2tg Into A Ke30

fusion

Thinking of doing this conversion into my KE30 Corolla. Wondering though what kind of 5 speed gear box I could use without having to cut up the body in any shape of form.

Or if people think this might be to much of a challenge let me know :)

Got someone who reckons an early Celica 5 speed should work, but would like your guys opinions :D

Cheers Fusion

Members dont see this ad

Cheers leigh :D

Hmm after reading that, it doesn't help to much since through mechanical sources you can apparently use a different gear box from a early Celica so that the engine sits comfortably and the gear box sits around the same position as a stock KE30.

Anyone got personal experience with this?

Edited by fusion

• 4 weeks later...

well it depends if you make custom engine mounts or not.

if you modify the cross member then you will need to modify the gearbox cross member as well.

but if u make custom engine mounts then you can use the standard gearbox cross member but the engine will sit to the right hand side a little. you will then have to cut the gearbox tunnel a little so the shifter fits through.

the gearbox you want came in ta22 celica is a t50. beware that ae71s and ae86 came with t50s as well. but they have different bell housings and possibly splines.

it really is easy to do. easier than a 4age. and they also sound better than 4ages if you ask me.

pce

Hey there mate, i just sold my ke30 3t-2tg, but remember the car well, the simplest way out of it would be just to use a (as stated earlier :) ), ta22 5 speed, or a t18 5 speed, depending on how you make up your engine mounts (thanks 2tgeu ke35 :cool: ), my engine mounts were modified in the exact position as the k series ones, which allowed me to use the stock crossmember and tailshaft, although i had to slightly cut the shifter hole larger to house the gearstick,

hope this helps

cheers phatke30!

• 2 months later...

Wow, thank god we don't have problems like this one here in USA, cause most of our corollas here are T models.

2tg is the best way to go mate ^_^. If you do this, I really think u need a te31 75-78 toyota corolla x-member so that the 2tg will just bolt right in. You would also need a t50 tranny up to the year 79. You can use a t50 tranny off of 80-83 toyota corolla too, but it will require cutting on the floor board for the shifter hole because it has moved about 2-3 inches to the rear.

I am building a 2tg/3t hybrid and expected to reach 500HP.

500hp on forced induction I'm guessing?

Yes indeed, it will be forced turbo induction with individual throtle bodies.

I've never heared of t18 tranny before, but my best info I can give is 71-78 t50 tranny will bolt on without cutting a hole on the floor board.

t18 is an Australian vertion of the te72 I belive , newer than 78.

So in USA there was only one vertion of the t50 gearbox tailhousing from 71 to 78 ?

Apart from te2x , te3x and ta22 what cars did they come in ?

Thx for the t18 info.

The version one t50 tranny came from 1971-1978 te2x, te3x, and ta2x ( japan and USA). The version two t50 came from 79-83 te7x.

The corolla and some celica were the only ones that were factory equipped with t series.

Edited by JDM_GUY

Interesting. I once bought a t40 out of a 76 ta28 celica and it had the shifter in "rear" position. Could have been changed ofcourse, but doubt it.

In Europe we got some carina ta12 , ta14 and ta40 as well. don't know about shifter pos. on those.

I have a couple of 82/83 carina ta60 t50 boxes as well but they are the big bearing 22spline type.