4k-c Turbo?

KE70MAN

are you using a rising rate reg and efi pump? (read one of my previous posts)

any idea on what sort of power figure its making??

yea i use a malpassi and a pump off a mg montego that is factory carb turbo. then jst made new fuel lines..

no idea on power but since i've had the 5k in i've snapped two axels in a few weeks :P

at a guess i'd say 110hp??? with head work and bigger valves i could get alot more out of it.

i love the way youve done your fuel set-up, how hard case... does it run really rich down low?

now i've run out of axel's and only 4days b4 i'm ment to go on holiday :P

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

do you mean how i'v done, or am going to do the fuel system??

currently doesn't fuel up, the needle and seat retention on those little webers in unbelievable, holds 12+psi easy.

the malpassi you say you are using, is it a rising rate reg, ie does it rase fuel pressure when on boost. easiest way to tell is if it is, it wil have a vacuum line attached to it.

the only thing thats been stopping me changing to the efi setup is finding a reg that fits the corolla budget!! :) cheapest i've found new is $260.

so basically what i'm asking is: the malpassi that you are using, is it just a run of the mill EFI rising rate reg that you have been able to reg down to a suitable pressure for the carby at idle???? cause if it is i can find one of these cheap as off any car forum!!

if you could just give me a part number i should be able to work out the rest!

if you don't mind spending a bit of money on your car, maybe look into upgrading to a hilux diff! they would be hard to modify for the rolla and I'll garentee you'll never break those axles. the later hilux diffs also came with lsd's which can be fitted to the older carriers.

hilux diffs are the most common upgrade for old skool rotas (which I also have), and can be found in like 400hp plus 13b turbs!!

Edited by Taz_Rx

i ment how youve done it with a constant pressure

yes i use a rising rate malpassi suited for carbs. runs at ~5psi idle and rising 1to1 with boost. factory on a few cars out there... mg montego, early dihatshui charde 3cyc, and i think renualt fuegos.

i was told by supplier of cheap rising rate regs that they are adjustable rite down to 4psi or so. but was never game enough to try one. then scored a malpassi for free :)

funny you should mention the hilux diff i was looking at one today because i can't sorce any axels at the moment (for my little diff). its just the cost.. this is only my daily driver not a car i spend any money i don't have to on, there all bits i had laying around and make. i have other cars that i will waste my money on :D

btw: mine boosts 12psi so your fuel system might not quite be upto it :D

ive being summing up lately what kind of conversion to do, turbo or twin side draughts,

-my old man rekons that i should do the carbies because he thinks it will be less messing around and will be cheaper and easier to set up.

-i think a turbo would be better because of more power, but i don't know if my old stock 4k will stand up to 6psi for long because i can't really afford to rebuild it,

-can it be run reliabley on my motor without spending to much, i also have a 3k head if it would be any use.

-is it easy to run this as a blow through set up using my standard asian or a datsun nikki carb

-and last of all does anyone have a T2 turbo from a nissan pulsar EXA or ET,

tell me what u think

cheers james

Edited by jamesrolla

cost really depends on how much you can do yourself, I did EVERYTHING on my car, so only parts cost me. (I would have put atleast 50 hours work into it!)

your dad ins deffanitely right, but weres the fun in taking the easy path!! :)

my stock 4k has 6psi gate pressure and 10psi on a switch, apparently if you start running over 12psi then you'll start cracking pistons. k series engines are tuff as shite.

I had a few initial teething problems, which you would have with the twins anyway, but it is reliable now its all sorted. forget the 3k head, what this will do is raise your compression when you want to lower it for the turbo. (this can be done by retarding the timing.)

blow throughs aren't that hard to set up, just a few little sweeks to be made. Darren (untubbed_20) was telling me one of his mates has a 5k with a wrx td04 and top mount, still running a standard corolla carby that makes 90rwkw (f@$ken awesome for a standard 5k) on 12psi i think.

www.gotboost.org (i think) is were a lot of ET/EXA guys reside, i'm sure there would be a turbo or 2 for sale on there....actually i'm going to look for an upgrade now! :D

know what you mean boost+k, I did the whole convo for about $500, thats why i don't wanna blow half that again on just a reg!! :D don't tell me your a rotor head aswell! :D

just realised your in hobart!! if your ever coming up to launy or something, pre-arrange with me to come have a look at my car, and i'll take you for a spin and give you (and your dad) a run down on 4k-tc's! :)

i've been told you can use the dihatshui carbs its look excatly the same as the standard 4k carb but its sealed a bit better and then you just have to re-jet.

i think they will last quite a while on 6psi.. its just getting it to hold 6psi nicely... but shouldn't b that hard with a little turbo.

twin sidies will make a more reliable motor but turbo will make more power... and be tricker to get running smooth. all depends on how much you can do yourself???? but me. i'm hooked.

not really a rotor head but i do have a nice little collection of old mazdas :)

ah that reminds me, the nikkis on older mazdas like 626 1.5 and 2 litres have the same bolt pattern on th manifold. ie carbies go straight on, but you just need to grind down one of the bolt castings to clear the accelerator linkage.

your probably getting sick of me asking you questions boost+k, but what did you do with your ignition??

and also what exactly is your turbo, mine too small really and need an upgrade soon??

ask as many questions as you want. share the info i say... i use a 5k electronic ing and coil from a toyota.

as for the turbo i use a vf10 off a subaru in a 4bolt mazda housing so the wastegate is seperate :)

this thread is gunna be chock full of 4ktc info by the time we're finished!! thats what i say- share the k series love! :D

wouldn't mind trying to find one of those cheap! :D as i've just got a 3k points one at the mo.

what have you done as far as advancement and timing though? has it been regraphed or something.

mines got locked out mechanical (with a couple of cable ties hehe) advancement and no vac advance either. its set at about 20o befor at idle. been thinking about putting half the mech advance back in. with full mechanical advance it contantly blew head gaskets. :)

just realised your in hobart!! if your ever coming up to launy or something, pre-arrange with me to come have a look at my car, and i'll take you for a spin and give you (and your dad) a run down on 4k-tc's! :)

hi m8

as a matter of fact i am up your way over easter, buty will be competing in the mg nationals

PM me ur number and i will try and catch up with you and have a look at your setup

cheers james

this thread is gunna be chock full of 4ktc info by the time we're finished!! thats what i say- share the k series love! :D

wouldn't mind trying to find one of those cheap! :) as i've just got a 3k points one at the mo.

what have you done as far as advancement and timing though? has it been regraphed or something.

mines got locked out mechanical (with a couple of cable ties hehe) advancement and no vac advance either. its set at about 20o befor at idle. been thinking about putting half the mech advance back in. with full mechanical advance it contantly blew head gaskets. :)

i run standard ele dissy set at about 12degress at idle with vac advance and mech advance... the ele ones only run 12 or so mech advance (so i've heard?)

i had a 4k locked dissy before but didn't like how it ran... never tryed a 4k unlocked one tho. i don't really know which works better (vac advance etc) really need to get on a dyno and compare but that would require money :D

i never blew a head gasket on my 4k only rings and valve stem seals (had suck-tho and fuel got into oil) i blew a gasket on my 5k straigght away because the head was warped but havent had any trouble since. rings seem to be the weak point... (on 12psi anyway :D )

what kind of turbo would you guys reccomend, it would need to be cheap and readily avalible and it is only goin on my standard 4k

i have been looking aroung for one from an ET pulsar or exa or something like that, dihatsu charade maybe,

or if anyone has one that would suit, i would be intrested in buying one

cheers james

My T2 made 55rwkw on only 5psi, when i had one

on a stock 4k, there are 2 diffrerent ones, unleaded and leaded.

I had the small one, the larger one would be better and easier to get

and not laggy eaither, can't remember which one is which.

It's just not the power, it's the way it FILLS up the torque curve

which makes them fun, and faster than they have a right to be.

They only need 55-60 rwkw in a ke-10 to do low 15's, 70rwkw to get into low 14's

With 90rwkw they will be in to the low/mid 13's at 100-102mph:), good 1.8/1.7 60ft's of course

cheers

darren

Edited by untubbed_20