July 10, 200818 yr comment_259868 Oh jeez. It's harder than it looks. I've got the gear changes down pretty well. But it's taking off. I still jerk a bit. Dad's a truckie and has tried to explain it and I've done a few smooth take offs. First time I've driven a manual so I guess it's just practice. Report
July 10, 200818 yr comment_259872 Keep at it mate. You'll eventually get there. At first it does seem hard, but you pick it up real quick if you've got the right people teaching you. Just find that friction point and stay there for a little while longer for it to stop the jerking. Good luck with it! Report
July 10, 200818 yr Author comment_259876 Keep at it mate. You'll eventually get there. At first it does seem hard, but you pick it up real quick if you've got the right people teaching you. Just find that friction point and stay there for a little while longer for it to stop the jerking. Good luck with it! Cheers. Yeah. I tend to find if I get the car moving before I let the clutch up it works out smoother. Can't wait to start trying those hill starts (sarcasm). Report
July 10, 200818 yr comment_259878 Hill starts are actually a very good way to learn your clutch coordination... Report
July 10, 200818 yr comment_259883 I'm still a novice manual driver and i can vouch for the hillstarts. in my brothers landcruiser i have gotten better at them. i always think I'm buggering them up but its just the noise from his thrust bearing in the GB as its stuffed Report
July 10, 200818 yr comment_259887 when i was teaching a mate to drive, i found it worked well starting off in 2nd gear when on a slight downhill. Report
July 10, 200818 yr comment_259889 Practice makes perfect. I never use the handbrake on hillstarts anymore. I also am ACE at reversing, I use to time myself on how fast I could reverse through the Maccas Drive-Thru that I worked out. Plus I would also reverse into my parks where ever I'd park. Makes for a quicker get away. Report
July 10, 200818 yr comment_259894 Diesel engines are much easier with manuals.. then petrol engines. So remember that one. Hill starts aren't too hard to do, just practice somewhere, and really think about what you are doing and what you are trying to make the car do. I am guilty of tight parking. I am not too keen on it.. though just keep practicing. I am a Learner too :P Report
July 10, 200818 yr comment_259907 I need to practice mountain driving. I'll just have to plan a few more mountain cruises. :P Report
July 10, 200818 yr comment_259911 Oh jeez. It's harder than it looks. I've got the gear changes down pretty well. But it's taking off. I still jerk a bit. Dad's a truckie and has tried to explain it and I've done a few smooth take offs. First time I've driven a manual so I guess it's just practice. Yeah, a few people on here still jerk a bit lol :cool: Its kind of like masturbation really :dance: You start off reaching the friction point too quick and then its all over, but with practice you can ease on and off the friction point and make it all that more enjoyable. Then with time, you just don't jerk as much and it becomes second nature :P Report
July 10, 200818 yr comment_259921 Yeah, a few people on here still jerk a bit lol :cool: Its kind of like masturbation really :dance: You start off reaching the friction point too quick and then its all over, but with practice you can ease on and off the friction point and make it all that more enjoyable. Then with time, you just don't jerk as much and it becomes second nature :P LOL, interesting take on things. All i ever wanted was a bush bomb and a spare paddock to trash out the technique :dance: Report
July 10, 200818 yr comment_259922 lol nice analagy raven...... basically on a hill start you can "see" the friction point... if you're rolling backwards, you missed it, if you are hovering it means you're on it, and if you go forward it means you're right on! I learnt to hill start on a massive hill, it felt like I was taking off in a plane it was that steep, my dad used it as a test to see how I was going, and I hated it...eventually, I beat it, and I could hold my spot, without rolling backwards and hold it until he told me to go forward, eventually, when I had it down pat he let me go for my licence! :P Report
July 10, 200818 yr Author comment_259961 I've had my P's for close to 6 months. So, at least I can drive. I think I'll get used to manual quicker than my sister. She was stalling at intersections for months. I've only done it once out of 5 times. Report
July 11, 200818 yr comment_259975 My dad too would take me to a really steep hill to practice. Tho our car had duel controls tho. I think we might still have them somewhere. When I took over ownership of the car I pulled them out. I didn't like driving around and my mates hitting the peddles. Report
July 11, 200818 yr comment_259982 I learnt to drive manual from the very start (in the land barge that is the SXV10R Camry), but taught my g/f to drive manual in the AE102 and then the KE55 (she'd learnt to drive in an auto, so could do everything else fine). She found finding the friction point a LOT easier in the KE55, so much so that she could actually get the car moving on flat ground purely using the clutch. In the 102 however, the gearing is a bit taller so it almost always stalls. Nothing a tiny bit of throttle can't fix, and thats how I learnt it - tiny bit of constant throttle (say 1500-2000, no higher than a cold idle), ease the clutch pedal up about a third of the way to get the car moving and then smoothly release the clutch whilst adding a bit more throttle. Although I must admit I was a very fast learner, managed to drive the Camry all the way home (about 15km through heavy traffic) on my first day driving it. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now