4k-c Turbo?

KE70MAN

so just a quick run down on what was required, and some rough prices.

turbo - free (a mate has a 1ggtte celica who has blown 2 engine already, so he has 6 turbo, i'm already on my second. :P

i know this may have bin a little while ago but does he have any more left and is he will to either give away or self for cheap ish, and i woul;d love to see ur rolla in person again,

do u remember about 6 months ago near metro bus service u dragged a red T-18??

cause that was my last one i had!!

Cheers Sean

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

there are a few mg turbos over here in nz so not impossable to find but there are a few around you just have to look hard enough

and madrolla68 no its not a ke10 its a ke70 so eng bay is a tad bigger. if i had a 10 then i'd prob move the alt to the dissy side and mount turbo where alt used to be :lmao:

as for "boost referencing the stock mechanical fuel pump" i thought about this but decided this was not a good idea having pressurised air and fuel sitting on the side of a HOT block of metal.

roids 70 - think i've just f@$ked another one, so thats 2 down.

what engine are you thinking of using it on? they are VERY SMALL turbos (flow a litre of gas standard) so they are really even too small for a 3k let alone 4k!!!

would probably recommend trying to find a cheap t25, t28, or exa/ET turbo rather than using one of these. the sc12's seem to only last about 6 months being overworked like i'm doing, so i'd also recommend not using 1!!!

did i beat the t18?? :)

come round and have a look at it some time, can't take you for a run at the moment unless you bring a gearbox with you, cause i just blew one on the way out to georgetown for targa yesterday. luckily only got as far as invermay. :lmao:

SO DOES ANYONE IN TASSIE HAVE A CHEAP G-B FOR ME????????

• 2 weeks later...

sup turbo guru's, a 4K-T has just come up for sale and I'm seriously considering buying it. However, couple of questions!

The dude's pretty vague, and I haven't seen the engine yet (only rang today) buuuut he says its 'ex rally' but wasn't sure if he was talking about the engine or turbo. He said its some mitsubishi turbo, draw through SU setup. With manifolds and everything. spare 4 speed gearbox, and .40 thou pistons + rings but not installed. He says he bought it ages ago, but never used it.

Clincher... he wants $600 for it.

Is it worth it? I was just going to run 6psi... and maybe run 10 when it gets nice and cold :)

What would I need to do to my dizzie and the like?

Sorry for the ramblings, I'm not too aware of boosted 4K's...

I'll re read this thread a couple of times, but if you could answer these questions or guide me in the slightest I'd be eternally grateful :)

Danno

They never made a factory 4K turbo

So there goes the "rally" theory... he wouldn't be allowed to because regulations would not allow it.

Unless just the engine was a rally engine... with a turbo bolted onto it later.

I'm aware there wasn't a factory turbo :) . But when he was talking bout 100k's an hour so I wasn't sure whether the turbo was from a 'rally' car or the engine had been used for rally of some sort. But if you say regs won't allow it, then I guess there that goes.

I might go recon the engine and take pictures and get you guys to share the info. I'll take a bit of a mech guru mate with me. But it's going to have to wait til the weekend.

If I went the turbo route, would I be killing boxes, diffs and axles left right and centre? Even without real 'spirited' driving? Also, what about clutches? can't see an OEM cutting it, how bout a 40% extra clamp load?

Sorry for the noob questions all!

Tas RX was that u i saw the other day pulling apart a black car on a car trailer oposide the mini bus rentals on welignton st outside car electronics or wotever it is! i went past in my T-18 and i mad a weird nose out the window for some reason and everyone looked at me i thought it might thave bin u?

If I went the turbo route, would I be killing boxes, diffs and axles left right and centre? Even without real 'spirited' driving? Also, what about clutches? can't see an OEM cutting it, how bout a 40% extra clamp load?

Sorry for the noob questions all!

Depending on how much boost you run, the standard clutch should be fine. My SC 4K and 5K have all run standard clutches, on around 7-10psi, and I have never ever had a clutch slip issue....even with "spirited" driving.

Diffs and gearboxes though, well let's put it this way, 23 diff's and 17 gearboxes....But that is from very "spirited" driving

suck-tho turbos are pretty crap... and produce alot of heat so not the best idea.. many people will say there a dead dog... (if you do get it make sure its a carbon sealed turbo)

clutchs hold up for a while even with a thrashing and at only $100 for a new one its not bad... but diffs and axels seem to be my problem... with my 4k turbo i didn't have many problems but with my 5k turbo i've snapped a few axels and shatered a few diffs over a short perios of time... (i have a hilux now :) )

if you want a cheap run around then stay away from the turbo.... but if you don't mind fixing your car every weekend and having a bit of fun during the week then go for it... :)

hahahaha, yeah that was me roids!!

we were just unloading the RA45 celica that has finally got back from re-spray.

thats the car the has the 1g that I have got the turbos off, it had a 1g conversion in 1992 (the year that the 1g sourers were released!!!)

Its the other car accessory installs demo car (theres the mercedes vito aswell), will be back are car show soon hopefully with another bigger and better stez.

btw, could you get any further out the window when you came past!? :)

Killswitch- drive train is up to the turbo challenge. I have actually just blown a gear box, but that is due to the load put on it by the welded diff, not the extra torque and power.

as far as diffs and axles, I have only had problems with this due to the weldy aswell.

I've have only had minimal clutch slip from my 26 year old stocko clutch, but that was at the drag way after trying to set the boost controller (was spikikng like 15psi), but that was only cause it was getting really hot, havn't had a drama since. however since I have the engine and gear box out of the car at the moment and the clutch only has about 3-4mm befor the rivvets I should be picking up my RPM heavy duty clutch today from Rip-Every-Poor-c**t-Off for $127 trade price. this way clutches are never going to be a problem for me again. :)

Please do go back through a few pages of this thread and have a good read as I have already put heaps of info. there is 1 post with a whole heap of linked pics, thats got heaps in it.

just don't wanna have to type it all again. But if you don't understand anything feel free to fire some questions. ;)

sounds like an alright buy though for the price. All up now with the full exhaust, boost controller, etc etc mine has cost me about $600, but the thing you need to remeber is I also spent about 100 hours of my own time on it. no mechanics did anything.

hmm, the most popular setups seem to be blow through though, and well... this isn't :lolcry: . However, for $600 I'm pretty tempted to give it a bash. With a spare box and spare pistons if I melt them theres a sort of safety net. Anyway, my next step will be to find more accurate details out about said motor. Sleeper corolla's ftw!

Cheers for your help so far, and I did go over and read it last night... and got the 'gist' if you will, but I'll get there! gotta re-read the fuel system stuff and electric stuff again as thats got me a bit confused :)

I need a new clutch for my car as it is, so If I buy this engine + gearbox then I save $120! ;)

This might be more for rolla_boy as he is running a suck through set up, but... how hard was the tuning aspect of it?

And now I'm rambling... :)

Edited by Killswitch

Mine is draw thru yes...and it used to have a shitty old weber on it, now I have a Sidedraught Saab carby, and there isn't really anything to tune on it. It's a great carby, so just timing.

My 5K was running 4psi with this draw thru setup and it was about as fast as a VT/VX SS

righto, well I defo need to find more out. But from my understanding the engine has been used, but not for yonks. So it should have the correct needle I hope. Hoping the electrical side is fine too!

Will see it later this week and let ya's know, with pictures hopefully!

Thanks all

well actually up near hungry jacks i was like fully out the window and like nearly hit a traffic island!!!! but yeh i was look ooooooooooooooo that car Looks cool!!! then everone looked at me!