Compliance Plates

1JZ~lux

I have a bit of a delema and I'm not too sure how bad a thing this is (concerning rego and defects and stuff)?

The other day I noticed that I now only have the Toyota build plate and no longer have the second Australian Compliance plate in the engine bay. Is it possible to get Toyota to make another one for me? What will the Transport Department say if I have to get it inspected? Less plates in the engine bay is a good thing (looks neater) in my book (especially when I start getting mod plates) but I don't want it to be something that will cause trouble for me in the future.

Members dont see this ad

Mate, you have a problem.

You do not want to get defected. Because if you don't have all the required plates your car is absolutely useless.

the defect station will pick up on it.

Toyota will not make more.

there is no reason for anyone to take the plates off, unless its stolen.

This is what I was worried about.

If I remember correctly, the Aust compliance plate has chassis number, engine number, build date, GMV and a few other important ones.

This plate was riveted on and the rivets rusted off while driving. The indesructability of the 3K means I don't look under the bonnet often so I can't say it fell off in any particular area.

I have thoroughly researched this as i temporarily lost mine during the strip down.

They told me that if i have a rego form of proof that the car has been regoed before,

i could get a rwc and re-rego without any hassels.

They said the problem would come when i tried to sell it, pretty much-they said i couldn't.

This is in QLD. Cheers

I have thoroughly researched this as i temporarily lost mine during the strip down.

They told me that if i have a rego form of proof that the car has been regoed before,

i could get a rwc and re-rego without any hassels.

They said the problem would come when i tried to sell it, pretty much-they said i couldn't.

This is in QLD. Cheers

Similar in Vic, if the car has been regoed before you really have nto got too much to worry about, this issue will come when selling or reregistering the car when previous rego is unknown...

Cheers

I had a similar problem I own a 1975 Ke30 which had been previously registred, but the lady at the D.O.T said i couldnt get it re-registerd and had to take the vehicle to the police station to get permission to have the car ok-d.

I later found out that i didnt need the Australian compliance plate as it never had one from the begining. all vehicles built before 75 i think it was were never stamped with a plate the vin was stamped on the body instead.

but as your rolla is 78 my info hasnt helped you any sorry

This is what I was worried about.

If I remember correctly, the Aust compliance plate has chassis number, engine number, build date, GMV and a few other important ones.

This plate was riveted on and the rivets rusted off while driving. The indesructability of the 3K means I don't look under the bonnet often so I can't say it fell off in any particular area.

Australian compliance plate is just that - what design rules the car complies with at the time of manufacture (eg - seat belts, seating, EPA crap, etc etc)

Where as the build plate is to show what motor, gearbox, diff is in the car, what colour and trim codes are used, where the car was made, the "VIN". Incidentally the "VIN" is also stamped on to the firewall next to the build plate.

For us (australia) we only got a basic "VIN" number on the cars. From memory its the engine code (eg - 3k) and then about 6-8 numbers which is/was the cars' build date (also its chassis code). America got a more formal version that gave the lot. Well, almost the lot.

I'm to lazy (and warm in bed) to go out to garage and grab the info from the manufacturers parts catalog.

If its just the compliance plate you need, just go to the wreckers and find another one and grab the screws holding it as well

As i am an authorised officer and can issue

modification plates I get asked this all the time. In QLD the compliance plate is required for the details like seating capacity and codes for engine gearbox diff ect. . By fitting a QLD mod plate I correct the missing info and QLD transport seem happy that this is enough.