Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Turbo Charade Pistons Into 4k

Featured Replies

You will find that late 4ks have the strong rods,not all 5ks have the big rod i believe there was a production change by toyota,if you go order a new 4k rod you will get one of the stronger rods.Interesting about the 1ggze pistons that brings up some interesting engine build options.

  • Replies 64
  • Views 96.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to my local toyota dealer today and we looked up 5k rods they crossreferenced to 4k and 1g rods,1ggte and 1ggze rods have different part numbers each.I also measured up a 1g piston and yep there compression height is 32.5mm 3.5mm less than a std k series piston i think i possibly had the 1g piston in with a 4k crank in a 3k when i was playing about with pistons a while back i was also doing a mock up using a honda piston at the same time(honda piston would work)dunno anyway getting :D :D

  • 8 months later...

so has anyone actually run a 1G piston and rod setup in there 4K?

I'm very interested, but need more info before i go emptying the wallet!

there was 2 rods in a 4k and only 1 in a 5k.

found this out the hard way when i lived in NZ.

 

all the 4k commercials had the heavy rods. dished piston or flat tops, it didn't matter.

 

Not all late 4k's (family cars) have the heavy rod, but all 5k's do.

and you're right, order a rod from toyota and you'll get a heavy rod.

 

Matt Dunn, that would be Allan Dunn's boy?

 

also the the light rod was good for 8 grand and the heavy was good for 10 grand.(that came from Warren Burt).

yep matt is alans son

 

 

isnt it weird.....

 

most kiwis on this site are all from the same small town and seem to know most of the same people! :D

 

revs kill rods, not boost........ to a point

  • 2 weeks later...

has anyone worked out what compression ratio 1g-gze pistons and rods would make on a 4k.. or should i say what cc's? so i can work out my head and see..

 

i've got a turbo 4k at the moment and i'm trying to decide to build a strong 4k or 5k motor, does anyone know of turbo/surpercharger pistons that fit the 5k bore/rod?

and besides, how much boost do you want to run? stock pistons will take 6psi happily, 8psi for short periods of time, and 10psi kills them fairly quick

 

I ran anywhere between 10 and 12 psi when I used to run the SC on the old 4K's with 300,000 plus K's on em, and never once had a piston issue, after about a year of HARD driving, the timing chains used to get noisy. I had one that got smokey, but that is it. The only one I actually made not run was one that was boiling and I kept into it until it seized.

 

This setup was always badly tuned, and flogged HARD...maybe I was just lucky?

Oh there was lots haha

 

Everytime I would do burnouts the engine would boil it's tits off, and then ping like a freak....It was just a bad time all round for these engines....

 

Which is why I love the K engines....They love the torture, and just keep coming back for more :P

Judging by the KE20 I saw the other night with a blow thru turbo setup running damn low boost into the 5K...I'd say they go f@$kin hard

yea my turbo 4k runs 7psi and hits 11-12 when loosing traction and i often put the locker in and do dougnuts for as long as i can and its yet to die. i only had it running for a bout 3months tho

 

the only trouble i've had is clutch's and diff's

I always have near new clutches in my cars, as they are so cheap, I just use standard ones, and even with 10psi and hard driving, I never ever even looked like having a clutch issue....

 

Diffs...I have broken 23, but that is due to huge burnouts, and stupid high rev drops....They are just so damn fun,

 

and gearbox's, 16 which have all broken due to the same reason.

 

I have since run out of spare gearbox's and dff's so I have stopped the burnout fun....for now :P

hehehe

23 diffs and 16 gearboxes.

thats a top notch effort

It's fun to be young and stupid :P

 

It's not so fun when you get old though haha

lol, ill be really pissed off i break my diff, so young and stupid i may be but broken diffs better not come knocking

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.