Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

I'm Dyslexic!

Featured Replies

Hey all,

 

I've just done a search on here and came up with a thousand topics...........................

 

Question-

 

How on earth do i remove all of the sound proofing/body deadening from the floor inside my rolla?

i'd be buggered if i'm going to spend two days with a screw driver slowly picking away at it. I've been told that i need to use some sort of heat gun? WTF?

 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

 

cheers phatke30!

Dry ice apparently is the go. Comes up a treat so I've heard.

 

A heat gun melts it and makes it all gooey = Bad

 

I'm old school: Hammer, chisel, beer, weekend.

Edited by Redwarf

I use a heat gun and a paint scraper. The job sucks and theres no truly easy way to do it.

 

Basically I try to heat up a big section (say 20cm.sq) and remove it but you need to heat it so that it soaks through to the underside (rather than just heat the top surface). I spend maybe 2-3 minutes heating up the section on low heat (something like 240deg on my gun), then the adhesive goes soft and it just peels off (still takes a fair bit of force). To remove the residue left over I used carby cleaner because it just happened to be nearby but any similar kind of solvent should work. Comes of easy.

 

I do know people who've done it using dry ice but I'm not convinced its any easier (It involves freezing the tar so its hard and smashing it off).

  • Author

mmmmmm, the heat gun way sounds rather less time consuming, although getting a hold of a heat gun............i might just buy one. if that doesn't work i'll do redwarf's hammer and grog weekend,

 

thanks for your replies fella's,

 

cheers phatke30!

you heat the underside of the floor & the shit should just peel off.

Deleted

Edited by Sbox

I have removed some from falcons. All I was given was a gasket scraper looking thing. And use a hammer haha.

 

 

Good luck!

  • Author
you heat the underside of the floor & the shit should just peel off.

 

and i had to paint the underside of the car before i thought of this :lolcry:

 

 

If you have access to an air compressor, use an air chisel. You can buy them for stuff all from Super cheap. Only way to fly.

 

I've got one on hand. Thanks, thats another option.

 

I have removed some from falcons. All I was given was a gasket scraper looking thing. And use a hammer haha.

 

 

Good luck!

 

the tool you use, is it similar to a tile scraper/breaker?

Dry ice is the go. Worked a treat on the rally-car.

 

If you need to remove sound deadening from more vertical places like the firewall or the sides of the tranny tunnel then get some leather gloves and harden up. Hold it there for a few mins and it works just as well.

 

don't use a heatgun unless you have no braincells left to kill from the fumes or simply can't afford $50 odd bucks for a few kilos of dry ice.

Deleted

Edited by Sbox

my dad has a kings ransom in some kind of bug and tar remover/brake cleaner type stuff. I just did a real lazy ass job with hammer and chisel, then just sprayed it over and over and over again with the cleaning stuff. Probably the most expensive way to do it

 

I also turned slightly pyro and set the shit on fire by pouring kero on it. Works ok, but do it in small sections

  • Author

thanks for the idea's guys, dry ice isn't hard for me to get, if it wasn't for moisture somehow makeing its way between the sound deadening (gotta love rust) and the floor i would't have bothered with doing this,

 

i'm going to tackle it this weekend with the idea's in mind,

 

cheers phatke30!

yeah dry ice in pellets is the go, i had some pics up on toymods when i did it.

 

use a few bricks as temporary boxing and a plastic bag or a few bags with

pellets inside to do diffrent areas and move quickly. also using bags will cover

difficult areas very well :lolcry:

don't use a heatgun unless you have no braincells left to kill from the fumes or simply can't afford $50 odd bucks for a few kilos of dry ice.

 

You shouldn't be heating it hot enough to get fumes. No need to go that hot! Once the stuff goes really soft it actually makes it more difficult. Can't say I particularly like the air chisel idea either :lolcry:. Undue haste makes waste!

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.