Doogs' Ke20 - Lke020

Doogs

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad

G'day guys,

So the rear end has now been stripped and deoxadene'd and we have seam sealed the gutters and front of the bonnet. We also re-attached the bonnet to the skin with sikaflex and this has reduced it oilcaning. About half a day was spent with a slide hammer and hand tools pullng the rear end back out, to improve the gaps around the bootlid. The rear valence panel is still quite bent up and so I'm looking for a new one we can stitch in. I don't like my chances finding one all that much, so we might be stuck repairing the one on the car.

Yesterday we gave all the baremetal a coat of etch primer, this should help seal things up and reduce future rust.

We will now go around all the areas we have stripped and etched, and repair things bit by bit before stripping the rest. We plan to work around the whole car this way and get it all straight again.

Stripping;

100_3048.jpg

Seal sealer;

100_3050.jpg

Bonnet re-attached;

100_3051.jpg

Gapping bootlid with new rubber and pulling the end out;

100_3053.jpg

100_3058.jpg

100_3055.jpg

100_3060.jpg

100_3061.jpg

100_3062.jpg

Edited by Doogs

That's looking good doogs. Impressed with the effort you're putting in. By the way, is that xb in the background a John Goss Special by any chance?

Matt.

Thanks Matt.

Nah, it's a genuine XB GT though. I've driven it a few times including when I was back on my L's :) , very sweet car !

This is coming up so good, its going to look sweet as when finished :yes:

Keep up the good work mate :yes:

Thanks mate, hope so.

Should be getting back into it this weekend, was at Heathcote drags with a few blokes this weekend so no updates.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Baker, was great meeting you on the weekend.

Those are the most recent pics. Unfortunately I couldn't work on it Saturday because my mate had to cancel at the last minute. He is also working on an HQ SS, and a bloke came round to his place and offered 10k cash if he delivered it on the day. Gonna rip into it this weekend.

It's a little frustrating working under his direction because he wants to oversee every step, so this limits progress and the time spent on the car. I understand it will be worth it in the long run because I'm learning a heap, and it will look good when done. I'm also glad I gave it all a crack myself before he was giving me a hand, because that taught me some different lessons.

The weekend's cruise definitely helped motivation, and seeing "TIKTAK" in the flesh confirmed for me that a pearl is worth the effort.

• 1 month later...

Updates?

Hey,

Both rear 1/4s have now been 90% repaired and are looking a lot better. No photos just yet.

I'm going to fit up my rims with tyres and drop the car down to ride height to see if the gaurds need lipping/pulling for clearance. I want this to be done before the 1/4 repairs are finished and paint goes on.

The car is now back at home and I have taken on of the front struts out because I need to sort out what shockers I can upgrade to. Springs will be done before RWC and maybe shockers as well (funds depending). I'm also going to strip and paint the bay so the job will be thorough.

My brother and I have just bought a Datsun Stanza with; L18, Sideys and a SSS Dog-leg 5 speed as a bit of a fun daily. This takes a bit of pressure off the 20 build so I can just take my time and do things right. It will still be a bit of a 2-stage process with front coilovers and brake upgrades to come, as well as engine, diff and gearbox.

I aim to progressivly upgrade with the future in mind, so generally I don't have to spend money twice. An example of this is when I upgrade to an LSD I will probably move to a shortened BW78, so it will handle future power upgrades.

Hopefully a bit more will happen in my uni break next week if I don't get to bogged down in study.

Cheers,

Dougal

• 6 months later...

Hey guys,

Not all that much happening at the moment. Time is scarce with Uni, Work and SAE.

I have tyres on my rims and I'm gonna sort some coilover sleeves on the front. Not looking forward to seeing the fitment :S 205/60/13s on 6s! Just have to buy some more period 7s or 8 S with stretch! :P

I have my first free day for a long time next Sunday so I will make some more progress of my own. Having a mates "help" has just slowing me up because he has way to many projects. No point rushing things though so I'll keep working my way through in my own time.

Also I bought a 5k, 5 speed and custom plennum made from XF falcon runners from Loupee. Keen to get an engine build going soon (time premitting) and I'm leaning towards a dedicated gas setup on an Impco or GRA.

Cheers,

Edited by Doogs

• 3 weeks later...

Recent work;

100_3151.jpg

Light coat of etch (still some more sanding to do);

100_3150.jpg

100_3195.jpg

Back to original paint/steel;

100_3500.jpg

Reofill for pinholes;

100_3501.jpg

Etch;

100_3502.jpg

100_3503.jpg

I need some longer bolts so I can put the engine on the stand, and then I can pull it down and determine what needs doing. Hopefully more time for progress soon, still need to strip the other door and front gaurds.