Team Science Ninja Racing Ke35 Corolla

silverra23

Been to Phillip Island and came home early today. Way too wet! Way too windy! But the rain was the big problem.

My first session was dry, and as I got used to the car again at the Island, my best time was a 2.10.5946. About 3 seconds off what I did last time, but I was just getting my eye in (Taken from drivers excuses manual version 3.0). First in class again (out of two!)

Then it p*ssed down and everything got put on hold for a while. When it softened off to just a normal every day shower they let us out again, but doing a quick time was impossible. Lots of traffic, no grip, no bravery pills... but it was kinda fun sliding out of corners, drifting on to the straight, drifting out of Siberia, etc etc etc.

I had quite a few moments and packed up and came home after 2 wet sessions. Didnt want to throw the car away. I was behind a Soarer when he had a big tank slapper and spun off and gently kissed the wall, and behind a few other moments for others too.

My best in the wet was 2.38.0791

Looking at lap times on natsoft it looks like it might have dried up later in the afternoon. Oh well :P

Anyways here is some video of the day - angle was kinda shite as the camera was stuck to the rear view mirror and I got it ballsed up a bit.

First is the highlights reel has - the beginnings of the Soarer spin (spewing the camera stopped then!!) at 1.50. A Civic having a wiggle in front of me at 2.40. 3.28 I have a wiggle out of Siberia, and then a major moment (that doesnt look that bad on the video) at Lukey Heights on 3.52.

Full session video if you are feeling like doing a few slowish laps if the Island in the wet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l71Br2_sE-0

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No mechanical dramas this weekend so a vast improvement on Sandown.

Better balanced now that it has been corner weighted properly too.

Steering doesn't have me completely convinced I have to say, so I am going to talk to some of the gurus at work and see what they think. It would be hard to turn in, then suddenly snap into oversteer.

This is all based on one dry run though, in the wet it was just slippery every where!

Certainly does keep the concentration levels up! Do you do an hours stint in the 6 hour or is it broken up to 15 min stints? An hour would be rather hard work in the wet!

2.10 isn't as good as the 2.07 I did. Wasn't planning on going back again to PI this year, but I might have to so I can have another crack at bettering my times in better conditions.

When are you doing a Rides thread Steve - we need another racer on show!

The 6 hour is a pretty good event.

Maybe we need another Corolla on the team next year!!

Yep, the max laps you can do in one stint is 15.

So we set a target of 10 laps per driver per stint (if you miss the pit board and lap over the 15 then there is a penalty).

2.07 is a good time. ithink my fastest (unofficial time ) was 2.11 with ignition issues, so there's more to be had once we eradicate the gremlins and set the car up properly.

I'll try and put something up, but i'm a bit spasmodic with my posting as i'm busy with other projects/ work etc.

By the way, i'm running a TA22 diff with an LSD. do you know of an easy bolt on disc brake option for this diff.

Someone suggested Corona (can't remember which model)

By the way, i'm running a TA22 diff with an LSD. do you know of an easy bolt on disc brake option for this diff.

Someone suggested Corona (can't remember which model)

Sorry to butt in, but there is a good thread on how to do this on Toymods.

You use RT142 discs and calipers and mod them to fit your T series diff. Doesn't look too hard :P

Yes there is a pretty easy bolt on disc conversion. Basically you need everything off an RT142 Corona with a solid rear axle. If you are running a hand brake then you need the cables too I think.

There is a "how to" guide here on toymods - http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32132 - though I think you will need to sign up to view it. Well worth it though.

You need to machine up a spacer ring to hold the bearing in place according to that guide.

It also talks about moving the lower shock mount when the diff is in a Celica, but I am not sure if this would be required in a KE35 (The leaf spring retaining gear is probably far enough out of the way)

I have all the bits in a box at home, just need to get brave and fit them at some point!

Edited by silverra23