4speed Or 5speed That Is The Question.

worth byeing a 5speed for my 5k KE30??

I am not doing anything extreem, just dayly driving.

I havent put the 5k in yet. I have a 3k still, but it sucks trying to do more than 75km/h. Is it because of the obvios lack of power, or the shitty gear box ratio?

Cheers. Doug (adelaide)

Members dont see this ad

t50 on a k motor is not logical unless the motor is worked enough to regularly blow boxes

if you do alot of speeds above 60 on a fairly opten basis then id say its worth it

my ke70 is 4sp n its fair annoying,

if u can find one at u pull it take the shifter out and tell them its a 4spd when u buy it because 4spds are about 80 i think while 5 speeds are almost 200

If you do a bit of highway driving, then a 5th gear would be beneficial. Brings down the rpm, therefore use less petrol; it does make quite a difference.

Seems like petrol prices are just going to keep rising, so an investment into a 5 speed would be worth while.

Look for a K50 gearbox out of a KE55.

the 5 speed box is slighly weaker.

they have smaller lay gears.

IIRC this only applies to the KE55 K50 box layshaft bearings, not the gears themselves. The update (KE70?) version K50s have a bigger layshaft than the first (KE55) version.

If you can provide photos otherwise I would be very interested to see them!!

Thanks for all your help gyes.

I am writing this after i have put allot of it in. I forgot i started this thread, and you gyes kept writing.

My bad.

I have found one. At U-pull it. was only $90. Exept when i got it home to mesure it up we realised that the shifter was a bit further back. :D So I sat there and thought about it for a wile. :yes: Dad convinced me to "cut a small nick" into the shifter hole so it would just fit. Exept when we put the box in, we realised that it wouldnt be a "small nick" it would have to be a huge hole :lovin:

So after mesuring it up for a wile i sat there with a hole saw in my hand staring at my rolla. I think i may have said sorry to it and then hacked a hole in the floor. I think i cryed a bit. poor rolla. But it now has a 5K with a 5 speed. so will be allot nicer to drive.

Thanks again for your help :wave: >| :wub: :hug:

Cheers Doug

You have a ke70 k50 by the sounds of then.

Could have avoided cutting the trans tunnel by fitting a ke55 k50 rear extension housing.

Oh well, if what Irokin has written is correct, then you have the stronger of the 2!

IIRC this only applies to the KE55 K50 box layshaft bearings, not the gears themselves. The update (KE70?) version K50s have a bigger layshaft than the first (KE55) version.

If you can provide photos otherwise I would be very interested to see them!!

this is what i was informed by a toyota mechanic...?

if its incorrect than that fine. but being from a toyota mechanic i would hope its true.