Rb30e? :s

Jamin

hey all,

i have been reading in some past forums and some one mentioned that the vl and the r31 engine are slightly different i was having a disscution with a mate who owns a vl the other day and he sed they sound different because a longer exhaust is this true? and i thought it was because more valves in the skyline or something :) ha ha (vl 12 valve head r31 16 valve head) thats what i thought

Members dont see this ad
hey all,

i have been reading in some past forums and some one mentioned that the vl and the r31 engine are slightly different i was having a disscution with a mate who owns a vl the other day and he sed they sound different because a longer exhaust is this true? and i thought it was because more valves in the skyline or something :) ha ha (vl 12 valve head r31 16 valve head) thats what i thought

The r31 has the same amount of valves as the vl engine, As far as I'm aware there was nothing internally different (maybe cams who knows) but the wiring isnt the same.

Different tappet covers and wiring, Thats all i know of. Exhaust would be a bit different as the shape of the floor is different between them but i highly doubt that will make a difference.

Edited by AE70

There are a couple of things different concerning installation of engines. In an R31 the cooling system was designed with the engine, in a VL its a bodged up job to suit the styling of the car. VLs make slightly more power, R31s make slightly more torque. (From memory)

saw a regular drifter on the street a few years ago he had a vl didnt do too bad

I had a burgundy auto one, it was really good at getting sideways, that was until I lost it and it went hard into the gutter on the other side of the road.

The diff was hanging out the passenger side by a good 5cm and the drivers side was driven well in. Also had a bent axle. lol.

They are the same internally

In the R31 it made slightly more power.

Also the GTS1 and GTS2 again made more power both had different exhausts, cams and i believe the gts2 even had a piggy back computer.

Also in the vl s1 and s2 blocks are different, you want the s2 for turboing as the oil feed/return and water feed/return just have bungs in them. s1 motors you need to drill and tap.