460-1181870842_thumb.jpg

This is roughly how much roll I get from my 20 on basically standard suspension, and I am going pretty hard at this point.

i would like to see videos.

not saying i don't believe you...well yeah i am.

ive taken a tight 90* turn at 80 before with good 205's on the front and it rolled alongggg way, but hell now would it lift the wheels.

id replace your shocks and see how it goes.

and try get some vids.

and yeah, what tyres you running? they do understeer a bit stock

something wacky going on there ...

I can't see how you can have little enough grip at the front to be understeering, yet enough grip to lift the inside wheels.

I'm further confused by your statement that it does both in the wet.

You need to riddle me these questions five please:

Q1: how has the car been lowered (what springs, what shock absorbers) ?

Q2: what happens (how does it feel, what does it do) when your car understeers ?

Q3: when does it understeer ?

Q4: what happens (how does it feel, what does it do) when your car lifts two wheels ?

Q5: when does it lift two wheels?

both (KE25, AE71) my corollas have been lowered and stiffened - ie. shorter and stiffer springs or extra leaf depending on the car.

both have new monroe gas shocks on the front.

the 25 has adjustable shocks set to "pretty firm" on the back.

the AE71 has new monroe gas on the back.

The KE25 has urethane bushes pretty much everywhere, the AE71 is stock in the bush department.

The only time I've had any wheels of the ground is in the 25 at speed over a very steep (and tall) level crossing hump.

both will unload the inside rear on roundabouts (and other hard, tight turns) to the point where it will spin on bitumen (open diff on both).

Neither is particularly full of understeer, but both will understeer in the wet, on dirt, with the boot in.

Both will happily switch to throttle-off oversteer if I back off.

more info please ...

Slapper

PS. I reckon if you're lifting even one wheel in the scenarios you're describing .. there's something seriously wrong with your suspension.

Edited by slapper

Your not running out of suspension travel are you!!!!! If somethings bottoming out maybe I can see an issue.

I concur with slapper: My 35 had lowered springs, Monero GT gas strut inserts, twin antiroll bars and no way would it lift an inside wheel at the front. As I said it would unload the inside rear in tight corners (looked impressive smoking the rear out of the hairpins up Authors Seat ;) ).

Tic pic before was taken at about 60km/h maybe. It is about to break into oversteer.

something wacky going on there ...

I can't see how you can have little enough grip at the front to be understeering, yet enough grip to lift the inside wheels.

I'm further confused by your statement that it does both in the wet.

You need to riddle me these questions five please:

Q1: how has the car been lowered (what springs, what shock absorbers) ?

Q2: what happens (how does it feel, what does it do) when your car understeers ?

Q3: when does it understeer ?

Q4: what happens (how does it feel, what does it do) when your car lifts two wheels ?

Q5: when does it lift two wheels?

both (KE25, AE71) my corollas have been lowered and stiffened - ie. shorter and stiffer springs or extra leaf depending on the car.

both have new monroe gas shocks on the front.

the 25 has adjustable shocks set to "pretty firm" on the back.

the AE71 has new monroe gas on the back.

The KE25 has urethane bushes pretty much everywhere, the AE71 is stock in the bush department.

The only time I've had any wheels of the ground is in the 25 at speed over a very steep (and tall) level crossing hump.

both will unload the inside rear on roundabouts (and other hard, tight turns) to the point where it will spin on bitumen (open diff on both).

Neither is particularly full of understeer, but both will understeer in the wet, on dirt, with the boot in.

Both will happily switch to throttle-off oversteer if I back off.

more info please ...

Slapper

PS. I reckon if you're lifting even one wheel in the scenarios you're describing .. there's something seriously wrong with your suspension.

I have bridgestone 165/65 r13. "if you ring toyota this is the tyre they will recomend you use"

when i feel the under steer I turn the wheel more and then it will just start to "lift"

Q1 I have king springs progesive lowered and monroe gt front and rear.

Q2 it feels like my front wheel drive car under steering

Q3 see picture as rough guide, "as i put the boot in"

Q4 ummm the wheel will pull against me (you know if you let the wheel go it want to straghten, it wants to go the other way)

Q5 see picture also

as for the wet it will under steer into the corner and over steer out

hope this is enough info

p.s. i don't mind being called a lier, if you are speaking from the heart ;)

post-1514-1181895289_thumb.jpg