What Grinds My Gears.

It's the obsession with likes, thumbs, Upvotes, +1 etc that gets me. Like self worth is measured in digital approval By internet keyboard warriors and how many digital 'friends' you have.

I'd rather have a good discussion with someone about my car in person than worry about how many view the thread has.

I ask most Ke70 owners if they want their cars in the ke70 section and a lot decline because it won't get as many views there.

Le sigh #yoloswag

Members dont see this ad

Sorry dude but I take exception to this. Your just playing devils advocate, it seems your glossing over the truly abhorrent parts. You must be down with the liberals.

This is why we have fines awarded by courts to offenders, this is why we have reparation orders, compensation schemes, and court costs. Trust me, end up on the wrong side of a court and you will be paying through the nose for the lawyer before you even get there. Innocent people get stitched up all the time, its a fact of life. Should they have to exhaust their savings or go into a massive debt to beat a corrupt case? Its just taking advantage of ignorant politically conservative peoples lack of empathy and selfish world view by marginalising anyone who enters a court as "a criminal who deserves to pay".

By your logic, LJ, people who use the courts to get acquitted of all charges should still have to pay for the benefit of using the courts to clear their name, when they were innocent! It makes zero sense, courts should dish out justice to those who deserve it, not sell it to those who can afford it. I feel like you are just being argumentative. Perhaps I touched a nerve knocking the conservatives, I dunno.

This was a tax brought about by the Campbell Newman government. Its that clear cut.

Justice should be free. Its elitist to expect people to pay for the use of the courts. If it isn't free then justice becomes a rich mans privilege and a poor mans dream. This widens the gap between rich and poor. Its a classic case of Bureaucrats on fat salaries making legislation that's not properly modelled, and them not having the vision or empathy to see how it could negatively effect the innocent people out there.

How about considering that innocent people are being dragged into the courts by the Police. People like me. People who need not use the facilities of the court if they weren't dragged there, kicking and screaming, by corrupt Police.

I had to use the system to my advantage thanks to the actions of a Police officer, not myself.

I really don't understand how you can not understand that.

So you take exception to one sentence that on its own has a completely different context.....

This bit here-

They see that a percentage of their costs come from judges, security, admin staff etc etc processing cases where the defendant has pleaded guilty to charges (which if it was all charges, would be people aiming to get a lesser penalty or some leniency in their sentencing, like not losing their licence, one point program, drivers ed etc)

And they decide that those people using the courts to their advantage should have to pay. So you get the follow on to people who arent there doing that (like yourself)

If I do the wrong thing (speeding, dangerous driving etc) and get caught, cop gives me a fine for what I've done, turns out it means I'm going to lose my licence, so I go to court, knowingly guilty, but hoping for a reduced sentence... even though Ive done the wrong thing, knowing the penalties and knowing how they could affect me.... (which is an entirely different subject, realistically, if you are guilty, you cop the sentence, other circumstances like getting to work etc shouldnt count, do the crime, suffer the penalty. if you are too stupid to realise the impact on your life, thats your own fault)

THOSE PEOPLE should have to pay for wasting the courts time.

Pull your head out of your bum and reread what you are replying to, there is NOWHERE in there that I imply people should be charged money if they are innocent.

I do however say that people who go to court to please GUILTY (and this is in relation to driving offences) for the sole purpose of getting leniency or some sort of altered penalty to the one they got handed, should definitely be charged a fee. Why should they expect to be treated differently to anyone else that gets done for the same offence (if they are GUILTY)

No where did I say that you should have been charged the fee.... far out, high horsie be gone.

and FYI, I'm not a party lines voter, I'm someone who actually looks at the state of the party and their policies and goes from there..... Blaming the premier for something that is infact a more grass roots inception is pure political BS and infantile.

LJ, never in my life have I ever heard of someone electing for a court hearing to try and get a lesser penalty on traffic charges. That's something that statistically never happens. People end up in court all the time, but for offences that require a court date, such as DD, Massive speeding 40klm/hr plus, Dangerous driving causing GBH. Its certainly not for low range speeding or minor offences. The people who elect to have those heard are people like me, who want to confront some poor Police work head on.

Something else your not getting. If you think you've been given a dodgy ticket by a Police officer for whatever reason, and you want to see the evidence. You have to elect for a court hearing. If you elect for a court hearing, see the evidence, then decide to plead guilty and just take the ticket, you don't just get the court costs, you get to pay the extra $100. It makes it almost prohibitively expensive to beat small charges. You just get forced to accept it in most cases, which creates great latitude for the Police to be writing a lot of tickets that are borderline at best, because they know people are less likely to object.

The point I'm making is, if they had thought it through, they might have realised that they were also going to be penalising people who didn't need to be in court in the first place, or worse still, people who are victims of undeniable Police corruption. My feeling is that this was the intention of the fee.

Also, blaming departmental heads within the govt is pretty speculative. I believe they would have needed to pass a law to be able to collect this tax so I can't see how it didn't come from the top, it didn't exist under the Labor Government (whom I disliked just as much).

Also your comments about people knowingly guilty going to court to try and get a lesser penalty was what I quoted and responded to. Again, this comment shows a lack of understanding of what actually happens in court. If someone can go to court and convince a rather wily magistrate that even though they were speeding, they had a reason to be at that moment, then yes they were guilty of it, but they still didnt deserve a ticket. Your comments suggest the world is only black and white, with one group in black the criminals, and the group in white the Good guys. You seem to think that good and bad, guilty and innocent are mutually exclusive ideas, which they are not. If I can make a stirring legal argument and the magistrate lets me off, then I am innocent. Its not like I can go to court for doing 125klm/hr, bat my eyelids to someone and get it brought down to 111klm/hr. The charge is either proven or it isnt. If you have mitigating circumstances that the Police officer discarded and the magistrate may care about you have every right to seek justice in tune with the actual situation.

Adding a fee to this beyond basic court costs is just putting the chance of justice out of reach of the poor.

I just feel like you see yourself in white, anyone in court is black, and feel that there is no grey. I can assure you, its all grey.

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

WGMG: People who buy bolt on stuff for KE70's but don't mount any of it properly so the car looks like complete crap.

IE: Quad lights wonky, chrome bars zip tied, cheap nasty fender mirrors at all angles.

Whats the point buying all these expensive parts if you're not gonna bother making them fit properly, your car doesnt look any better.

LJ, never in my life have I ever heard of someone electing for a court hearing to try and get a lesser penalty on traffic charges. That's something that statistically never happens. People end up in court all the time, but for offences that require a court date, such as DD, Massive speeding 40klm/hr plus, Dangerous driving causing GBH. Its certainly not for low range speeding or minor offences. The people who elect to have those heard are people like me, who want to confront some poor Police work head on.

Something else your not getting. If you think you've been given a dodgy ticket by a Police officer for whatever reason, and you want to see the evidence. You have to elect for a court hearing. If you elect for a court hearing, see the evidence, then decide to plead guilty and just take the ticket, you don't just get the court costs, you get to pay the extra $100. It makes it almost prohibitively expensive to beat small charges. You just get forced to accept it in most cases, which creates great latitude for the Police to be writing a lot of tickets that are borderline at best, because they know people are less likely to object.

The point I'm making is, if they had thought it through, they might have realised that they were also going to be penalising people who didn't need to be in court in the first place, or worse still, people who are victims of undeniable Police corruption. My feeling is that this was the intention of the fee.

Also, blaming departmental heads within the govt is pretty speculative. I believe they would have needed to pass a law to be able to collect this tax so I can't see how it didn't come from the top, it didn't exist under the Labor Government (whom I disliked just as much).

Also your comments about people knowingly guilty going to court to try and get a lesser penalty was what I quoted and responded to. Again, this comment shows a lack of understanding of what actually happens in court. If someone can go to court and convince a rather wily magistrate that even though they were speeding, they had a reason to be at that moment, then yes they were guilty of it, but they still didnt deserve a ticket. Your comments suggest the world is only black and white, with one group in black the criminals, and the group in white the Good guys. You seem to think that good and bad, guilty and innocent are mutually exclusive ideas, which they are not. If I can make a stirring legal argument and the magistrate lets me off, then I am innocent. Its not like I can go to court for doing 125klm/hr, bat my eyelids to someone and get it brought down to 111klm/hr. The charge is either proven or it isnt. If you have mitigating circumstances that the Police officer discarded and the magistrate may care about you have every right to seek justice in tune with the actual situation.

Adding a fee to this beyond basic court costs is just putting the chance of justice out of reach of the poor.

I just feel like you see yourself in white, anyone in court is black, and feel that there is no grey. I can assure you, its all grey.

You obviously haven't had much to do with the court system and traffic infringements then.....

MANY people take offences to court to get off (I've had police, legal reps and even a few court staff to chat to about it...). I know of numerous people who have simply elected to take their fines to court, knowingly guilty, due to loop holes and other areas that they knew would either get their offence wiped, or atleast garner a reduced penalty. (one point for 6 months because you need to get to work, or maybe attend some seminars and not have anything on your record etc)

and yes, in cases where there is no law stating a minimum penalty (e.g. Skyes law in NSW that mandates a 5 year prison term for those who run from police) it is entirely at the judges discretion to hand down a sentence they think is fitting (given the evidence provided by both sides on the day)

I'm going to leave it at that respone and stop chalking up the GMGs going on, you've got an opinion of the system from your day in court, I've got mine.....

WGMG:

Hashtags.... coming soon to facebook....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323393304578360651345373308.html

Hipsters will be rejoicing

Edited by orangeLJ

It's the worst when you see a picture posted on facebook and it goes something like this:

220px-Ash_Tree_-_geograph.org.uk_-_590710.jpg

OMG was just out at somedouchebags farm!

#farm #tree #grass #green #sky #clouds #country #fence #leaves #cows #blue #green #brown #white #background #hills #peaceful #branches #trunk #creek #paddock #wind #fencepost #birds #cow shit

What goes through my head:

oh_my_god__who_the_hell_cares__by_nzabob-d46gjne.gif?w=584

WGMG: Something I like to call 'there's a kit for that'. When people have no idea about cars they think every modification can be bought in kit form.

Also, people with very little knowledge on a topic trying to school you when you know 10X as much as them. The other day, my workmate was trying to tell me that his AE9X had a 1.5L 4A-GE, and his justification was "that's what the 1.5 badge said so that's what it had". He also thinks everything can be bought in kits.

448e7a27cfcfd4e93f14d485298881cc,62,37.jpg