February 22, 200818 yr comment_229379 Hey everybody, thought some of you may take interest in my current project. I've fitted a centrepoint injection throttlebody from an EA f@lcon :P to the standard manifold, controlled by a DIY megasquirtII v3 EFI computer. This involved also fitting extra coolant and air intake temperature sensors, a return line to the fuel tank, and a high pressure pump. I also used the ECU to run my shift light and thermo fan, among other things. Having got this working I fitted a wideband oxygen sensor to the exhaust so the ECU can self tune. Once happy with the performance so far, I went ahead and obtained a distributorless ignition system in the form of a f*rd EDIS system from a british 90's escort. This involved fitting a 36-1 toothed wheel and sensor to the crankpulley, and a module and coilpack. This almost allowed me to do away with the dizzy, except that it drives the oil pump, so I machined an old dizzy down and fitted the EDIS coilpack (from a transit van) to the top of the dizzy. This allowed me to use my existing leads. All up its given me a very flexible engine management system running fuel and spark, laptop programmable from the passenger seat, making for fantastic cold starts and driveability, that self tunes itself on the fly. Not bad for about $1600 so far. And yes I considered all manner of engine conversions I could probably have done for less money but this seemed more fun and educational to me, and still looks stock under the bonnet at a glance. Have included some pictures. Will have to take some more of the laptop real-time display later. Cheers, Brodie. Report
February 22, 200818 yr comment_229381 thats cool as, the coil pac idea is pure gold, great work do you know a HP output Report
February 22, 200818 yr Author comment_229382 No sorry, no HP figure yet, quite drivable but lots of on-road tuning ahead of me before it's "right" - to my standard, anyway. Report
February 22, 200818 yr comment_229392 i know what you mean, I'm still sorting out the tuning of my 32 36 webber on my worked 4k Report
February 22, 200818 yr comment_229398 Like it :P Pretty cool how you've made up that sticker on the valve cover too :yes: Report
February 22, 200818 yr comment_229402 Thats cool as mate! love to see some pics of the intake manifold. A+ Report
February 22, 200818 yr comment_229403 That is a nice setup, good work. I really like how stock looking it is. :P You should put together a decent 5k, and run 2 of those throttle bodies on a twin aisan manifold. Report
February 22, 200818 yr Author comment_229404 Thanks for the feedback everyone. The sticker on the rocker-cover is one i made with my generic label maker ie $60 at officeworks - bought it originally to label all the custom dash lights but found a million other uses after. As for the intake manifold there's not much really to see, it's had a thread tapped in the #1 runner for an intake air temp sensor, and the throats have been hogged out to within an inch of its life to one big throat which has an adaptor plate bolted on, VERY similar to a weber adaptor plate but custom made for these TB's. There's no injectors to see or anything cos they're inside the TB, one 440cc injector per 34mm throat times 2 and they open synchronously (ie they're not staged). Being enough for a 3.9litre f@lcon it will manage a 5k or even a boosted 5k fine with duty cycle to spare. 2 would be too excessive, maybe 2 of a 1.8 camira or pulsar might be better suited but they have a funny triangular fitting arrangement. Really this TB is way too big for this application - it works fine but shoots a bit lean if you floor it from idle and I can't seem to tune this out, but I can live with it. Lots of people told me it would never work, I wouldn't be able to tune it lean enought at cruise and idle but I seem to have proved them wrong. As for replacing the engine with a 5k or similar I do intend to sooner or later. I'd ideally like a 7k. At this stage this engine runs fine, but is a little tired and suffers lots of blowby, I have a 4k in the shed so I wasn't too concerned if I killed it as my EFI test bed. It won't die though, amazing considering the treatment it's had! Later Report
February 23, 200818 yr Author comment_229437 Just thought i'd add one of the lappy on the passenger seat with it's display up - sorry you can't see much, best I could do in low-res mode. Added one of the custom dash too - just because I love it. Report
February 23, 200818 yr comment_229490 Nice little project you have going there, Stealth FTW!! Always good to learn the principals of EFI and even better to apply them to something as simple as a K motor.. Report
February 23, 200818 yr comment_229503 Thats and awesome project sounds like alot of forward planning was done before hand I really would like to see some intake pics as it sounds quite interesting. Also this would open up some options for supercharging with the efi :P keep up the good work :yes: Edited February 23, 200818 yr by lappy Report
February 23, 200818 yr comment_229527 Very nice job, well done. Where did you get the trigger wheel from and what does one cost? Report
February 23, 200818 yr Author comment_229531 Hello again all Yeah it's fair to admit I put a bit of forward planning into this project, I collected parts for about a year before beginning. As for being easily superchargeable, yeah its no drama, especially as the FPR is built into the throttle body and boost-referenced - ie it takes its vacuum feed from the throat of the TB, so will wind its pressure up automatically as boost increases - should handle 6psi or so no drama. I have included the only manifold picture i've got - it's sitting on the floor of my car waiting to be taken to the welders in this shot - note the marks - no one runner was tapped for the AIT sensor, no 4 runner had a thread welded in for the brake booster as it's an early (pre brake booster) manifold. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the spacer fitted to the manifold but its really not that exciting. Also please excuse the throttle hookup in the second pic - has since been done properly but was busting to take for a strap around the block at the time. Nickz - the trigger wheel comes from an american company called DIY-Autotune(.com) - they sell lots of bits and pieces like this - also who I sourced the ECU from. I recall it cost about US$30 plus postage (actually cost more than the item to post(!). There are lots of companies in the US selling trigger wheels with various mounting methods, I selected this one carefully as it pretty much bolts straight on. The pickup for the wheel is from an escort, but an ABS wheel-speed sensor would be a fine alternative. Bye for now Edited February 23, 200818 yr by brodie Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now