5-speed Box.

Alrighty then, I have 4-speed manual 1979 KE-55.

It revs almost at the limit at 90km/h and if i were to try and get up to 100 it'l probably blow up, an extra gear will help it get to 100+ without making a huge noise and killing it.

What 5-speed gearbox will fit in my 55 no problem?

Cheers.

Members dont see this ad

Don't worry, you wont kill it. K40's (4 Speed KE55 boxes) are extremely strong, much stronger than K50's.

You can find a 5 speed in some KE55's. They were offered as an optional extra. You find them more in the later square headlight KE55's.

Top speed aside, just highway crusing with a 4 speed isn't pleasant. You're not likely to nuke your motor but. I drove my KE70 for 4 months with a holden traumatic (auto) and a 4.3 diff on the highway every day. Think ~4300rpm for 15 minutes. A 4.1 diff and a 5 speed brought that down to a much more comfortable 3200rpm. Off the top of my head 4th gear with the 4.1 at 100kmph is about 3900rpm.

Find yourself a K50 out of another KE55. Theres probably on in the for sale area at the moment.

My 25 had 14"s with a ke70 5speed and a stock jap diff. coming back home from a mates with a 4k in the boot. sitting on 100kmh and had a lexus 4wd up my ass honkin and flashing his lights. dropped it back to 4th took off and wound it out to about 150 and grabbed 5th with plenty in reserve, then slowed as speed shakes set it :dance: looks on the people in the lexus was hilarious. i will admit it was on a public highway...um i mean private property,officer.

CHEERS

Ryan

• 9 months later...

http://www.rollaclub.com/faq/index.php?title=Manual_Gearbox i have been looking at this thread and it has given me a lot of info. But i still like to clairfy a few things;

if i was to get a k50(5spd) from a Ke30-ke50 i wont have to cut a hole in the floor and gear stick will sit in same possition

Extension housings between 4 and 5 speed are not interchangeable so what do i have to do exactly to put a k50 5spd into my KE30.

sorry guys just couldnt find the info already out there any help would be appriciated