New Clutch

oze_idiot

hey all,

the clutch in my AE112 is on its last legs an needs to be replaced. I'm currently leaning toward an Exedy heavy duty clutch, but I'm just after some fellow corolla owners opinions and suggestions on what you think i should replace the standard one with.http://www.rollaclub.com/board/style_emoticons/default/hmmmm.gif

Its got a full sports exhaust system, k&n air filter, NGK iridium spark plugs, Top Gun Performance ignition leads. its gonna be taken in for a tune-up soon and to get the timing advanced a bit, but, all this is pointless at the moment coz I'm losing power through the clutch.

Cheers Guys (And Girls)

Members dont see this ad

ive got an exedy h/d brought a car with one, it had been thrashed and thrash still was working but didnt shift very well..

i brought another 2nd hadn one, had about 5,000km's on it so it was still nice and fresh. ive had it in there for 40,000km's and I'm fiarly hard on it. gets dumps/launches, flat shifts, kicks, comp lock etc as well as general daily driving and its not given any sign of failing. last time i replaced the motor clutch plate had worn a bit but still had life left in it. next time ill just get in a puck button clutch (i can get them cheap at whole sale price). I'm very impressed on how much the clutch has taken and is still taking. would prob last an easy 100,000+km's with general daily driving non thrashing.

id recommend them! if your wanting a full out thrash bus then a button is the only way to go.

Edited by tas_ae71

button clutches are ridiculous for street use IMO.

But remember this, the heavier duty you go with the clutch, the more abuse you are likely to give it and the breaking point just moves....

So instead of needing to replace clutches, the box is going to wear quicker..

Exedy heavy duty would be the only "upgrade" i would be thinking about for a standard car.

i had a H/D one in one of my cars, for the way it engaged you might as well go a cushioned button clutch. Plus the fact it slipped. Goodluck getting a replacement from them if your clutch is faulty as well........

But then as previously mentioned for a low-medium HP car i suppose they are the best option. I suppose i didnt really take that into account when posting, sorry.

IMO a cushioned button clutch is a better option and allows for engine upgrades without the need to upgrade the clutch again. I would rather do things right the first time. So it really depends what plans you have for the car in the future.

thanks, ive also heard of a mate of putting a light truck clutch in, for feel and durability.

also, bit of a dumbass question, but whats a good price to get the clutch fitted.

base on $55 p/hr,according to times guide set here in nsw it will take 6.7 hrs ($368.50) to R/R the clutch and flywheel +1 Exedy H/D clutch kit will set you back around $310 plus your flywheel needs to be machined or resurfaced (cost $45) if not it voids your warranty of clutch kit if you don't get it done.i suggest you have a look at your rear main seal while the flywheel is off,save you labour charge if it leaks later.$723.50 sub total + rear main seal??

hope this helps!good luck ;)

thanks for all the help guys,

i wasnt working today so i spent a bit of time under the bonnet. my main objective was to paint the rocker cover, which i did do, but i did notice that my accelerator cably was a bit loose. so ive now adjusted that and its heaps better.

the clutch can probably wait a bit longer now, as half the problem was in a sloppy acc cable, not all in the clutch like i thought.

By the looks of things i will probably end up buying the Exedy H/D clutch.

Thanks again everyone.

• 4 months later...