What Grinds My Gears.

Members dont see this ad

WGMG - people who always finish sentences in the typed form with either a question mark or an exclamation mark. FFS, are you always excited?

eg - "I just went to the toilet! We were out of toilet paper, so I had to go look for some! Did Dave get some more went he went shopping? I hope he did! After I flushed, I went outside! And checked the mail! A car drove past!"

Also WGMG - trucks running red lights. Or more specifically, trucks that are so long that when the cab hits the line the light is still orange, but because it's a freaking B-double or whatever the lights are green for a solid 5 seconds before traffic in the cross direction can actually move.

This happens almost every day to me on the drive to work, at the T-intersection at the end of the Hexham Bridge. There are always heaps of trucks turning right from the bridge to go up the highway to the F3, and invariably a truck is the last vehicle to cross the line. The lights go green for us, but there's still the big-arse truck blocking all 3 lanes as it slowly swings around the corner. Even when there is room to go, the truck will take up close to 2 lanes for a good 100m down the road as it eventually manages to fully straighten up, meanwhile cars are going every which-way around it to try and get past before the 3-2 lane merge up ahead.

Also WGMG - trucks running red lights. Or more specifically, trucks that are so long that when the cab hits the line the light is still orange, but because it's a freaking B-double or whatever the lights are green for a solid 5 seconds before traffic in the cross direction can actually move.

This happens almost every day to me on the drive to work, at the T-intersection at the end of the Hexham Bridge. There are always heaps of trucks turning right from the bridge to go up the highway to the F3, and invariably a truck is the last vehicle to cross the line. The lights go green for us, but there's still the big-arse truck blocking all 3 lanes as it slowly swings around the corner. Even when there is room to go, the truck will take up close to 2 lanes for a good 100m down the road as it eventually manages to fully straighten up, meanwhile cars are going every which-way around it to try and get past before the 3-2 lane merge up ahead.

Agree totally. But come to Darwin where they have road trains with 4 trailers. Road Trains turning right out of Berrimah Road and onto Stuart Highway. Your light goes green and your still looking at the 2nd trailer go past. By the time trailer 4 goes past your now sitting at a red light. Guess what ?, look to the left there's another 2 road trains waiting.

OK I get it, places like Darwin need road trains but, like every other capital in this country they need to have a limit on how far into the greater area they can come.

don't bitch until you know what deadlines /strains they are put under, i know because I'm one of the bastards that sever it :(

Prime movers > pedestrians >Heavy gear > trucks > cars > dirt > cyclists

Edited by Jason

I do wonder how many of those who have a little sook about heavy vehicles have ever actually driven one...

Because its actually quite difficult to manoeuvre such things through suburban and city traffic.

Yes, it takes a wee bit longer to get up to speed. And yes, sometimes the rear of the vehicle will drag through a red light. This is generally because the light has gone amber and the truck is already committed to going through. Its not like you can just hit the anchors and pull it up in a couple of car lengths.

And lets be quite honest here, if you're complaining about having to wait a few extra seconds.... Well, you can quiety go f*ck yourself :(

I do wonder how many of those who have a little sook about heavy vehicles have ever actually driven one...

Because its actually quite difficult to manoeuvre such things through suburban and city traffic.

Yes, it takes a wee bit longer to get up to speed. And yes, sometimes the rear of the vehicle will drag through a red light. This is generally because the light has gone amber and the truck is already committed to going through. Its not like you can just hit the anchors and pull it up in a couple of car lengths.

And lets be quite honest here, if you're complaining about having to wait a few extra seconds.... Well, you can quiety go f*ck yourself :(

I fully understand the pressures on heavy-vehicle drivers though, this isn't as if they are hammering into the intersection at 80km/h and can't stop in time, this is during fairly heavy (~8am) traffic at which you'd be lucky to hit 30 going over the bridge, and most of the time it is just shuffling forwards. If a truck can't react to an amber light from 30km/h and pull up in time, I shudder to think of the consequences of how close they like to follow each other. Another issue that can compound it is a second set of lights immediately after the turn which (if they go red) will mean that the B-doubles (they tend to block in pairs, or mixed in with other traffic) will block traffic in both directions (5 lanes in total, used to be 6 until they took one out and replaced it with a cycle-lane).

And the issue isn't so much the extra couple of seconds, it's the volume of traffic in 3 lanes (we're talking about the intersection of the New England and Pacific Highways here, arguably the two heaviest-trafficked roads in NSW north of Sydney) that tend to throw logic out the window and scatter every which-way to get around the slowly accelerating truck before the upcoming lane-merge - I've lost count the number of times I've been in the far left lane and had to hammer it up the inside beside at least 4 articulated trucks in the middle lane (there are two turning lanes off the bridge but the trucks always end up in the middle regardless of which one they come from) because there is no way in hell I'd be able to merge in behind them with the volume of traffic behind me.

On the flip-side to the "it only holds you up for a few seconds" claim, it only adds about 2 minutes to total travel time for the truck for it to stop at the lights (and trust me, the ones that run the red can stop in time) - 90% of them would be heading south towards the F3 and Sydney so this intersection is the last set of traffic lights before Pennant Hills Road 150km away (they'll have one exit and a roundabout between the bridge and the freeway) - you're much more likely to get hit by slow traffic for longer on the F3 than you are waiting at one set of traffic lights for the next set.

wgmg - 2 face f@$king wankers! one second your giving me shit about my car then you act friendly when theres no one around?

then you call me a weirdo when i tell you to f@$k off?

edit - also when you can't tell when someone is joking around with you? especially foreman, i have no idea if his being serious or f@$king with my mind, but seeing as there a high rank than you should they show professionalism in there job and not act like a fonzie from happy days

Edited by Evan G

edit - also when you can't tell when someone is joking around with you? especially foreman, i have no idea if his being serious or f@$king with my mind, but seeing as there a high rank than you should they show professionalism in there job and not act like a fonzie from happy days

+1 got one of these guys at work.

Different mood every minute.

Dunno how to take half of the stuff he says for rear of taking it the wrong way and having him go off his tree.

So glad you asked. Here's something similar to my Sydney runabout.

post-5661-1278954988_thumb.jpg

And my ride until 6 months ago

post-5661-1278955063.jpg

Although I don't drive large vehicles anymore I do still drive for a living. Waiting at lights for 3 to 4 changes just to get going isn't waiting a few seconds.

I reiterate what I said, Road Trains do not belong in the greater area of ANY city, urban or suburban .

• 2 weeks later...