Ke70, True 1982 Timewarp. Check It Out!

Ben-89

All that was yesterday, (saturday) after buying the car we didnt muck around. Today was more of little things that had to be done so thanks to Paul (stahls_ae86), he gave me a headlight assembly as inside the passenger headlight the plastic chrome reflector deformed from the heat, so within a few minutes it was changed over and it was time to go to a few wrckers to get the following things:

two matching flat dished trim rings, a 1.6 badge for the passenger guard and a brake pedal rubber. I was lucky to find one clean but faded blue ae71 auto at the wreckers that had what I was after so again within a few minutes I had what I needed and came home ready to polish and install. Though i'm still after one particular centre cap, maybe you may have one?? let me know as I have an unmatching substitute on there! Once that was done the remaining wheel trims and centre caps were taken off to be polished and refitted and came up a treat..

Fixing the passenger side headlight

S5002718.jpg

S5002720.jpg

S5002722.jpg

Next the bumpers will be treated with a black dye so I don't have to armourall all the time, followed by the door mouldings, mudflaps and mirror. But first it needs to pass a roadworthy which I can't see why it wouldnt as the general roadworthy requirements on the car seem well above average.

S5002730.jpg

Edited by "The Mint KE70"

Members dont see this ad

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated!!

The car will be booked in for its roadworthy on Thursday morning so a few preparations and checks were made..... The front brakes were perfect along with the rear shoes that had plenty of life left in them along with the rear cylinders.... The front wheel bearings had a bit of play in them so they were adjusted accordingly and its nice and tight now. I gave the rear muffler a coat of paint to give it a fresh look to tie in with the car also...

Heres more some photos...

Rear drivers shoe.... perfect

S5002733.jpg

Passengers side photo..... perfect

S5002734.jpg

Nice tyres

S5002736.jpg

More finishing....

S5002737.jpg

S5002745.jpg

It came up preety well considering I paid $200.00 for the car! As its my daily it will be in top condition mechanically and body wise as I want it to last some time! Next will be painting of the wiper arms, and a detailing of the engine bay...

Edited by "The Mint KE70"

Thanks undertaker and Andy, I'm glad you both like it! I'm not too sure how metallic blue would come up Andy, I know with solid colours if theres enough paint to polish it, it is possible to have an as new finish. But with metallic I'm not too sure... all you can do is give it a try. Do you have a peroper buffing machine with cutting compound?

I had to prop my battery up so it sits higher in its cradle in order to be secured by the top brace. And with some wood cut down to size and painted black it fitted perfectly in the tray and now the battery sits snug in its cradle, so it should pass part of the road worthy...

The battery prop, once its under the battert it is barely noticeable.

S5002747.jpg

Next it was the engines turn to get some attention, just below the distributor there was a very old oil leak over time that spread down the block onto the cross member and rack boot. It sounds worse than what it really is. Anyway a trip down to the car wash soon solved that issue, so gone was the grease/oil and surrounding dust.

Before, a little dirty and dusty but still not my cup of tea...

S5002748.jpg

A few more after photos, this time all the pipes, hoses basically the whole engine bay was cleaned up to shine... Much better!

S5002749.jpg

S5002752.jpg

Now just a question. I bought this car with just expired rego so its still on their database, but I still have the plates and want to put them back on the car and I was told a from a guy at vicroads that I could provided I had the car roadworthied and when I broguht the car and the relevant transfer papers in, I could pay for the expired rego (as i still have the papers and put the existing plates on the car...

But here is where the problem is... dad went in to vicroads to book the car for next week and the woman said as the rego has expired the plates would have to be handed in and I would have to pay $30.00 for some 2009 general issue plate which I don't want... OR alternatively pay $200.00 to get the originals remade which I will certainly not do as I already have the originals..

Surely the first guy I spoke to was right in what he said, because what this woman said dosent sound right. My question is this, I have seen other people by cars with rego run out and sold with no rwc but have been able to re register the car with the same plates on? any ideas. Becasue my plan was to go to vicroads with my road worthy and transfer papers, get it signed over in my name and once it was then pay/ re new the 2010 rego and then put the existing plates on the car. If there was a small fee to pay id pay it, but like I said the first gut I spoke to never mentioned a fee, all he said was once the car was roadworthy, the rego could be payed/re newed and the old plates could be put back on.... I hope I didnt confuse anyone. And I hope he was right too.

if it is within three months of the rego expiring, you can pay the rego on the car without a rwc, then use the rwc to transfer ownership into your name.

Thats was I was thinking Dave, because the rego just ran out on the 29 of oct 09 so its in the 3 month period. I was thinking of getting the rwc, then when I go to vicroads to transfer the cars details into my name then I would just pay the rego and keep the old plates on the car.. Does that sound right? As opposed to paying the rego before getting the rwc or transferring the car in my name. I hope I didnt confuse you..

Hey Ben nice to see you and you're old man are getting stuck into yet another rolla. It seams we are both doing similar things at the moment! Great work and keep it up. I hope the transfer of plates works out for. Be sure to fill us in on some more details.

Matt.

Hi Matt, I was thinking the same thing. The car just needs a few finishing touches but before I do that all I want is for it to be regoed so I can drive it around for a bit to see how it goes. Then later on I'll replace things like the broken pinstrips with new ones and the rear bumper will eventually be replaced too. I'll adjust the front bumper and sand it back (as its been painted) so it looks right. Also I have a rear louvre for it too, but more importantly the existing clips are already on the window. You will certainly be filled in on the progress my friend! Does you dad have a garage in victoria st Brunwick? if your there on a weekend i'll pop in as grandma lives around there.

Thanks for for the comments guys!

I 'spose get the Rego first, then start worrying about the RWC afterwards, that way it saves all the mucking around. But hurry, you have 13 days left of that 3 Month Period.

Josh :locked:

Hey Josh, roadworthy is happening tomorrow so I'll be informed on what needs to be done. Once I have the rwc I can atleast go to vicroads, transfer the car into my name and just pay for the rego and keep the same plates which appears to be a possibility which is a good thing. Thanks mate.