What Grinds My Gears.

Members dont see this ad

Freaking tight bolts. :P Changing the dogbones on my E32, one of the bolts was off the scale on my torque wrench (reads to 150 foot/pounds) and still wasn't budging.

Luckily I remembered I had a 4 foot long piece of pipe floating around. Slipped it over a breaker bar and it undid, but was still tight. Whew!

Also jacking up my E32, what a pain in the ass. The car is so low that there was only like 2 inches between the jack handle (fully down) and the fuel tank. Prick of a thing to jack up the rear of the car.

Freaking tight bolts. :P Changing the dogbones on my E32, one of the bolts was off the scale on my torque wrench (reads to 150 foot/pounds) and still wasn't budging.

Luckily I remembered I had a 4 foot long piece of pipe floating around. Slipped it over a breaker bar and it undid, but was still tight. Whew!

Also jacking up my E32, what a pain in the ass. The car is so low that there was only like 2 inches between the jack handle (fully down) and the fuel tank. Prick of a thing to jack up the rear of the car.

Sill-jacks weren't a option I guess then?

Sill-jacks weren't a option I guess then?

That's where the car stands go. I wouldn't feel comfortable under the car unless it is supported by at least pair of decent carstands and a jack.

Need to get one of those big mofo low profile jacks.

That's where the car stands go. I wouldn't feel comfortable under the car unless it is supported by at least pair of decent carstands and a jack.

I'm on the lookout for a workshop jack myself....i'll let you know if i find any at a decent price. :P

I was implying that you jack the rear of the car up a few inches on both sides with the sill jacks, then get the trolley jack centred and take the load.

Don't BMWs have seperate jacking and stand points though? They have those funky discs on the side of the sills themselves, and then the pads on the underside of the body?

I was implying that you jack the rear of the car up a few inches on both sides with the sill jacks, then get the trolley jack centred and take the load.

Don't BMWs have seperate jacking and stand points though? They have those funky discs on the side of the sills themselves, and then the pads on the underside of the body?

LOL, yea I figured you meant that after I made my post. I'll try jacking under the sills a bit next time. I guess the factory jack on one side and my small trolley jack on the other would get it up that first bit to allow me to swing the handle of my larger trolley jack. The car has massive rear overhang.

Mine doesn't have the discs on the sills like you see on the later cars. Didn't notice the pads under the car, will have to have a look.

Edited by Felix

Yeh getting my 911 off the ground enough to work on is difficult too. It's got the sill jack points though but I need the little insert that goes into it.

Worst thing is that the old 911's have two oil lines running just inside the sill and dickheads jack it there and crush the 600 buck oil lines!!

Worst thing is that the old 911's have two oil lines running just inside the sill and dickheads jack it there and crush the 600 buck oil lines!!

Ouch! That would suck.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. WGMG's is the cost of some parts locally. The power steering pump shat the front seal. Rang around for a second hand unit... Looking at $200 (or more) if you can find one, mine is a harder to find early one with hydraulic brake boost. Too scared to ring up BMW. Ended up getting a rebuild kit from the states for $45 AUD delivered to my door. :P

• 2 weeks later...