R31 Diff For Sale Disscussion

Xany

Just weld on some mounts and your away.

These diffs need to be shortened to fit in any corolla.....you can't "just weld mounts on" as you say. The axels and the housing need to be cut and rewelded. Also most corolla tailshafts need to be shortened about 40mm as the yoke on the diff is a touch longer than the standard corolla item.

Edited by Xany

Members dont see this ad

Standard r31 diff is 1460mm..

They come in these varients.

R31 Skyline Manual - 3.7:1 28 Spline axles 4 pinion

R31 Skyline Auto - 3.9:1 28 spline axles 4 pinion

R31 Pintara Manual - 3.9:1 25 spline axles 2pinion

R31 Pintara Auto - 4.11:1 25 spline axles 2 pinion

The ke35/55 rolla diff is 1320mm iirc

Ive heard of people using different offset wheels on ke7x and getting the diffs to work without shortening but that should a bit annoying to me.

also the LSD centres in these diffs are pretty average been a cone type.

edit: for the money its a good diff none the less, will take a beating and there are plenty of minispools available for the BW

GL with the sale.

Edited by furryfrog

These diffs need to be shortened to fit in any corolla.....you can't "just weld mounts on" as you say. The axels and the housing need to be cut and rewelded. Also most corolla tailshafts need to be shortened about 40mm as the yoke on the diff is a touch longer than the standard corolla item.

as with any diff upgrade for a corolla t-series etc that i've seen you'll need a custom tailshaft of some description, thats pretty much a given

you CAN just weld the mounts on, custom tailshaft and away you go if the extra track doesn't worry you

also considering before i found this i was offered a ra23 t-series for $150 i think the price etc is very reasonable

the centres can be pretty average, but i've found it depends on the way you drive, in my mates skyline if he just powers over out of a corner it can sometimes only spin a single however if you actually flick it out and use abit of clutch it spins twins everytime. (this was all done on private property of course)

this is also the reason why i included the fact minispools and 2way mechanical lsd's are available. Minispools go for about $80-100 on ebay, and i've herd of 2ways being had for about $800 this howerver was when the australian dollar wasn't so shit!

i will have it sent to the mainland at the buyers expence however i don't want anyone to buy something, have it sent all that way and think its a dud, i was going to use it in my car, but had every intention of using a minispool and putting new seals etc in

I'm about to go and take some photos,

and your PM has been replied "KE ping it real"

gotta agree there,

ke10 = 1320mm?

ke20/25 = 1320mm

ke30/55 = 1355mm

ke70 = 1410mm?

r31 = 1460mm

ke corolla wheels are quite a positive offset to begin with, around +30p,

they are close to the front struts in most cases already. so with the same

wheels all round you are limited unless you want very positive rear rims

compared to the fronts could look a bit odd thats all.

ke70 might be alright as its +30mm per side, other ke corollas are too narrow.

the stock wheels may clear but any wider rims/tyres would need a more positive offset to suit.

minispools / full spools are illegal as it locks the wheels but are great for

track work and a lot cheaper than lsd.

that cone type lsd is popular, cheap and works but not very well or

for very long however its a cheap option. better aftermarket lsds are

avaliable as mentioned.

Edited by styler

love how everyone has something to say in forsale threads

just to put an argument to rest

http://i10.tinypic.com/8g9i2dl.jpg

that has a non shortened r31 diff in it

those are stock s13 wheels 15x* with a + offset

if you want to shorten it then thats your choice, but you CAN put it in a k30 onwards without shortening

these days the desired stereotipical look is fitment, sitting flush with the gaurds and there you have it.

yes lockers, minispools, full spools etc etc are illegal but so are half the things people do to their cars,

drive sensibly don't hang skids in suburban areas and learn throttle control and you'll be fine

I was stating the fact that the R31 diff is over 100mm wider than the standard corolla item, that it would need to be shortened to fit normal wheels on and to prevent scrubbing. In my eyes you were trying to deceive the buyer into thinking that the diff would bolt straight in after "just welding mounts on" which is wrong, because as you know you would still have to shorten the tailshaft no matter what. I should know, i've had one of these diffs sitting out the side for about 3 years now cause i can't afford to shorten the tailshaft.....My housing and axels have been shortened though.

Edited by Xany

I have a shortened R31 LSD in my KE30 2 door. If you want to do it properly, you have to get it cut and the flange re-welded on. Weld on the new leaf spring mounts. Then get it straightened and heat treated. Can be a costly experience, but thats what you pay for a proper job.

I run 15"x7" Globes with +20 or +3 offset (can't remember which is on the front and rear). Anyway, they just sneak inside the gaurds.

I also purchased a brand new 4.11:1 ratio and had the lsd rebuilt, so its tight as a drum.

On a side note, I found that Commodore pads don't fit in these callipers whereas the brake place told me they would and actually sold me a set of EBC Green Stuff pads.....

Maybe other brands vary in thickness and thus will sneak in, but the ebc ones are too thick.

post-336-1224841704_thumb.jpg

post-336-1224841734_thumb.jpg