The Ke30 Project Begins

lildvl83

i have finally acquired a car to work on. shes no beauty, but whats a project if it doesnt need a little work?

plans are to do an engine conversion, convert to 5spd, respray and dress up and re-do the interior. it might take me a while to do but i love to tinker and i can't wait. i will probably start in the new year, once the christmas debts have cleared and the money starts to accrue again.

i havent chosen a motor yet, I'm still deciding. had a few thoughts on colours (thinkin maybe a deep metallic red (not to burgundy though) probably off a current model new car).

anyway, would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

cheers!

kate

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jeez it still has the original plates. I had those style plates on my Valiant and the police made me change them. They are so cool cos the letters and numbers fall off sometimes and you have to stick them back on. Looks like that has happened on the front with the middle "6" in fact.

Anyhow looks like a neat starting point for a project. My vote on colour choice...... Lime Green :lmao:

jeez it still has the original plates. I had those style plates on my Valiant and the police made me change them. They are so cool cos the letters and numbers fall off sometimes and you have to stick them back on. Looks like that has happened on the front with the middle "6" in fact.

Anyhow looks like a neat starting point for a project. My vote on colour choice...... Lime Green :lmao:

Yew my old car! She's got around thats for sure

yeah the original plates were mad, one of the numbers on the back was slowly falling off when I owned it two years ago. Got pulled over just in a breatho, the cop thought it was cool that after all those years it still had the original plates hahaha

Your plans sound great, its good to see that something is finally happening with this car. Just chuck a 5K or even a 4K would be good enough, 5-speed would be good, the old auto was never really quick lol :P I vote for a bright blue of some sort. lime green Ke30s are everywhere :P

Cheers, Ben.

thanks guys!

the car drives sweet as. the diff is noisy though but reckon if i drive it nanna style (oh wait, i have no choice... lol) it'll be sweet til i do the conversion. if the diff goes the car will just stay off the road.

i can't believe all the tachos still work just the clock doesnt. i have a friend who has a 30, both the temp and fuel gauges don't work!

yeh i bought the car off doug on tuesday. the number plates do worry me though cos i really don't wanna get pulled over and defected, if i do i'll just have to try "the dumb chick that doesnt know anything" card and see how it goes. but i love the old skool look. it would look awesome with the venetians once i get them put in.

anyway, thanks for the suggestions, I'm still torn. theres so many choices colour wise considering the car def needs full respray inside and out.

will keep u all updated

cheers

kate

• 2 weeks later...

thought i'd give ya a quik update. havent done much, but the 30 is sportin new tyres all round (theyll do til the paint work is done, then ill be puttin on pepperpots), gave her a service, but she needs a tune she idles pretty rough. have also discovered a wiring prob. as soon as u put key in ignition and switch to on all the lights come on (dash, tailights and parkers) but no headlights (at all) even when you turn the switch, nuttin..... so no night driving :-(

think i have also picked out a colour. was thinkin charcoal with pink pearl.

still havent decided on motor yet, but figure ill get this one running proper and get paint work done first.

ne way will keep u updated

cheers

kate

• 4 weeks later...

god my heads hurting from all the decisions i've been trying to make. first off i took the car to a resto place to get a quote on a full respray and was quoted 7-8k :-( so thats put a dampner on things. so now the question is do i find another car and sell this (would any one be interested?) or just try to get either a donor car for panels and then sell that one? problem is i need a car by next january as i am getting married and my fiancee and i want to use our cars as wedding cars and go with the old school look (hes got a 74 galant). so need to make a decision preety quick so i can get the project under way.

i could have another car lined up. my friends sister is borrowing the car atm but the brake master cylinder has gone and she doesnt know whether she can afford to fix it, so i could possibly have that.

pics are below

ne way let me know what u think?

post-7125-1232861074_thumb.jpg

post-7125-1232861113_thumb.jpg

First off. if you want a 4k and my mate still doesnt want it. you can have my old one which will need a rebuild for the grand price off $50 with a free 4spd.

Secondly, brake masters are about $260rrp. i picked one up from Toyoland for $35 easy fix if you have mechanical abilities.

I think you live round the corner-ish from me.

yeah i do live round the corner from u, I'm at huntfield heights. thanks for the offer of the 4k, but I'm going try hold out til i do the conversion. prob going to do the typical 4age swap. if the brake master cylinder is about $260 I'm guessing id be looking about $300-$400 to have done at a mechanics. i'm trying to work out how much to offer my friend who owns it, its about to run out of rego and obviously has no brakes.